What's new

What was your first DVD? (1 Viewer)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I actually sped up my DVD player purchase just because Snatch came out a month earlier on on DVD then on VHS. I remember I walked into the store and was completely baffled by the fact that it wasn't on VHS. I bought the DVD that night, then a player 2 days later.

The reason I ask is because it was my birthday yesterday, and I remembered about 2 birthdays was when I started going for a DVD collection (which has a whole 30 titles now!)

So, what was everyone elses first experience with this format?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Fasten your seatbelts, we're off to the Polls Area. This one is a classic. :)
My first DVD purchased was American Beauty. I don't remember what my first DVD watched was. I had a few already by the time I bought my player.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I purchased Tomorrow Never Dies (regular edition) and Starship Troopers along with my first DVD player way back in September, 1998. The funny thing is that I still have that Sony DVD player in our master bedroom, but both DVD titles have been replaced with special editions. :laugh:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Fifth Element back in '97 and watched on my 1st gen Panny A300U.
The first one I watched was Blade Runner. :D

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
I Bought Super Speedway as a demo disc for work. 2 months later I Bought my DVD player Panasonic DVDA110. Still works to this day almost 5 years Later. Have since Got a better DVD player. total now about 175 and holding

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Not sure about purchased, but when I got my Panasonic A-120U (the newer version without the bad firmware), I got some GC to Suncoast video which I used to buy Tomorrow Never Dies and The Fifth Element based on the reviews here...
Jay

AllanN

Supporting Actor
First movie watched: Top Gun
First movie rented: The Negotiator
First movie purchased: The Graduate

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator
I bought my DVD player to watch Criterion Brazil (ordered from Amazon), but they first DVD I bought with my player was Cruel Intentions.

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
well the first DVD that i bought was Resident Evil,it was on the same day that i bought my new DVD player;Sony DVPNS415.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I rented a DVD player and The Mask of Zorro when I got my first digital receiver. I had ordered a Toshiba SD-2109 player, but it hadn't come in yet and I couldn't wait, so I went to Hollywood Video (the only store within 50 miles that had DVDs for rent) and rented Zorro along with a 2108 player. When my 2109 finally came in, I picked it up and grabbed The Matrix on the way home. Now, some 200 DVDs later, those are still two of my favorites.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
After one Christmas, I was half-heartedly complaining how everyone one else in the office got a DVD player and I didn't. Well, they all pitched in and bought me one as a recognition gift for some project work I had done.

Anyway.. I believe I bought "Gladiator" on sale at Sam's Club after borrowing a few titles from friends.

The first movie I watched on DVD was "The Mummy".

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I had bought The Matrix before I had a player. When I bought my player, I bought Clerks and Armageddon CC with it.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
For me, it was "Contact" and "Starship Troopers." Target had a deal going, buy a player and get two free movies. So, I paid $400 for a Toshiba 1st gen player (in Aug 98) and got the two movies. Within 2 weeks of that, I had a couple of friends who then bought players as well.

Pat Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Fargo - In the absolutely awful Polygram disk mangler case. I think this package goes down in history as the absolute worst design of all time. Although I've long moved the disk to a different case, I still keep the original abomination for posterity.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Silence of the Lambs, Criterion edition was the first I owned. Dusk to Dawn was the first I saw.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Got my Pioneer DV-500 in July '97 (still spinning away today). Had to drive to North NJ for DVD's (one of the national test market areas). There were only 8 titles out initially. My first was Eraser

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks