What's new

What movie should I loop to break in my 65H80? (1 Viewer)

Ryan_D

Agent
My 65H80 is supposed to show up tomorrow. I'm going to be out of town all next week, so I might as well leave it on so it will be broken in when I get back. I was thinking a "dark" movie like The Matrix would be better than something "bright" like Toy Story. I would just leave it on a tv station, but with my luck I'd end up with "searching for satellite signal" burned into the screen. What would you guys suggest?

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
You might as well use a 1.85 aspect ratio movie so you use the entire screen area. How about 'Saving Private Ryan'?
Ryan
------------------

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I'd try something with lots of colour like Toy Story 2. The aspect ratio on this movie should fill up your 16x9 screen.
Saving Private Ryan is a good film for sound but with the way its shot its almost monochromatic so it wouldn't really be working your CRT's as much.
Just my thoughts.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Ryan,
What you are thinking of doing is NOT necessary at all and could harm the set. If your "loop" doesn't work and the set gets stuck in a static image (like a DVD menu) you could end up with burned phosphor on your CRTs and major problems. Wait until you get back and use the set properly. It will be "broken in" in no time. Enjoy your new set.

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Remember that an important part of breaking in a set is the warm up and warm down process: Leaving the set on for long periods is only part of the game. Turn it off and on at regular intervals, as well.

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
As someone who just got his 65H80 a few weeks ago, I must agree with most others and recommend against this idea. This is just a little scary to me (what if somehow a static image gets stuck on?). I'm sure you will get a lot of use out of this set, so the break in period will end soon enough. Besides, it will still look good even out of the box. I know you want to be able to calibrate it as soon as possible, but the risks just seem too great.
Besides, Nathan is right. Part of breaking it in requires power cycles. Just leaving it on for days at a time will not have the same effect.
-Brett
------------------
My DVD's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks