What's new

What's a good HT System for $300-500? (1 Viewer)

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
$300 to $500 for what: tv, receiver, and speakers, receiver and speakers, speakers, what exactly are you looking for?

david*mt

Second Unit
JBL E30's for mains
EC25 for center channel
E10's for rears

Just add the Dayton sub and this should be a little less than $500.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
DavidMT...your way over what he wants to spend. My idea is save for another year and when you get up to the 1K area you try again. Seriously your not going to do much better that the speakers in you TV unless your in a 10X10 room. Or knock it down to two good stereo speakers with a receiver and add speakers and a sub when you get the money. You can set your stereo speakers on phantom for movies and you won't miss that much.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Having run the TYKES system this week in a 27x24 foot room, I can easily suggest it... They have "B" stock right now for $249... then take the other $251 and put it aside, and, if you decide you need to, you could add a few $$$$ to it and upgrade the subwoofer later.

Fantastic little system !

JohnnyCasaba

Agent
I'd suggest looking at 3 pairs of the Athena AS-B2's from Amazon for about $450.00 shipped and adding a sub later or getting the Dayton sub from Parts Express for $125.00 plus shipping. Here are the links:

Sub

Speakers

Good luck with your search.

Jimi C

Screenwriter

with all due respect.. ^simply untrue^....
the rocket tykes, the fluance sxhtb, pretty much anything will blow tv speakers out of the water.

Maybe hes a millionare and just thinks it would be stupid to spend more than $500 on speakers.. His budget is $500 and to suggest "spend $1000".. not really helpful imo..

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
You could be right, I have a rocket set up (750's/200/300) that I love but I also have a great Pioneer TV that has pretty good speakers in it too, I mean works great for news and dialog, never for movies. I am a huge Rocket fan and supporter but I have not tried the tykes and always assumed they were for like your bedroom or office. Darn thats two mistakes this year.... seriously I have been there over the last 15 years buying what I could and always upgrading. I wish I would have just used the old stereo and my TV set (a 19"er back then) and waited a few years before I started as I have wasted alot of money on upgrades I never should have done or at least should have waited and done it right. I'd love to help this guy but I gave him what I felt was the right answer and that is to wait a bit until you have enough money to really get a great starter set with a decent receiver, all speakers and a sub thats really a sub. Or better yet get one at a time and be done with it in a couple years and have way better equipment. Anyone tried selling a home theater in a box lately and what was your rate of return on it.... There might be a few but most of the time the answer will be gave it away, handed it down to a family member or threw it away. If you have to do it now though you can't beat the price and the quality of the Tykes and the company they come from is known for the best customer service in the industry. They are getting good reviews. Also sorry too as I missed his statement. I thought the $500 was including a receiver. Hope this helps explain my statement.

david*mt

Second Unit

Not true. You can order those JBL speakers from Bestpriceaudiovideo.com for $357 shipped. That would leave just enough to buy the Dayton sub and still stay under $500. I don't think he could do any better for the money.

EricCrane

Agent
I guess it kinda depends on a few things:
1. What size of a room do you have
2. Do you mostly listen to movies or music
3. Can you crank the sound up (do you live in a dorm or apartment)?

Ty_N

Auditioning
Get the Polk RM7200 system with a sub for 500 at almost any Fry's. It's on clearance. If you look around, you can get the RM7600 with a sub for 600.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks