What's new

What type of digital cable do you run from your DVD to Receiver (1 Viewer)

Robertto

Stunt Coordinator
I currently run optical but some friends I was speaking to this past weekend (audiophiles) said coax was the best for sound reproduction.

What's everyone's opinion on this?

Thanks

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I agree. Some say bandwidth is better with coax but I don't hear any difference. I run Analog, Optical and Coax as my 70BK is currently my CD source and I like the flexibility.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My pre/pro has one coax and one optical input. The optical is the DVD player and the coax is my LD player and switchable to my MiniDisc player. They all work fine to me.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
This subject has been discussed before over on the Tweaking, Connections and Accessories board. A search should yield some helpful information.

Like Jason, I use a coaxial digital cable between my DVD player and receiver because optical digital cables are not as robust. Furthermore, I use a coaxial digital cable for recording CDs to minidiscs.

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
I use coax & optical from DVD to A/V receiver. Just an
additional option with the optical really.Although the
detection of signals is faster with the optical still I
prefer the coax as it gives a more 'solid' feeling than the
optical which I felt is a bit on the 'hollow' side.

I felt that coax is more suitable for home theater whilst
optical is more for music. Just my personal view but of
course it's very subjective.

MarkPayton

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently using optical for both DVD player and CD changer. Was using coax for the DVD until my Panny 120 died and I replaced it (today) with the new Panny RP62 which only has optical out. I would have preferred coax as many have mentioned for the durability of the cable, but there seems to be no perceptible difference in audio quality...

Robertto

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the feedback!

My friends tend to be at the extreme end of the audiophile spectrum so it does not surprise me that their opinions of off canter w/majority opinion.

I might just go buy a decent coax to see for myself. Can't hurt right?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Coax coz its cheaper (just use a simple composite video cable), and I was too lazy to tell my dad to go out and buy a $40 optical cable :p)

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
Nick, you'll definitely have some sound quality issues if you use an analog interconnect for your digital coax connection. The cables have a different impedence. I tried using one when I first got my receiver and dumped it the moment I heard the difference.

Coax does have a higher bandwidth from a technical perspective, but the primary reason for using it is that the optical connectors don't have as good of a physical connection.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
There are so many names for cables out there. Is a digital coaxial cable actually called a digital coaxial cable?

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Agree with you Michael. Using composite video cables
for digital connection will definitely let to loss of
sound quality on the system. A proper coax cable will
definitely do the job as they are made for it. For composite
video cables are primarily for video images which I vouched
that it provide excellent video transfers because I am using three to connect the component outputs from DVD to TV directly.

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
Leon hit it correctly. the sound is more pronounced and stronger, either that or its my setup. :)
but really I went back and forth listening and definitely noticed that opyical didnt have the presence coax did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks