What new reciever should I get?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tuan Vo, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Tuan Vo

Tuan Vo Stunt Coordinator

There are three different recievers I am debating between to get. I'm not very sure how fair this comparison is but here goes. I have a chance to get a Sony STR-DA2ES for a good price so I'm considering that. Then two other models I am considering are the Sony STR-DA1000ES and the Harman Kardon AVR-230. Any clear winners that anyone can suggest between those recievers? Cosmetics doesn't matter to me but I do want to replace my aging Dolby Digital only Pioneer VSX-05. Thanks for any input anyone can offer.

2. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

In the short time I have been here I would guess a lot of people would probably favor the SQ of HK. However, I have heard about the ES line of Sony being pretty good too though. I'm assuming you already know to check the reviews on audioreview.com) but I will throw it out there just in case.

Whatever you do, I'd check out ecost.com) b/c they got some great deals right now. They have a few HK's and I think some Sony's too. And no, I am not affiliated with them.

Good luck!

3. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I've met a Sony receiver that I liked and I've never heard an HK that I didn't like. I have a Sony ES preamp and it's has excellent sound but it's a piece of garbage. I've never liked the sound of the Sony recvs so I'm guessing it's their amps and not the pre-amp sections that are crappy. My Sony needs repairs about every 18 months and has a horrible remote (beyond horrible really). This preamp replaced an old 2-ch HK 795i recv that finally died after about 15 years of loyal service. My father has a HK 695i running 8 pairs of speakers thru impedance matching volume controls and it's 20 years old and still going strong.

I'm getting an HK AVR7300 soon, it's will replace the Sony pre-amp and the power amp I'm using. The main reason is the Sony is acting up again and I'm just plain tired of the remote.

4. Steven_Jobe

Steven_Jobe Stunt Coordinator

Well I'm very very happy with my Sony STRDA2000ES and have had no problems. I am a huge Yamaha fan though and I'd say go for those. But I've never owned a HK although I wanted to but heard they have too many problems with bugs and what not so I opted not to.

5. Tuan Vo

Tuan Vo Stunt Coordinator

After looking around I am also intrigued by the Denon AVR-1804 and the AVR-2805. Any input on these models versus what I'm looking at before. The price range is way different though hehe.

6. John S

John S Producer

I'm a big Denon head. I love the sound of their amp sections.

The 2805 has sure got a ton of features on it.

I still use and intend to use a Denon 4802 for many moons to come by the way.