What's new

What projector should I buy ? (1 Viewer)

Arno P

Grip
Seems an odd question and many people have asked this before, but I would like to hear your advice and experience anyhow. My room will be about 5m long and I expect a screensize of approx 2.5-3 m diagonal. Budget (well in my mind) 2000 USD (I know I always end up higher). And I am thinking:

Technology: LCD or DLP (how bad can DLP be?)
Resolution: SVGA, XVGA...higher...does it make sense ?
Or should I go for a real 9:16 (is the advantage that big?
Color: which one has bad and which one has good colors?
Brightness: since it's a dark room is 700-1000 enough and does this give better blacks than higher brightness units?
Lamplife: I have seen 6000, what should I go for, what is still reasonable.
Noise: some go as low as 27dB, some reach 47dB, what are your experiences?
Lens: are there many differences, and what should I look for.

For the same budget I could get more projector if I buy an older type, but will it lack quality wrt the current standards. What "older" projectors can be recommended ?

Up till now I got a short candidate wishlist tell me your thoughts on them or add some to it please:

InFocus X1 (very new)
NECVT45k
Philips Garbo
Panasonic PTAE100
Philips Monroe

Any pro's and con's per type ???

Thanks in advance.

Arno

Donnie Clark

Agent
I have the Panny 300 and it is a nice machine. $2100-$2500 will get you the projector and a decent screen and there are lots of DYI screen options which will keep you in budget. Loads of info at AVS and lots of other projectors to consider.

Good luck.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Consider the Sanyo LPV-Z1 or Matinee 1HD (same projector). It is similar to the AE300, but not quite as good. The AE100 isn't made anymore, but you might find one used. The AE200 is available, but hard to justify because the higher resolution, slightly brighter, and slightly higher contrast Sanyo LPV-Z1 is within $100.00 USD of the AE200. Check AVS.

Good luck.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Arno,

I'd concentrate on selecting between the InFocus X1, Sanyo Z1, Sony HS10, or Panny 300. There are pluses and minuses to all of them. Lots of info available here at HTF, at www.projectorcentral.com, and at the other websites mentioned.

Don't forget to consider the screen as well (that may be a tougher decision than the projector!).

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
For the screen, I would opt for a silver based screen or make one if you cannot afford something deluxe like the Firehawk, which will run you into a couple of thousand, or so.

Arno P

Grip
The InFocus X1 almost seems perfect, almost no pixelation, but since it's DLP, the response is rainbow effect. Has anyone experience with the X1 (in general), the rainbow effect and in best case the rainbow effect on the X1 ????

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
I recommend the Panisonic 300. It looks great especially with a slight defocus which you only would need if you are less than 1.5x the screen width from your seat. I do think that the x1 does compare but you have to be sure that you and anyone else who will be watching regularly doesn't experience the rainbow effect of dlp projectors. Personally, I went with the 300 because its just as good if not better than the x1 (though more expensive, but it has better shadow details, black levels, than even the Sony HS10 in my opinion) and that numerous people watch movies at my house and odds are a few of them will either experience the rainbow effect, and or headaches. Also keep in mind, that if you plan on ordering on line most places charge a restocking fee so if you experience the rainbows you have to pay about 15% of 1500 + return shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks