What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (3 Viewers)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Gilligan's Island full-series release; I had heard of this 1964-67 CBS comedy in passing, but had never had the opportunity to see it in-depth, so I decided to plunk down $30 for this full-series release at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville today.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Just ordered Highway to Heaven from "The Big River" along with the 1979 Sci-Fi Movie Time After Time (To qualify for free shipping). I was able to get a $10.00 discount by hocking the A&E Sets. I also handed over the 'boots of seasons four and five to "My Little Friend", Mr. B.F. Hammerr. May they

Rest In Pieces! :biggrin: :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Gilligan's Island, The Complete Series (DVD):

(no colorized Season 1 though, DRAT!!)

GilligansIsland_DVD.jpg

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Mike Frezon said:
You actually WANT a colorized season 1?!?
Yes, I know, the Big Fat Colorization Heretic here.

As a photographer, while I always love the artistry of B&W (I love doing B&Ws for friends & customers), I just kinda like my TV series to be in color as much as possible. Particularily true of my favorites from that 1964-1966 era where the first seasons of new TV shows were in B&W and the subsequent seasons in color. I do like my I Dream Of Jeannie colorized Season 1 (part of the Complete Series package) and wish I could get Lost In Space S1 in color (wish they had filmed it in color as well. Even though from the S1 color stills I've seen, Guy William's blue&red outfit looks rather garish).

Conversely, I would not want, say the original The Twilight Zone shows colorized as there was never any color seasons made, well maybe one or two episodes just to see what it would look like. But I like it as it is on my Blu-rays.

Too bad The Addams Family didn't have one or two more seasons after the big transition to color in 1965-66. I would have loved to see a season or two shot in color.

I do have reservations about colorization of old classic B&W films (ex: Casablanca), particularily if done wrong as Ted Turner's 1980s era colorization was (never saw it, never will, except for the occasional color still on the net).

The world itself was not black & white back in 1964 or any other time for that matter (except for the colorblind) and I believe that color helps bring old classic TV series into present day interest. I know quite a few young people (our lovely young Aslin for example) who loves SciFi but won't watch B&W sci-fi films.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Kyrsten Brad said:
The world itself was not black & white back in 1964 or any other time for that matter (except for the colorblind) and I believe that color helps bring old classic TV series into present day interest. I know quite a few young people (our lovely young Aslin for example) who loves SciFi but won't watch B&W sci-fi films.
Then you're doing something wrong. My grandkids (ages 4.5, 9, & 12) *prefer* color programming *BUT* they dont' let the lack of color stop them from watching something I've selected. After a few "lectures" on why BW stock was/is used and how a good film is a good film whether in color or BW they no longer complain. I've also pointed out how in some instances a BW film is *more* effective than had it been shot in color (and the same for some color films). I'll still get a occasional "I wish this one was in color" for some films and TV shows but it's no longer a deciding factor when selecting something to watch.

I first saw The Exorcist in glorious BW (had only a BW set at the time) and to this day wish it had been filmed in BW because, for me, it's more horrific and effective when viewed in BW than in color (with the possible exception of the green pea vomit - but that's a single scene).

And back on topic.

Sabrina, The Teenage Witch - S3

Superman: The Animated Series - V3 for another series completed

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
Color or black and white should be immaterial in watching a classic television show or movie. In many ways black and white is better because it can convey a mood where color tends to ape reality.

Unless, of course it is Technicolor or some of the 1960s color television programs. There were better than real life color.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The colorization of Season 1 of Gilligan's Island is atrocious. They show them on MeTV and it looks just dreadful. The characters faces look like they are wearing about three inches of pancake makeup. Skipper's shirt color chages from scene to scene. At first too light. Then too dark. Gilligan's light blue pants look dirty white instead of any hue of blue. The backgrounds (like distant trees) are still in black and white. Everyone has gray teeth. Ginger's hair looks nothing like the sulty red head we all know from the color seasons. There are no contrasts to the color. In short. It doesn't look natural at all. Stick with the original black and white. The picture looks so much better.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've never really seen any colorizations that have been satisfactory--to me.

And I think most people speaking on this issue are aware (but I guess I feel that it's my duty to gently remind about the mission of the HTF):

We the members of the forum are interested in the film product to be recorded and reproduced as closely as possible to the way the original creator(s) of that particular film intended. We respect the integrity of all artists involved in creating the original film as well as those who helped bringing the product to a form suited to be used in a home theater environment.

It is my opinion that TV shows that were presented in black & white should be seen in black & white. Colorizing some episodes (or entire seasons) because some later episodes (or seasons) were broadcast in color seems rather arbitrary to me. Maybe we should change the later color episodes to B&W for some notion of uniformity instead?

I also will gently remind about these other parts of our mission--lest we get caught up in this argument (which, technically, is not the point of this thread anyway):

Discussions on this forum are polite, cordial and respectful. We do not hesitate to express our opinion on matters involved, knowing other members may or may not share those opinions. We will always respect opinions of other members, even if we do not share a particular opinion ourselves. We will not verbally attack other members in a personal way, but instead try to contribute to the common knowledge about, and understanding of all applicable topics discussed.

We like others to take pleasure in what they apparently do like. We will never post with the sole intention to spoil other's pleasure. On this Forum, we want to feel at home and make each other feel at home.

Another thread has been revived for this discussion. We should move this discussion there.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Many of my favorite shows like The People's Choice , Tightrope , Topper , December Bride , Andy's Gang , Adventure In Paradise , East Side West Side , Gray Ghost , Casey Jones , Run For Your Life , Trackdown, Pete and Gladys, The Millionaire, etc. etc. WILL NEVER BE RELEASE ON DVD.
On these shows I settled for crappy bootlegs . If a company like Legend decided to release legitimate colorized , uncut, complete seasons of any of these hopeless shows , I'd buy them in "2 seconds flat". It's better than never seeing them again or watching the versions I have now.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I hear you LouA. This past Saturday I threw out a set of disks I had from season four and five of Highway to Heaven after taking delivery of the complete series from Mill Creek from "The Big River". You really can never say never, each and every year since I began collecting DVDs I'll buy illicit copies of a show that I believe has a snowball's chance in a certain infernal region of getting an official release. Then, low and behold, an official release is made.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Regulus said:
I hear you LouA. This past Saturday I threw out a set of disks I had from season four and five of Highway to Heaven after taking delivery of the complete series from Mill Creek from "The Big River". You really can never say never, each and every year since I began collecting DVDs I'll buy illicit copies of a show that I believe has a snowball's chance in a certain infernal region of getting an official release. Then, low and behold, an official release is made.
It's a great feeling when you can give or throw away that "illicit " copy and replace it with a new legit quality release . I got rid of bogus copies of Car 54 , Sgt Bilko , Dobie Gillis ,Sea Hunt , Highway Patrol, later seasons of Have Gun Will Travel, among others . I wish I could replace Gray Ghost , Casey Jones all the titles on my list plus a bunch more .
BTW ,Highway To Heaven is on it's way to me - Amazon!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks