What's new

What's a step up from the Dayton 10" sub? (1 Viewer)

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I'm pretty, no, really, confused about my situation. First of all, I bought a Dayton 10" sub that didn't sound 'good' (will explain), and I returned it and got another one, and it doesn't sound good either. So, either I'm getting some bad Daytons, or I'm more picky.

The biggest, most confusing thing to me, is that when I got the first Dayton sub, it sounded good. Really good, and clean. Then it changed, got more rumbly, distorted and clattery on higher LFE levels and also just didn't sound like it was getting enough power. Then I replaced it and the next one sounded the same. I've since replaced my cables, my electrical wiring, and my receiver, and it's still not good. That right there is baffling.

But here's the thing. I took the 2nd sub to a parts store, and they plugged it in to their receiver, and they verified that it didn't sound good. It was rattly and not as good as their JBL $130 sub that was next to it. We tried a couple different receivers - same thing.

So, I don't know, but I'm trying to return this and figure out what to do. Maybe I just need to upgrade?

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
You don't "need" an upgrade although that's usually a good idea. The Dayton will eat the JBL for lunch. Something is wrong with the sub. There are lots of possibilities. Have you called PE?

David

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Thanks for confirming that the Dayton should trample the JBL. I was beginning to doubt.

I called PE and yes, I'm still sending back the first one, and I guess I could send back the 2nd one too. Problem is, I pay the $60 shipping, and if they don't find a problem with it, I have to eat that up. The guy on the phone didn't know what the deal could be, and maybe they got a bad batch of subs but they'd never had issues before. I sure hope I'm not dreaming it up. But, I do know that in my house and at the store, it sounds pretty sub par.

Max F

Second Unit
$60 shipping, are you sure?

If you keep getting bad subs i would get a refund. This is from one that has the Dayton and like it (for the price). Seems like it may be a bad batch or something.

Jeremy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Oh crap! I just ordered one of those yesterday. It's supposed to be here on Monday. I really hope they don't have a bad batch of them :frowning:

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I have had mine for 3 months. It is awesome! I have it in a corner and it really has a nice punch. 25 hz and a nice sound. Are you sure it is not your room and or the placement? Any sub that is turned up too high, not calibrated, etc. may sound boomy/muddy.

If it rattles then you have a problem...

GregAV

Agent
Lanny,

Did you check the screws holding the driver? If 1 is loose and you have a leak, you'll get an odd vibratto sound. Just place the sub on it's side while you play some LFE material and place your fingertip over each screw, you should be able to detect a change in tone if loose.

I got my Dayton the 1st week they were offered and it had that condition, Parts Express sent me a roll of rope caulk(free) to seal up the driver, but merely tightening the errant screw corrected the problem and has been trouble free ever since. Great little sub for the money, couldn't be happier. *well I could... but SVS costs a tad more than I can spend*
smile.gif

Greg

Lanny_B

Second Unit
^^ Thank you. I will try that as soon as I get home. I really hope that's the solution to my ongoing, unending problem.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
quote:Then it changed, got more rumbly, distorted and clattery on higher LFE levels and also just didn't sound like it was getting enough power.

Are you saying that a few days/weeks/etc. later, the sound changed and when played at the SAME volume levels?

Or, that the higher you turned it up, the louder these distorted and clattery sounds became, when brand new & later on?

Lanny_B

Second Unit
quote:Are you saying that a few days/weeks/etc. later, the sound changed and when played at the SAME volume levels?
Yes, I kept the volume levels the same. I've double checked them and they're all at their default or mid levels.

That's why this doesn't make sense unless I really did just get a bad batch of Daytons. Either that, or I'm imagining the sound was better. If it's the latter, then I'm going to be out a lot of money when I send these back. I'm going to check the screws here in a few minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks