What's new

What to Use When Writing on Car Windows (1 Viewer)

Denward

Supporting Actor
I'm trying to sell my car and would like to park it someplace conspicuous to advertise it. What do people use to paint stuff on windshields so that it's easily removable later.
BTW, if you're interested, here's my ad on cars.com.

Gary Hensley

Stunt Coordinator
Do not use Shoe Polish like many people do. Once it dries on it is not very easy to get off and the little flakes that you scrape off stick to the paint something fierce.

LewB

Screenwriter
The cashier at the car wash that I use marks something on the windshield that tells the wash operator what kind of wash I've paid for. I could swear that he uses a bar of soap ! Got a car wash in the area ? Ask 'em

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I think it's just soap. Car dealers have colored stuff they use, but it's probably just colored soap.

KJP

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
But wouldn't soap wash off after it rains, unless you put it on the inside of the windshield, but it'll make it harder to clean....

I was thinking of a wax based thing, perhaps a large crayon??? Never tried it though.

Jay

Stephen_Opipari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
I would think soap as well. Or how about that temporary stuff that kids use around graduation time to paint up their cars?

Denward

Supporting Actor
The writing would only stay on for one or two days at a time. Also, I'm not writing War and Peace so it wouldn't be a big deal to re-write it every time.
Surely there's someone out there who's actually written on a car window. (No, I won't stop calling you Shirley.:))

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You can buy special fluorescent markers for writing on glass. Check the stationery/office supply departments of most any discount store (or the Automotive dept. if that fails).

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
I organize some car races for a local car club, when we write car numbers on folks' windows, we use white shoe polish. If you leave it on the window for a longer than a week, it'll take a lot of windex to come off. A day or two? No problem. I've had white shoe polish on my windows plenty of times, and it hasn't stuck to my paint or anything like that.

Andrej

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Humm I use white liquid shoe polish to write on my windows when I go drag racing. Even after several days it comes off easily with Windex.

There is another product that just wipes off and that racers with plexiglass windows use but I don't remember the brand name. I will see if I can dig that up. I have never used it though.

Laters,
Jeff

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Go to Walmart automotive and look for auto glass soap pencils. They should be in a package of about 4 or 5 bars looking like really thick crayons.

Denward

Supporting Actor
Thanks, everyone. I've got one hot prospect through my online ad, and if that doesn't pan out, I'll be off to get me some of those big crayons at the Mart of Wal.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Whatever you do, don't use shaving cream! My sister did that to my car for my wedding. Even though it came off easily, it leaves behind a film that is visible when wet. Whenever it rained, the water would bead up just right so you could read "just married" on the back window.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Sakura Solid Marker (Solidified Paint), available at Staples, most car dealerships use these. Removes with soap, water.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks