What's new

What older model Blu Ray player will do 1080i through component? (1 Viewer)

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
I need to shop for an older model Blu Ray player that can play Blu Ray discs at 1080i through a component connection. I have a Mits 55819 TV whose only high def connection is component. I can watch HD TV from Direct TV just fine.
However, the new Blu Ray player I purchased will not display 1080i images from a Blu Ray disk through component. Evidently none of the newer players can.
So--does anyone know of an older model that will do this? Once I have one or two models identified, I can search Craigslist and/or Ebay to try to get my hands on one.
Thanks in advance!
Bruce
PS--it's no use suggesting upgrading my TV. That's not in the cards for a few years.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I don't know if there are any. I would just buy a Blu-ray player and set it to 720p. Your TV will convert the signal to 1080i anyway.
And you'll be getting a better, more modern player.

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
Been there. Done that. Doesn't work.
There is some sort of restriction on current Blu Ray players such that they will not play a Blu Ray disk through component outputs at more than 480i. Download the manual for any current player and see for yourself. The manual of the Blu Ray player I purchased (Samsung BD6500) said it would play "non-protected media" through component outputs at 1080i, but "protected media" would only be output at 480i. Same with an LG, a Panasonic, a Sony and a Pioneer that I looked at.
My understanding is that there are some older players that don't have this restriction. And will play Blu Ray disks at 1080i through component outputs. Once I find out about a model that can supposedly do this, I will download the manual, verify the info and then try to purchase a used one.
I'd love to have a better, more modern player, but at this time I'd rather have the HD picture than the other modern features.
Thanks!
Bruce

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
try the older panasonic like 80 or 85. I beleive that they will do 1080I.
I beleive its this year models that is stopped doing that.
Jacob

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
Jacob,
Thanks for the tip! I found the manual for the Panny DMP-BD85K. Here's a paragraph from page 28:
Component Video Resolution
This sets the video output resolution when connected via the
COMPONENT VIDEO OUT terminal.
≥ Even if you select “720p” or “1080i”, the video output
resolution is restricted to “480p” when images of DVD-Video
discs are output from the COMPONENT VIDEO OUT
terminals.
I've seen the above text in the manual of several of the newer Blu Ray players as well. I know it means that upconversion is not possible through componenet connections, but does it also mean it will restrict Blu Ray output through component to 480p? I can find nothing in the manual that indicates this Blu Ray player will actually display a Blu Ray disk at 1080i through the component connection. I'm going to try emailing Panasonic tech support to ask.
Thanks!
Bruce

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Here is a link to page 33 of the Samsung BD-C6500 manual:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201107/20110704101610335/01859A-BD-C6500-XAA-ENG-BM-1006.pdf
Look at the Blu-ray Disc playback table under the column "HDMI / not connected". You'll see that it says that in Component Mode it will output 1080i, 720p, 480p & 480i.

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
Steve--Thanks for the link! I read it and thought "how could I have missed that?" I had looked at the manual several times. Then I realized you provided a link to the Samsung BD-C6500, whereas I had purchased the BD-D6500.
Here's a link to that manual:
See page 31.
Jim--as to your point--see above. The BD-D6500 absolutely will not display anything beyond 480i from the Blu Ray disk through component. It can display digital and e-contents at 1080i through component, but not a Blu Ray disk.
The manual from the BD-C6500 gives me hope, though. I'm going to try to find that Blu Ray player and see if it does what the manual implies.
Thanks again!
Bruce

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I looked at the manual for the BD-D6500 and if you (and I) are reading it right, and it seems we are, then it might not output anything but 480i through component connections.
When I first read your original post I thought, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. And I still think it's pretty stupid. Not you, but the fact that it won't output 1080i or at least 720p.
It seems that the C6500 will do what you want (as they all should, if you ask me) so I'd keep looking if I were you.

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
Steve,
Thanks again for the reply. I'm looking into the C6500. According to the manual, and as you pointed out, it *should* do 1080i through component. Evidently, next year's models of Blu Ray players won't even have component connections. And I'm not sure of the origins of the restrictions on the resolution out of component connections, either, but it really stinks!
Bruce

Idyllic

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Atteberry
Thanks for this topic. Bruce, You are absolutely right. I too have a big screen Mitsubishi similar to yours and I am having the exact same problem. And, not all the manuals will state the output for a Blu Ray through component. As a result I just purchased my third machine today hoping it would play Blu Rays in 1080i. This one is the Sony BDP-Bx58... and it won't play in 1080i either. I spoke with Samsung tech support earlier and they said none of their current machine will play a Blu Ray through component cables at 1080i, only 480p. Toshiba's new machines seem to be the same. Let me know if you find a player that does. I'm tired of buying and returning.
Mark

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Idyllic /t/315977/what-older-model-blu-ray-player-will-do-1080i-through-component#post_3869877
Thanks for this topic. Bruce, You are absolutely right. I too have a big screen Mitsubishi similar to yours and I am having the exact same problem. And, not all the manuals will state the output for a Blu Ray through component. As a result I just purchased my third machine today hoping it would play Blu Rays in 1080i. This one is the Sony BDP-Bx58... and it won't play in 1080i either. I spoke with Samsung tech support earlier and they said none of their current machine will play a Blu Ray through component cables at 1080i, only 480p. Toshiba's new machines seem to be the same. Let me know if you find a player that does. I'm tired of buying and returning.
Mark
You need to buy a used or refurbished player. According to the "analog sunset" any model made after 1/1/2011 will not pass a HD signal over component.

Idyllic

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Atteberry
Thanks Adam. I should have come here first. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
I have found a solution that worked for me!
I purchased a refurb Samsung BD-C6500. I puts out 1080i through component just fine. I've tested the only 3 Blu Ray disks I own (purchased when I got the BD-D6500) and all 3 worked just fine. I got this player through Walmart online. Had it delivered to my house for just $2.97. It arrived sooner that if I had it shipped to a store for free. Cost was $109. I also purchased a $10 one-year warantee, since it was a refurb. My only complaint is that it came with the wrong remote. I'll let you know how dealing with customer service turns out.
I really wish the BD-D6500 had worked out. It was a bit nicer machine. Plus, there was a remote app for my Android phone that was really nice. There is not Android remote for the C6500. Nevertheless, it gives me 1080i through component and that makes me happy!
Thanks to Steve for putting me on to this model!
Bruce
PS The C6500 is NOT 3D. But if you have an older TV, that point is probably moot. I have no interest in 3D. Keeping track of 2 D's is hard enough. :)

Idyllic

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Atteberry
Thanks for the info, Bruce (and Steve) . I may be following in your footsteps.
Mark

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
Update on my Samsung BD-C6500 purchase.
I purchased a refurbished unit from Walmart online. As I have been looking through the manual for this machine to learn all the functions of the remote, I have discovered they sent a replacement remote rather than the original. It is a Samsung remote, but doesn't have the same button functions as the orignal should have. I contacted customer service, both in-store and online. Both told me I'd have to return the whole thing and order it again. I didn't want to do that, as I didn't feel confident that a re-order would get me the correct remote. Therefore, I am probably just going to purchase a replacement remote. Amazon has them for about $20.
I have to say that the online Walmart customer service was very quick to answer my questions and very courteous. I was pleasantly pleased with the personal tone of their emails.
Bruce

Jesse V

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse velasquez
With everyone's input posted here, I too solved the same problem(older big screen 1080i). I found a refurbised Samsung player through Wal-Mart online.
Samsung BD-C6800 for $99.99 plus three warranty, total cost about $124.00 free shipping store pickup. Brought it home the other day, hooked it up to my
Mitsubishi WS-55511. Now I'm enjoying bluray movies in 1080i HD

LoverOfJoy

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
This thread was extremely informative for me as I have the same problem. I recognize that this is an old thread and I was curious if any of the working players (BD-C6500 or BD-C6800) ever ran into problems later down the line due to software updates? I wondered if they ever started retroactively denying full HD through component.

joz8968

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Many thanks to the posters on this thread.
I needed to upgrade my current SD/ED DVD player to a 3D Blu-ray and this thread has been invaluable to me....
With the info on here, yesterday I purchased a refurb'd Sammy BD-C6900 (the very first 3D Blu-ray player, incidentally!). And it has the important 720p/1080i options over component (so long as the HDMI port isn't being used at the same time).
I pick it up tomorrow. :)
Good point above re. s/w updates wiping out HD over component..... But surely they'll be an option in the network settings to "DISABLE auto. s/w updates"???? (I've yet to read that section of the manual).
Anyone know?

joz8968

Auditioning
Real Name
John
...That's assuming, of course, a previous owner hasn't done an update and it has already been wiped out!
Hell, I hope that's not the case for my player.................! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks