What's new

What to do with old textbooks? (1 Viewer)

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
I've been out of school for a few years now, and I have all these science-related textbooks I want to get rid of (like Molecular Cell Biology, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biostatistics)

I must have spent over $300+ on them, but I don't think I can sell it back to the school textbook store (since they always get "new", "revised" editions)..or can I?

Any suggestions?

Karen Maraj

Agent
Gee.. I had those same books! I held on the them for 6 years, I never plan on working in the field. You're right, no one wants to buy them. I spend over $1500 on mine! and.. drumroll... down the garbage chute! I was tired of moving the pile around the apartment, no used bookstores would buy them, so.. I used a couple to prop up my speakers, and the rest.. well..garbage chute.. I haven't looked back.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
sadly unless they can be used for professional reference I toss them too. I have a pretty healthy reference of aviation books, but not much else.

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
Donate them to charity. and take a write off. With all the talk of developing countries not having funds for Education someone must be collecting text books??
kd

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Please donate them to a charitable cause like a library or school book sale. It's a shame to throw away books, even if they are a bit of a dry read. ;)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I've only been out of school a year but I have the same collection of books. A few I do plan on hanging onto, those from classes I really did enjoy (medical genetics and biological chemistry in particular). The rest I still have and plan on getting rid of them one day. Its a bit annoying knowing I could have spent all that money to buy DVDs instead, considering I don't work in the biology field at all.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Actually, my fiancee and I just got rid of a bunch of the books that we had either multiple copies of, or things that neither of us would ever use again. Managed to sell some of em off, but what the used bookstore wouldn't buy, I gave to the first year Engieering office (their TAs never have enough books). Definitely a good idea to give em to someone though-just a matter of finding out who will take them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks