What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Kung Fu: The Complete Second Season - The region 2 UK edition, with 6 single-sided discs, as I've read many complaints on Amazon about the Region 1 flipper DVDs having playback problems.

Last edited:

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Batman: The Complete Animated Series.

BTAS.jpg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Just placed the first part of my usual monster summer TV on DVD order, since I'll be heading home for a 4-week visit at the end of July:

Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete First Season
The Bionic Woman - The Complete Series (only $21 on Amazon!)
The Donna Reed Show, Season 2
Adam-12, Season 1
Alias Smith and Jones: The Complete Series
Simon & Simon
- Season 1
Saturday Morning Cartoons: 1970s, Vol. 1

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Just placed the first part of my usual monster summer TV on DVD order, since I'll be heading home for a 4-week visit at the end of July:

Adam-12, Season 1
Simon & Simon
- Season 1
That's some good stuff there, Jeff! Well... except for maybe The Bionic Woman (I never cared for it or its twin The Bionic Man).

I have copies of both of those Saturday Morning Cartoon 60s volumes (that's when I watched Saturday cartoons the most). They're great fun! I've been mulling over the 70s ones as I was still watching for a few years and they have some series I'd like to see again just for fun. I regale my grandkids about what Saturday morning cartoons were like for us 60s kids. It totally amazes them.

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long

Adam-12, Season 1
Simon & Simon
- Season 1
I don't know if you've seen Simon & Simon before. The first season was OK but they revamped in S2 and I think the series got much better. IMHO.
Enjoy your TV - You have a lot of watching to do Jeff.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I don't know if you've seen Simon & Simon before. The first season was OK but they revamped in S2 and I think the series got much better. IMHO.

The only reason I ever watched through Simon & Simon, was that it was usually on immedately after Magnum PI.

If Simon & Simon was on another night of the week, I might not have watched it at all back in the day.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Back in the 80's Thursday was about the only night I watched TV, and back-to-back Mags and the Simon brothers were must-see tv. Simon & Simon definitely picked up in season two after a slow start. I too, might not have watched it if I were willing to get up off the couch and turn off the tv after Magnum. After Magnum started getting clobbered in the ratings by Bill Cosby I followed Magnum to Wednesday nights and made another accidental discovery in the Equalizer. I wouldn't have seen that series either if Magnum hadn't switched nights, but Edward Woodward has become one of my favorite actors.

All that to say, enjoy season 1 of the Simon brothers. But once you work through those 13 episodes definitely pick up some of the later seasons released by Shout!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Enjoy your TV - You have a lot of watching to do Jeff.

Like Glenn, I watched that Magnum P.I. and Simon & Simon double-header religiously as a teen back when they were first run. I haven't seen Simon & Simon in many many years, though...I figure I'll start with S1 and maybe pick up another season or two down the road if it still holds up for me.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
That's some good stuff there, Jeff! Well... except for maybe The Bionic Woman (I never cared for it or its twin The Bionic Man).

I have copies of both of those Saturday Morning Cartoon 60s volumes (that's when I watched Saturday cartoons the most). They're great fun! I've been mulling over the 70s ones as I was still watching for a few years and they have some series I'd like to see again just for fun. I regale my grandkids about what Saturday morning cartoons were like for us 60s kids. It totally amazes them.

Thanks, Howie! I have one of those '60s Saturday Cartoon volumes, and wanted to get one from the 70s, as it has actually more shows that I remember from my misspent youth on the set, like Hong Kong Phooey, Funky Phantom, and Goober and the Ghost Chasers...plus some shows I have absolutely NO memory of, like The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan, Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch, etc.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
All that to say, enjoy season 1 of the Simon brothers. But once you work through those 13 episodes definitely pick up some of the later seasons released by Shout!

Actually, now that I research it a little bit, I'll definitely need to pick up S2 of Simon & Simon at some point, as it has the second half of the two-part Magnum P.I. crossover, "Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend." (I'm pretty sure my Magnum S3 set doesn't have the second part).

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I'm one of those weird people that actually watched Simon & Simon on purpose (although I will admit they don't hold up to me as well now). But then I also watched Matt Houston too.:P
Neither series get a lotta luv now.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I'm one of those weird people that actually watched Simon & Simon on purpose (although I will admit they don't hold up to me as well now). But then I also watched Matt Houston too.:P
Neither series get a lotta luv now.

I LOVED Matt Houston! The Complete Series set from VEI is high on my wishlist. Whether it (or Simon & Simon) still hold up for me now remains to be seen...But other '80s nostalgia picks like Riptide, The Equalizer, The A-Team and (especially) Magnum P.I. still do, so I'm hopeful.

The vast majority of my TV on DVD collecting spans from the '50s to the '70s, but I'm happy to snag a few favorites from the '80s and '90s as well. Don't think I have anything post-2000 on disc, though, other than Firefly.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Actually, now that I research it a little bit, I'll definitely need to pick up S2 of Simon & Simon at some point, as it has the second half of the two-part Magnum P.I. crossover, "Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend." (I'm pretty sure my Magnum S3 set doesn't have the second part).

Part2 of "Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend" crossover is actually on disk4 of the original season 1 set of Magnum PI with double-sided flipper discs.

The re-released single-sided discs version of Magnum PI season 1, dropped the old disk4 entirely.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall

back-to-back Mags and the Simon brothers were must-see tv. Simon & Simon definitely picked up in season two after a slow start.

Like Glenn, I watched that Magnum P.I. and Simon & Simon double-header religiously as a teen back when they were first run. I haven't seen Simon & Simon in many many years, though...I figure I'll start with S1 and maybe pick up another season or two down the road if it still holds up for me.
Simon & Simon is one of my favorite '80s TV series. Loved it then and still love it now. I'm glad that Shout re-released the latter seasons (5 to 8) in the recent past at much more affordable price points, where I scooped them up to complete the series in my collection. I agree that the series really picked up steam in season two, being mostly very entertaining for the rest of the run. Season one is good, but has a different feel to it. I liked the witty writing and often comedic scenarios and characters that were featured in various episodes. No where near as good as the immortal Rockford Files in that respect, however.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Part2 of "Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend" crossover is actually on disk4 of the original season 1 set of Magnum PI with double-flipper discs.

The re-released single-sided discs version of Magnum PI season 1, dropped the old disk4 entirely.

Yeah, I thought it was something like that...thanks for clarifying it for me! I have the single-sided version of Magnum S1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks