What's new

What's more important 1080i or built-in ATSC tuner? (1 Viewer)

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking towards getting a 55" Mitsubishi Widescreen set. And both are sold at Best Buy. They have a 55" HDTV monitor that I could get for $1800 or a 55" HDTV w/ ATSC tuner for $2200. Money's not really a factor, but one thing that is discouraging about the more expensive true HDTV is that only one of its component inputs does 1080i. The other 2 do only 480i/480p. Right now I have a Panasonic RP-82 and a Xbox that I would like to connect component wise. Is the trade off for a built-in HDVT set worth it to lose 2 1080i capable inputs? Here is my situation.

1. I watch a lot of DVDs, and will be supporting HD-DVD, so that 1080i input will be used.

2. I'm also a gamer, and although only one Xbox game does 1080i right now, future games and gaming systems might do 1080i.

3. I only receive the most basic cable broadcasts right now. The local channels plus one or two other channels. I have little to no desire to upgrade to digital cable or Direct TV. It is a plus to be able to get basic cable channels in HD though.

So according to my situation, which of these sets do you recommend? Thanks for the help.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
You can always get a separate tuner. I would say if you have other 1080i sources make sure you have the appropriate number of 1080i inputs. However I am not familiar with the TV's in question so I can't help you there but in general, if I had 3 1080i sources, I would make sure my TV had 3 1080i capable inputs.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
There are a couple of considerations: you have the internal tuner that you have. Most internal tuners are only good for OTA signals, so if you subscribe to a satellite service such you will still need to purchase an external tuner (that can be used as for OTA as well as the satellite signals).

On the other hand, if you are basing your purchase on the number of component inputs, this limitation can be overcome with a component switching box. Most of them will allow four sets of component inputs. Some receivers will also accept multiple component inputs.

Satellite HD receivers run from under $450 for the older, discontinued models such as the Hughes E86 to ~$700 for the newer models. I have not read any comparisons to the Mitsubishi internal tuner.

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Good post Lew. Does one of them have Firewire & NetCommand? I would pay $200 in a heartbeat for the Firewire. I have a new Mitsubishi 55" WS-55511, and it was $2,400. It is integrated, & also has Firewire. There have been recent agreements from the cable companys & equipment manufacturers regarding Firewire. I would care more about that than the extra input. My Yamaha RX-V1 has 3 component inputs in, one out. Make sure the Receiver has enough bandwidth for HDTV switching, many do NOT.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I believe the recently announced agreement suggests firewire will only be used for recording, not for display. At least that's what a recent NY Times article implied in its interpretation of the agreement.

_Man_

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
None of the older STBs (e.g. RCA 100, Hughes E86) have firewire or DVI outputs. DirectTV has mandated that manufactures have DVI outputs for the newer STBs (e.g. Samsung TS-160), but none of them have (to my knowledge) firewire outputs.

Some Dish STBs to be released have firewire, and, I think a JVC model has both firewire and DVI outputs. But these have not yet been announced as having OTA (or analog) cabilities.

The announced Dish HD PVRS seem as though they will use DVI as their interface. I think that we will have to wait and see what the industry really uses as the standard for recording.

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
I'm only speaking of Cable boxes, not external tuners or Satellite. In my area, Time Warner cable is the best option.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Sorry I misread Patrick. Motorola makes (or will make) a couple of cable boxes with firewire: this link and this one have more information. The second link is a model with a PVR.
Hope that this helps. Here in the Park Cities we have Charter Cable (and so far they really only have HBOH as their HD offering). I'm on the satellite, but I'd change if there was a reason. I get most of my HD OTA.

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in Time Warner San Antonio's reach. ALL the boxes offered by Scientific Atlanta in this market already have Firewire. Is it active, nope. But it's there, LOL. As far as their offering goes, it's CBS, ABC, HBO, & Showtime. They SAY that NBC, FOX, PBS, Discovery, & ESPN should be announced soon. I can't get ANYTHING OTA where I am that I know of.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I just got my TWC cable service installed here in downtown Brooklyn this morning. They provided a Scientific Atlantic 9100HD STB, and I'm able get the usual locals + HBO and Showtime in HD. Well, actually, FOX is just 480p.

_Man_

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I have a new Mitsubishi 55" WS-55511
How do you like that TV? I've had mine for about a week now and anything HD looks amazing.

I'm dissapointed with DirecTv, but that's really not the T.V.'s fault. Monster's Inc. from a progressive scan DVD player is awesome!

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
I like it alright. I sold a 2 year old Sony 61" RPTV & got this one. Needless to say, the regular 4:3 TV looks like crap. Progressive DVD's look amazing though. I'm out in the boonies, and can't get OTA HDTV. My HD cable box will be here Jan 25th, BARELY in time for the Super Bowl. I can't wait for HDTV! As far as netcommand goes, the jury is still out. How about you?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks