What to Use When Writing on Car Windows

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Denward, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I'm trying to sell my car and would like to park it someplace conspicuous to advertise it. What do people use to paint stuff on windshields so that it's easily removable later.
    BTW, if you're interested, here's my ad on cars.com.

2. Gary Hensley

Gary Hensley Stunt Coordinator

Do not use Shoe Polish like many people do. Once it dries on it is not very easy to get off and the little flakes that you scrape off stick to the paint something fierce.

3. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

The cashier at the car wash that I use marks something on the windshield that tells the wash operator what kind of wash I've paid for. I could swear that he uses a bar of soap ! Got a car wash in the area ? Ask 'em

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I think it's just soap. Car dealers have colored stuff they use, but it's probably just colored soap.

KJP

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    But wouldn't soap wash off after it rains, unless you put it on the inside of the windshield, but it'll make it harder to clean....

I was thinking of a wax based thing, perhaps a large crayon??? Never tried it though.

Jay

6. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen
    I would think soap as well. Or how about that temporary stuff that kids use around graduation time to paint up their cars?

7. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

The writing would only stay on for one or two days at a time. Also, I'm not writing War and Peace so it wouldn't be a big deal to re-write it every time.
    Surely there's someone out there who's actually written on a car window. (No, I won't stop calling you Shirley.[​IMG])

8. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    You can buy special fluorescent markers for writing on glass. Check the stationery/office supply departments of most any discount store (or the Automotive dept. if that fails).

9. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

I organize some car races for a local car club, when we write car numbers on folks' windows, we use white shoe polish. If you leave it on the window for a longer than a week, it'll take a lot of windex to come off. A day or two? No problem. I've had white shoe polish on my windows plenty of times, and it hasn't stuck to my paint or anything like that.

Andrej

10. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

Humm I use white liquid shoe polish to write on my windows when I go drag racing. Even after several days it comes off easily with Windex.

There is another product that just wipes off and that racers with plexiglass windows use but I don't remember the brand name. I will see if I can dig that up. I have never used it though.

Laters,
    Jeff

11. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

Ah I found the stuff that wipes off easily. Again I have never used it. It is made by Geddex.
    You can buy it online here Geddex Dial In Product
    Laters,
    Jeff

12. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Go to Walmart automotive and look for auto glass soap pencils. They should be in a package of about 4 or 5 bars looking like really thick crayons.

13. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Thanks, everyone. I've got one hot prospect through my online ad, and if that doesn't pan out, I'll be off to get me some of those big crayons at the Mart of Wal.

14. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Whatever you do, don't use shaving cream! My sister did that to my car for my wedding. Even though it came off easily, it leaves behind a film that is visible when wet. Whenever it rained, the water would bead up just right so you could read "just married" on the back window.

15. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Sakura Solid Marker (Solidified Paint), available at Staples, most car dealerships use these. Removes with soap, water.