What's new

What Subwoofer Does Everybody Have? (1 Viewer)

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
Polk Adio PSW 202 Sub. This sub rocks! $200 Cdn. (open box)For our 20' x 12' movie room, it's perfect.

-Mike

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Eight SVS 16-46 passive subwoofers. :b

Coming up: two B4+ subs...as soon as my bank says OK... :D

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Andrus_R

Stunt Coordinator
EBS Tempest DIY with cherry veneer. Looks like a coffin to my dismay...

But it has enough spl to crack the foundations of my house. Lately, I've grown tired of the somewhat muddy bass from this tempest DIY. I guess i need to add more polyfill.

I also have a second DIY 12 incher in mahogany. This thing will also crack the foundation but It's been just doing duty as end table. It was originally built for my small computer room. Last time I tested this "small 12 inch sub" It killed 2 harddrives and made my monitor flicker.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
1 PB12-Ultra/2 and 1 PB10-ISD.

Currently I'm in the process of figuring out what kind of system/sub to purchase for the Den. It will be hooked-up to our computer.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Started out with a JBL 10" mudbox in '99, moved to an original SVS 20-39PC in early '01, to an SVS PB2+ since late '03.

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
currently: 1 SVS PB12-Ultra/2 and 1 HSU VTF3- MK2.

i had a PB2+ and upgraded to the PB12-Ultra/2.
inmo the PB2+ hits harder, but the PB12-Ultra/2 is smoother, more subtle and more refined.
inmo, the PB2+ is the sweetspot, in the bang for the buck area, of the SVS lineup.
this probably explains why they are so popular...
best,
eric

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Since no one else has, I'll try to answer this one. With the way Onkyo and Sony htib's are flying out of big box stores, I'd guess it's a sub from one of those two companys. Just a guess though. As for me (or is it "I"?) There are five in my house. Two Dayton 10's in the living room, one Onkyo, from previously mentioned htib, in the family room and two that are not and will never again be in use. A Polk 202 (sorry Mike S.) and a KLH 8".

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I also represent someone who went the DIY route and is never coming back. I have an AE Speakers AV12 woofer (Similar to the SVS dB12 woofer but more robust in several areas), in the "Thunder 12.3" enclosure. It took me an extremely long time to build, and I threw tools across the garage during the course of its construction, but it looks pretty good. Every audio magazine guy who says DIY is a waste of time loses their credibility with me every time this beast demonstrates just how well it can dance. It drew a crowd the first night I fired it up in my dorm room. If you build your subwoofer from a well-engineered, proven design, you can get extremely high bang for the buck from DIY. (I have what is about the functional equivalent of a SVS PB12+ (500w highly-efficient advanced technology amplifier, bass reflex loading) for only about $600.) If you can engineer your own designs, then there's no limit to how far you'll go in DIY.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Gene-sell the unused Onkyo subw on eBay. Someone might be on the lookout for a reasonable, capable powered sub like the Onkyos.

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
HTF is sponsored by SVS. No wonder it's filled with pro SVS threads. :D

Nope. SVS sponsor HTF because they know they'll reach a discerning, targetted audience. One with excellent taste and the ability to recognise value for money. As opposed to endless hype, blanket advertising and massive dealer markups to help them "persuade" potential customers to buy alternatives.

Which is why one owns the (adult sized) 16-46PCi. :wink:

ChrisBee

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks