What's new
World Wide Stereo

What's that stuff called and where can I get it? (concealing cables/ wires) (1 Viewer)

Philippe Kline

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard it called 'black flex looming' and 'flexible conduits', but that's not getting me anywhere at my local Home Depot + Lowes.. What I need is a to bundle power cords, speaker wire, video cables, etc., so that I don't have that friggin' rat's nest of a mess anymore. I know NOT to bundle the different types of cables/wires together, so I need to get a lot of this stuff. What kills me is that I've seen it b/f, but I can't remember where. It looks like very flexible black tubing w/a slit down one side..
Oh, and I need to get this done by tomorrow night (B-day party demo is this weekend!) , so B&M recommnedations is highly preferred.
Help!!

728x90

Jon Gum

Stunt Coordinator
Philippe -

I, like yourself, have seen others talk about this, but I have never been able to find it.

What I went with is a velcro product that comes in a long strip. You can cut to fit it - on one side is the "hook" side and on the other is the "other" :b side (can't remember what the "other" side of velcro is called).

Anyway, it works great and has the flexibility to allow you to space then across the wire as loose or as tight as you want.

P.S. - AVOID the velcro product that is already precut where you have to thread one end through the opposite end around the cords. This product was not very well thought out - I started with this product and scraped it all to go to the long strips.

Good luck,
Jon

Philippe Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Joe Gum, thanks for the tip, but I want to conceal all the cables/wires into tubes so there's less to look at, not just bundle. And, I figured out what it's commonly called-'split-loom tubing', but I still can't find some that's thick enough anywhere (called a few hardware stores and such.) Every one of those places seem to carry stuff that's 3/4" max and I need at least 2"..
Any clevelanders or internet savvy folks have a clue where I can find this in my area (Cleveland, OH.)?

Travis Destasio

Auditioning
Perhaps you could try a auto supply place like pep boys or autozone. I have that kind of wrap under the hood of my car. Good Luck

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
Philippe,

You'll be hard pressed to find that type of tubing (also commonly referred to as "smurf tube") in your local HD or Lowes in sizes above 1".

When you get into the amount of cabling you're talking about most people are probably either splitting up their cables so that they'll fit in multiple 1" sleeves, or going with a rigid conduit.

That being said, you may want to contact these folks and find out who their distributors are:

Flexhaust

Can't tell from their site how flexible this product is, but it's made for cable routing and it's available up to 2"OD.

ShaunC

Auditioning
BTW... can you imagine what a rat's nest it would look like without the conduit :b

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Man, today I was troubleshooting a video distortion problem with a television. It turns out, a coaxial cable was receiving interference from an AC power cord.

All this split loom has me worrying about interference from running wires parallel to eachother.

Why not try and use spacers or at least let the cables run wild and free of being bundled tight. I'd at least bundle all the AC cords in one maybe using zip ties or electric tape, and keep the signal cables separated from them.

I organized one guy's entertainment center using nothing but electrical tape. :) It turned out alright.

Good luck with the rat nest though.

ShaunC

Auditioning
Chris,

I agree with you on keeping power cords away from interconnects and speaker wire. I only bundle "like" wires.

As far as usuing electrical tape, I just keep thinking what a pain that would be to undo.

Zip ties are good, but I find it difficult to safely remove from wires. To much chance of slipping and cutting a perfectly good $30 cable trying to get the zip tie off. I use zip ties toe keep the conduit secure.

Later,

Shaun

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I found mine at a local "junk" shop called OEM parts, but Ive also seen it at electronic shops. If you need a larger that 1" you could by a Shop-Vac hose and spilt it yourself. You might try calling around to some of the smaller communications contractors in your area and ask if they would sell some to you. Alot of these guys use it for routing patch cables,phone lines, etc, so they probably have some on hand.

Philippe Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Bed Bath & Beyond? Yes!! Thanks everyone :D
Oh, and Chris Tsutsui, yes, I wil only be bundling like wires together. You guys rock!

I hope you have'nt bought the tubing yet. I manage a Home Depot here in Atlanta and I use and always recommend our sump pump hose. It is 1.25 inch in dia. and 25' long. The only draw back is that you have to slit it your self. This has not been a problem. The best part is that it runs about $8.00 for the roll.
Hope this helps.
Scott

Philippe Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Niiice- thanks, Scott. Can you tell me how flexible is that sump pump hose? Is it comparable to the other types we've been discussing? Also, is it easy to cut/split?

Very easy to cut. Of course make sure you have a new blade in your knife. I found that a little help from another person holding the tubing at the other end will allow you to keep the slit you are cutting straight.
Hope this helps.
Scott
Any time you or any one else needs Do It Yourself Theater info just drop me a line. I promise not to plug the store that I work for. I just love this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks