What's new

What's a pre-out on a receiver? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
I just read that the bedroom receiver I just bought doesn't have a pre-out. What does that mean and why is is bad? Thanks!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, sometimes you may want to upgrade your system in the future, and say add a better amplifire than the one currently in your reciever... Without a pre-out, you would not be able to do that...

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
A pre-out jack is used to connect an external power amplifier to the receiver, rather than using the built-in amps of the receiver.

It is different than a line-level jack in that the receiver's pre-amp functions are applied to the signal (things like volume, bass/treble/EQ, etc.). Ordinarily, the line-level output jacks (like tape monitor out) don't do any processing to the signal, just passing it through directly.

I think the signal level of a pre-out jack is higher than line-level, so as to drive the power amp sufficiently.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I think one use of pre-outs people were doing was using the pre-outs of the rear L/R going to a 2nd Pro-Logic receiver to dematrix the rear stereo on a DD EX signal and create the rear center from the L/R.

Rather clever if you upgraded and still have that old receiver around.

MichaelGomez

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question about that. I have a Sony str-DA555ES receiver that has pre-outs. How do I use this to get more than the standard 5.1 and DTS? Any thorough explaination would be grately appreciated.

Mike

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

Run cables from the Left & Right surround pre-outs on your Sony to the main inputs on a Dolby Pro-Logic receiver.

Then run your Left, Right & Center Surround speakers off the Dolby Pro-Logic receiver (instead of the Sony) and, voila, you have 6.1!

Remember that you won't have DTS-ES (a discrete 6.1 format) with this set-up though. What you'll be able to do is decode the soundtracks that have a surround back channel matrixed in to the left & right rear surrounds. (Like The Phantom Menace, if I'm not mistaken.)

Rob

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, DD EX is matrixed, but DTS ES is not.

And of course matching volume levels can get trickier with this too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks