What's new

What were the earliest titles released on DVD ? (1 Viewer)

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
If anyone knows what each studio released , and how soon after DVD launched , that would be even more interesting .

Seeing Blue-Ray/HD-DVD approaching on the horizon I was wondering what the various studios might release early doors in this new format , and looking back at DVD seems like as good way to gauge this as any .

Of course I'm hoping for Lawrence of Arabia and the Alien trilogy , but fearful we'll get stuck with Collateral Damage and Star Trek 11:The Final Cash Cow .

Mike_Skill

Stunt Coordinator
Some of the first few from major studios that come to mind:

"In the Line of Fire"
"Desperado"
"Sudden Impact"
"Hard Target"
"Eraser"

"Tombstone" was part of the first Disney batch.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

I think you mean "Sudden Death"

Some of the first WB discs that were released at DVD launch were:

Streetcar Named Desire
Austin Powers
Blade Runner
Batman (1989)
The Mask

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
All the first wave were Warner and MGM.

GoodFellas, The Fugitive, Get Shorty, Wizard of Oz, Blade Runner, Road Warrior, The Exorcist, The Birdcage, Poltergeist, A Time To Kill, Sleepers, Space Jam, Streetcar Named Desire, Batman, Eraser, Lethal Weapon come to mind.

Sony followed with Bad Boys, In The Line of Fire, The Craft, Legends of the Fall. LIVE aka ARTISAN with The Arrival, Basic Instinct etc.

I know I bought GoodFellas, Blade Runner, Road Warrior, Exorcist, Lethal Weapon, Wizard of Oz, Get Shorty the first day they were introduced.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

I can't verify that, but I worked for Best Buy from 1995-97, and I remember late 96 early 97 (dont remember exactly when), but we had a DVD demonstration kiosk setup, and it was explaining the benefits of DVD, and the demo used clips from Twister for the movie part of the demonstration. So if it wasn't first, it was damn near close.

Before april 97, the only softwares avalable were demo disks with only parts of movies. I know that parts of Twister and GoldenEye were used that way. But There was no FIRST dvd. There were something like 30 titles avalable the first day in 5 cities that were used as test market.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Space Jam was sighted in a lot of early player reviews.....not that the availability of THAT title was what motivated me to get my first player in the fall of '97!

BGL

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
la confidential was the first DVD that i got, came free when i bought my player in early "98"

Austin powers was the first DVD that i bought.

'

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
In this thread there is a link to a database of R1 DVD releases. I downloaded the spreadsheet and sorted by DVD Release date. The first movie it has is:
Return Of Boogeyman (Boogeyman 3) 2/1/1997.

Here's where it pegs some of the other movies listed here.
Twister: 3/25/1997
Goldeneye: 3/25/1997
In the Line of Fire: 4/29/1997
Desperado: 6/26/1997
GoodFellas: 8/22/1997

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks