What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What other MGM film releases would you like seeing get the Gold Edition treatment ? (1 Viewer)

What other MGM film releases (be it ones already released, but as bare bones, no frills releases, or ones not yet issued on DVD) would you like seeing get the special edition Gold Edition treatment and why (like those that have so far) ?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
Gold Edition?!? Never heard of it but sure some MGM movies does deserve a Special Edition Treatment. Annie Hall, Wuthering Heights (1939) and Manhattan all really deserve a SE treatment.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
a MIDNIGHT COWBOY SE is coming out in the UK at the end of June
Who knows how long it will be before it gets here...

as for THE GRADUATE-I wonder if SONY didnt pull the plug on the announced SE, giving us the same old crap disc, waiting for the 40th Anniversary in 2007?

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I've only heard of this in some R2 countries (e.g. Gemany). It's just a marketing gimmick as the "Gold Editions" are identical in content to the MGM SEs in other R2 countries.

There is a select few R2 SEs (or Gold Editions if you like that better) not available in R1, but most are, e.g. the Get Shorty and Spaceballs SEs are a "Gold Editions" in Germany.

Chris

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

I'm not sure, but it wasn't even the same old crap disc... it was an even more crap disc and I bought it unknowingly. It dropped the short featurette for apprently no reason whatsoever making this an absolutely barebones edition with a horrible non-anamorphic transfer. I'm contemplating on whether I should even bother to track down the old "collectors edition" or whatever it's called for the extra fluff featurette but I admittedly dont even really care since the disc is so all-around bad. I think I might just hold out and hope for a true Special Edition, though I sincerely hope we do not have to wait 2 entire years just so the company can put the number "forty" on their cover heading.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Wuthering Heights (1939). What is the deal with this? Has there been any info on this title at all? I know the HBO disc is long out-of-print, and this film deserves a re-release. The original HBO disc was not a bad disc at all in my opinion, but the fact that this movie is not available is really a shame.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Marco, check out the UK-R2/PAL disc of "THE GRADUATE" if you can play all region/all format. It's a gazillion times better than the R1 release, with an anamorphic transfer and far superior color timing. PAL speedup, yes, but I found it oddly less distracting than some other PAL discs (even given the slightly higher pitch of the S&G tunes).

Eric Larsen

Agent
A Fish Called Wanda and Four Weddings and a Funeral both are R2 special editions. The Missionary with Michael Palin had commentary and was widescreen in R2.
Leaving Las Vegas would be great.
Dead Man Walking is not anamorphic.
Remo Williams
Is there a Misery Special Edition somewhere else?

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any way we can e-mail MGM and beg them to consider releasing Wuthering heights (1939) in a new Edition? I don't care what super-duper special edition just give us another chance of owning this classic film!!!

jim om

Auditioning
MGM/Sony can't even put out decent-looking widescreen anamorphic dvds...why should they even attempt anything "gold?" After all, they must learn how to walk before they run...maybe Universal could help them...they're going back and remastering their catalog, finally.
jim

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'll second the Leone SE's.

Also A Fish Called Wanda.

MGM/Sony has plenty of unreleased titles that I'd like to own though I doubt they'd get the full blown SE treatment. Titles such as Anthony Mann's Man of the West, Matthew Hopkins: Witchfinder General (which would fit in more to the Midnite Movie line) & a handful of Noir's such as Woman in the Window.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks