What's new

What would you like to see next from criterion? (2 Viewers)

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
After Seconds, I'd love to see The Parallax View given the Criterion treatment.

(I've mentioned elsewhere that it would make a great Twilight Time title, but they don't have a deal with Paramount.)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
FELLINI SATYRICON
SPARTACUS
A DeMille BD Box (KING OF KINGS, CLEOPATRA, SIGN OF THE CROSS, THE CRUSADES)
I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING
NIGHTS OF CABIRIA
Actually for the 100th, the 1914 CABIRIA

We can dream.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
A Matter Of Life And Death49th ParallelHeaven Can WaitYoung And InnocentPreston Sturges box (Christmas In July Great McGinty Hail The Conquering Hero Lady Eve Miracle Of Morgan's Creek Palm Beach Story Sullivan's Travels)Hey, I can dream too

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Keeping strictly to titles in my collection that Criterion issued on Laserdisc that no one has issued on Blu-Ray:

Shampoo
Tootsie (the commentary by Sydney Pollack isn't on the DVD's Columbia put out)
Polyester
Pink Flamingos
Three By Scorsese
Television Toys

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Brian McP said:
I second that emotion regarding "The Alamo" -- considering the great job RAH did on the IAMMMMW set, they certainly owe him and I think Criterion are the only people to give this movie and restoration the proper presentation.

Personally, a little 69 minute 1937 comedy called "Way Out West" would be my 'I have a dream' request from Criterion -- if not, the tv and theatrical versions of "Marty" in the one set -- and a documentary on Paddy Chayefsky as a special feature.
And I third the call for a Criterion DVD release of the 202-minute roadshow version of The Alamo! I just recently purchased the 167-minute DVD released by MGM in 2000, but I would love to own the more complete version.

I would also love to see Criterion release Judgment at Nuremberg (the special edition DVD released by MGM in 2004 is OOP) and The Scarlet Pimpernel (1931).

Darby

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
WAR AND PEACE (Bondarchuk)
DERSU UZALA (from 65mm elements with multi-track sound)

SHOLAY
THE BRAVE HEARTED WILL TAKE THE BRIDE

The latter on two of the most popular and acclaimed Bollywood films, and deserve pristine xfers and Criterion's attention.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Russell G said:
I'd be shocked if we didn't get Eraserhead sooner than later, the trailer has been online for a while now..
At the last Wexner Center chat, they said they were waiting for David Lynch's involvement/approval before ERASERHEAD will be released and that it might be awhile before it gets done.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Darren Gross said:
WAR AND PEACE (Bondarchuk)
DERSU UZALA (from 65mm elements with multi-track sound)

SHOLAY
THE BRAVE HEARTED WILL TAKE THE BRIDE

The latter on two of the most popular and acclaimed Bollywood films, and deserve pristine xfers and Criterion's attention.
SHOLAY was released in 70mm in India. You can always check sites in India that sell bluray discs (indura.com) and request any film for a future bluray release. Your favourite Indian film may even be available on bluray? My favourite Indian film has already been released on bluray: DILWALE DULHANIA JAYENGE (2 discs with an extra disc of extras.).This film holds the world record for the longest run of a film continuously screening at the same cinema (more than 10 years)..See it and you will understand why it was so popular. All Indian films have English subtitles and Indura.com is the best site to buy from.Their service is fantastic.HAUNTED was India's first 3D film and it is available on bluray. I am not a huge fan of Indian films as their plots tend to follow the same storyline but occasionally I buy them either from Indura.com or my local Indian dvd shop - a few minutes from where I live.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
ahollis said:
How about LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR.
A great cast but mostly a forgotten film today.It would unlikely to sell in huge numbers. Then again,one wonders why so many crappy films are even released on bluray let alone on dvd. (90% of them). What about THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN - a much loved film from Fox -one of the first films shot in cinemascope.THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN ( released in 70mm) and SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS ( 70MM blow-up) and THOUROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE are other fantastic musicals that I would truly love to see on bluray.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Darby67 said:
And I third the call for a Criterion DVD release of the 202-minute roadshow version of The Alamo! I just recently purchased the 167-minute DVD released by MGM in 2000, but I would love to own the more complete version.

I would also love to see Criterion release Judgment at Nuremberg (the special edition DVD released by MGM in 2004 is OOP) and The Scarlet Pimpernel (1931).

Darby
I agree with you re MARTY and WAY OUT WEST. Both classics. THE ALAMO was fantastic when seen in 70mm. The music was unforgettable. a pity it was later cut for non roadshow release.( including two songs).Luckily I have the full version on dvd. It was a massive flop when first released in the cinemas in 70mm. It had its flaws: Some of the casting was bad-Lawrence Harvey and John Wayne, but the battle scenes and especially the extremely moving finale were worth the price of admission. It does however, drag on for too long. It was Wayne's ego trip that badly misfired. It won the Oscar for best sound and that was truly deserved.That was the one thing that I never forgot after seeing in in 70mm. It would have been a far better film if it told the true story of the battle of the Alamo and not Wayne's much distorted Hollywood version.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
David Weicker said:
A Matter Of Life And Death49th ParallelHeaven Can WaitYoung And InnocentPreston Sturges box(Christmas In JulyGreat McGintyHail The Conquering HeroLady EveMiracle Of Morgan's CreekPalm Beach StorySullivan's Travels)Hey, I can dream too
All classic films .I imagine that you mean the original HEAVEN CAN WAIT, not the 1967 remake with Warren Beatty.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Ed Lachmann said:
FELLINI SATYRICON
SPARTACUS
A DeMille BD Box (KING OF KINGS, CLEOPATRA, SIGN OF THE CROSS, THE CRUSADES)
I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING
NIGHTS OF CABIRIA
Actually for the 100th, the 1914 CABIRIA

We can dream.
SPARTACUS has been released on bluray for many years. LA STRADA is one Fellini film that deserves a bluray release-it was his crowning achievement.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
seangood79 said:
More Powell/Pressburger.
Matter of Life and Death, A Canterbury Tale, Tales of Hoffman
TALES OF HOFFMAN was a great film.It was originally released in 70mm .

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
JoeDoakes said:
From Universal

The Suspect
Destry Rides Again
The Killers (upgrade)
Holiday Inn

From MGM

The Long Goodbye
The Alamo (Roadshow version -- last update from Robert Harris was that something might be happening with it)

Other Upgrade

The Devil and Daniel Webster
King of Kings (silent)

From Paramount (or somebody)

Waterloo
The Mating Season
WATERLOO (in 70mm) was a massive flop and a very tedious film that should never have been made.One of the very worst films shown in 70mm

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
cinerama10 said:
TALES OF HOFFMAN was a great film.It was originally released in 70mm .
By coincidence we watched our Criterion Tales of Hoffman DVD last night.
I was unaware it was released in 70mm ... was this format used for any other Academy ratio (non-Widescreen) movie? The image even on DVD is uncannily precise.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
THE BROOD, Swept Away ...(since they release Columbia films would be dun to include the Madonna remake as extra), Remember My Name, A Wedding, Luna, Ressurection, Melvin and Howard, Smile and Citizens Band.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks