What's new

What version of Dog Day Afternoon was Travolta watching in Swordfish??......... (1 Viewer)

Declan

Second Unit
saw DDA for the first time last night (well this morning) and remebering Swordfish i was waiting for Sonny to get away. You'd think that the script writer for Swordfish would have watched the friggin film first.

David Echo

Stunt Coordinator
My own opinion upon seeing the DDA reference in Swordfish was in relation to when Travolta starts going on about how if Pachino was serious about getting the money he should have played hardball and just starting capping the hostages one after the other. The fact that he doesn't do this proves to Travolta's character that Hollywood screenwriters lack balls.

The problem is that DDA is BASED ON A TRUE STORY! If you're going to bitch about a movie for not being hardcore enough, at least pick one that is a completely fictional creation. Oh wait, maybe it's only Travolta's CHARACTER who is ignorant and this is just the screenriters clever little in-joke. NAH!

For the record I absolutely hated the entire movie (Swordfish not DDA) but loved Hugh Jackman. I kept thinking young Clint Eastwood watching him in Swordfish. I really hope the X-men movies become his equivalent of the Dollars trilogy and become a springboard for him into even better movies. Swordfish, Kate & Leopold and Someone Like You notwithstanding of course!

Dave

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
But the multiple ironies of the scene go further than perhaps the filmmakers intended. We can pretty confidently expect that the ending of this movie will not be “a morality tale” — at least not the traditional sort exemplified by Dog Day Afternoon. But the appeal to “realism” — by which the speaker means that outside of the movies not only do ruthless villains neglect to build up suspense but crime actually does pay — is wonderfully double-edged. For by fracturing what are by now long out-dated movie conventions, Sena’s movie produces not more but less realism. Real hostage-takers are more like the muddled and pathetic character portrayed by Mr Pacino than the machine-like and omnicompetent Gabriel Shear presented to us by Mr Travolta. And they rarely if ever escape scot-free with the girl and the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks