What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (2 Viewers)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm one of those weird people that actually watched Simon & Simon on purpose (although I will admit they don't hold up to me as well now).

I too also found Simon & Simon didn't hold up at all for me, after I watched the season 1 dvd set.

I vaguely remembered seasons 2+ being somewhat better. Though at the time, I didn't think it was worthwhile buying the ShoutFactory releases of season 2+ at $30 or $40 a pop.

Though with that being said, I did come across the MillCreek "sampler" releases of Simon & Simon of the later seasons and picked those two sampler sets up at $5 a pop. I watched through these two sampler sets, just to find out they didn't hold up either. So this pretty much ended for me any further interest in Simon & Simon.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Nevertheless if ShoutFactory ever releases a Simon & Simon complete series dvd set, I might be tempted to pick it up.

Maybe also a NYPD Blue complete series set, if ShoutFactory ever releases one.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Maybe also a NYPD Blue complete series set, if ShoutFactory ever releases one.

The primary reason I never bothered picking up the individual NYPD Blue season sets (released by Fox and ShoutFactory), was that seasons 3 and 4 were never re-released (yet) as single-sided discs. Fox originally released seasons 3 and 4 as sets of 4-disc double-sided dvd14 flipper discs.

When I first heard that ShoutFactory would continue the NYPD Blue season sets (after season 4), I didn't want to waste any further effort on cantankerous double-sided flipper discs. Around that time, I heard the Hill Street Blues complete series dvd set might be released as all single-sided discs. (The original Fox releases of Hill Street Blues seasons 1 and 2 were also double-sided dvd14 flipper discs).

Last edited:

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
I enjoy Simon & Simon a lot. The storyline is secondary to my enjoyment as I like the way they interact as brothers. Probably because my relationship with my brother is similar. I only have seasons 1-4 because Shout did not include CC with 5-8, I’d buy them if they did. My hope is one day it comes streaming to Netflix, Prime or iTunes. Then I’ll be able to see the rest.

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
I just watched three episodes from season three tonight. Some of the scripts aren’t great but I don’t let that stop my enjoyment. William Smith was a bad guy in one. I have always liked him whether he plays the good guy or the bad guy.
I really enjoy Gerald McRaney as an actor, probably the biggest reason I like the show. He’s just good in everything I have seen him in. Jericho. Deadwood. Longmire. He just excels in tv shows.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
The Time Tunnel is my favorite Irwin Allen series, even the goofy futuristic ones.

I share your enthusiasm for The Time Tunnel. I always liked the characters: Tony, Doug, Ann, Ray, (General) Woody, (Sgt.) Jiggs.
I always associated actress Lee Meriwether with Ann and Whit Bissell with Woody (General).
The cliffhangers/next week teasers were just great.

My favorite episode was "Chase Through Time", guest starring actor Robert Duvall.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I share your enthusiasm for The Time Tunnel. I always liked the characters: Tony, Doug, Ann, Ray, (General) Woody, (Sgt.) Jiggs.
I always associated actress Lee Meriwether with Ann and Whit Bissell with Woody (General).
The cliffhangers/next week teasers were just great.

My favorite episode was "Chase Through Time", guest starring actor Robert Duvall.

I even own the soundtrack CD released through GNP Crescendo Records and John Williams' score for the pilot is great.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
South Park seasons 1-21 and Bigger, Longer, and Uncut on Blu-ray.

Finally took advantage of those new, cheap, and really hard to find 5 season collections.

Also, I Love Lucy S2 on Blu, since I plan to watch that soon and figure I might as well get S2 in the best format possible for the rewatch.

...plus, I found it for $24 bucks, which is much better than CBS's "you'll pay us a hundred bucks per season and like it!" pricing that kept everyone from buying the series on Blu when it came out (me included).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Stranger Things - S1 (because it's only $5 for the Target exclusive BR/DVD/Poster edition in the VHS packaging at Target).

**EDIT**
My excitement over this is gone. Outside the horrible fake VHS packaging (it's "cute" and clever but is too large and eats shelf space unnecessarily but I can live with it) there are over 5 minutes of unskippable promos that play *every* time you insert the disc fresh (BR - it does at least support "resume" so far - I've not checked the DVDs but expect them to be the same). Even if you didn't get all 4 episodes on the disc watched they'll play again when its inserted. I'm considering a return. I can safely say I'll not purchase another Netflix product nor ever rewatch this series (and I was going to purchase S2 had I enjoyed S1 as it's $8 right now). It's not worth the wasted time sitting through forced promos, even if it were free.

The "conspiracy theory" side of me wants to say this was done intentionally to help sink/kill physical sales of the product so Netflix can say "See... people don't want physical. It's streaming only from here on out."

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Stranger Things - S1 (because it's only $5 for the Target exclusive BR/DVD/Poster edition in the VHS packaging at Target).

**EDIT**
My excitement over this is gone. Outside the horrible fake VHS packaging (it's "cute" and clever but is too large and eats shelf space unnecessarily but I can live with it) there are over 5 minutes of unskippable promos that play *every* time you insert the disc fresh (BR - it does at least support "resume" so far - I've not checked the DVDs but expect them to be the same). Even if you didn't get all 4 episodes on the disc watched they'll play again when its inserted. I'm considering a return. I can safely say I'll not purchase another Netflix product nor ever rewatch this series (and I was going to purchase S2 had I enjoyed S1 as it's $8 right now). It's not worth the wasted time sitting through forced promos, even if it were free.

The "conspiracy theory" side of me wants to say this was done intentionally to help sink/kill physical sales of the product so Netflix can say "See... people don't want physical. It's streaming only from here on out."

Had you watched the show before, Howie, or was this your first time experiencing it? (Not sure if you have, or use, Netflix). I find Stranger Things a highly entertaining, engaging show, so would be sorry if the annoying presentation "bugs" on the DVD/ BD set ruined a first-time viewing for you.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Had you watched the show before, Howie, or was this your first time experiencing it? (Not sure if you have, or use, Netflix). I find Stranger Things a highly entertaining, engaging show, so would be sorry if the annoying presentation "bugs" on the DVD/ BD set ruined a first-time viewing for you.

Showtime did the same thing with that sixth-season Dexter release (at least that much in unskippable ads, that showed a spoiler for the finale of that sixth go); worse, that one was on all four discs!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks