What's new

What makes MICKEY MOUSE IN LIVING COLOR so valuable? (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I bought these discs when they first came out. While I find the cartoons very well-animated and mildly amusing, I just don't find them as entertaining as the Goofy shorts or even the Silly Symphonies. So why is this set selling for so much more than the other Treasures sets? I know that everyone has different tastes and that some folks may find the shorts more entertaining than I. I don't have a problem with that. But why is this set special with regards to the other Treasures sets? What sets it apart? Thoughts?

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I have the idea that much more Goofy's were produced for Canada. This is just a guess. That's probably why there are so many on ebay from Canada. There is a difference between the US tins and the Canadian tins.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Well that may very well be true about the Goofy discs. However, the MICKEY COLOR set is selling for around $100 now while I have yet to see any of the other sets selling for more than $40. All of the current sets are OOP with all of the animated sets nearly impossible to find outside of auction sites. Yet MICKEY is sky high compared to the rest. What's the allure? Let's get a discussion going on what it is that makes a set like MICKEY such a coveted item.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Maybe because Mickey is what it's all about. He's the top cheese, the symbol of everything Disney. With all due respect to Goofy and Donald, Disney itself is often called "The Mouse," not the dog or the duck. (Why is Goofy a biped talking dressed-up dog while Pluto isn't?)

Actually, I don't really know the answer. I just wish I had a few extra mint copies of that Mickey tin.

Bryan_Bortz

Stunt Coordinator
Its just cuz it is "Mickey", its the name.

I own the Goofy set, snatched it up when I saw these sets were available and saw that a few were sold out already.

Goofy is more amusing anyway :).

-Owl

Louis_P

Stunt Coordinator
The reason why it's going for $100 is because it's harder to find something that came out almost 2 years ago then the most resent 2nd wave set.And from the 1st wave,the Mickey tin was harder to find from the get go because that one was more popular and people weren't as interested in the others.I can still find the davy crockett and disney usa in certain stores.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I agree with the above. Out of all the first wave sets, mickey was the one that probably had the most main stream appeal, and therefore sold out faster. I know it was the first one I bought.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
(Why is Goofy a biped talking dressed-up dog while Pluto isn't?)
What I've most often heard is that he's not a dog; he's a goof. This is like the Gonzo debate for Muppet folk -- just what is he? Well ... he's a Gonzo. I think Muppets from Space came to the conclusion that he's simply unique, or something like that. Goofy isn't unique (he has a family in the television show, if I recall correctly), but I think he ultimately falls somewhere in the same ballpark.

I personally like to think of him as an Egyptian god, half dog, half man (half cat or half jackal would be more appropriate, but so be it). I seem to recall a Goofy short (or possibly an episode of the show) in which we see his face on the Sphynx. Hmmmm. But at any rate, this allows him the physical characteristics of a dog while nevertheless having the hyoid bone necessary for the vocal nuances of human speech, the self-awareness necessary for ambition and thoughts of the future, the mental capacity to speak intelligibly (though he nevertheless finds himself easily befuddled), the skeletal structure and coordination necessary to walk upright and use tools, and the status of Disney's "everyman" (note "man") in the original shorts.

If you ask why Daffy can speak more or less clearly and Donald cannot, however, or why either can speak at all, I'm afraid I'll have to acknowledge defeat. Daffy as Duck Dodgers (Elton John: "I'm a rocket duck"), saving the world from a crazed Martian, would make even Darwin's head swim. :)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
What I've most often heard is that he's not a dog; he's a goof.
No - he is called The Goof, but he is a dog.

I forget where the first appearance of Goofy was, but his initial name included the word Dog. He was a minor (albeit meorable) audience member in that short, and eventually became a leading man with a new name, but the Goof is and always was a dog.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I forget where the first appearance of Goofy was, but his initial name included the word Dog. He was a minor (albeit meorable) audience member in that short, and eventually became a leading man with a new name, but the Goof is and always was a dog.
His original name was Dippy Dog, but his agent gave him the name Goofy.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
His first appearance as Dippy Dog was in a cartoon (the name escapes me) on the Mickey Mouse in Black and White set. I actually watched it last night, but can't remember what the name was.

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I think the Mickey set is more expensive mainly because of the name, but also because of the age. I do agree, however, that it's not as fun to watch as say the Goofy set, but because it's Disney, you have to have it. :)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I think the Question for me is not why i did'nt buy 10 its why I did'nt buy 1 :

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
I don't understand why people can't accept that Goofy is a dog.
Jeff, Matthew -- if you thought my argument was a serious consideration of the Goof's genetic code and specific species, I'm afraid you missed my point, which was humor*. Just for the record, I don't consult paleontologists for thoughts on a frog who plays the banjo, either.

Those who enjoy thinking of both Pluto and the Goof as the same species of animal within the world of Disney imagination are more than welcome to continue doing so. Pluto can chase the mailman, Goofy can be the mailman, but they're both dogs through and through. Roof! Er, I mean, "got it."

On thread topic: I have no idea why (or if) the Mickey Color set is more valuable than the Mickey B&W set -- value is determined by how many are made, who's selling, and who's buying. I imagine there are a host of reasons why people might pay big dollars for Mickey in color, or for Mickey in either form. The novelty of a talking mouse is only one of them. :) I personally consider all of the Disney animation boxes Treasures, true to their name, and cherish them. A very big thumbs up to Leonard Maltin for pitching the idea for this series to Disney and following through in producing and hosting the releases.

* To in fact look at the matter seriously (I'll certainly forgive those of you who cannot), and to state the obvious, neither Pluto nor Goofy are dogs. They're cartoons. This is all they ever have been or ever will be. As drawings and/or paintings and voice characterizations depicting anything in the physical world, Pluto is much closer to a real dog, and Goofy much nearer a human being. Neither (and in fact few animated characters) hold up to any further serious scrutiny than this, and I don't think anyone will disagree with that (an animator examines the look and behavior of elephants to draw elephants in Dumbo; they have not, however, actually made another elephant, so at best what they've drawn represents an elephant by the image's appearance, its sound once such is recorded, and, as a joining of these two across multiple frames, behavior; if you believe Goofy best represents a dog by his look, sound, and behavior ... well, to be as fair as possible, that's certainly no more accurate than saying he represents a dog/man or simply a man, because neither humans nor dogs, I dare say, were used as a serious model for the character, and he's clearly not meant by his creators -- whose intentions are probably the final word -- to be a true-to-life representation of either).

I'd get into the idea that Bugs Bunny is referred to by other characters as a rabbit throughout Looney Tunes shorts, but Goofy is never (I haven't seen all of the shorts, movies, or television episodes) referred to by other characters as a dog (Shakespeare had a few thoughts on the value of a name), but I just can't bring myself to write a full essay on this with a straight face. :) He's a cartoon character vaguely resembling a dog who most closely mimicks, by far, the traights of a human being, who is generally treated in storylines and by other characters, under the name of Goofy, as a man and not as a beast or pet, and who, before he developed into the character of Goofy (which is whom we're discussing) went by the name of Dippy Dawg or Dog. My name's Bill Burns, but I'm not on fire (that's the cue for critics to pipe up with: "you can say that again").

Hmmm ... yep, that's all I can argue this with a straight face. :D

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well, if you watch THE WORM TURNS on the MMILC v1 set you see the following:

A human sized mouse, who doesn't really look like a mouse
A normal sized mouse, who does look like a mouse
A cat who looks and acts like a cat
A dog (who sort of) looks and acts like a dog
A cat who is a dogcatcher

The first mouse is Mickey of course, the dog is Pluto and the Dogcatcher is Pete.

So it doesn't really matter. Pluto and Goofy are both dogs, because animals in the Disney aniverse are not constrained by their animal behavior.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
the MICKEY COLOR set is selling for around $100 now while I have yet to see any of the other sets selling for more than $40.
Really? I suspected that would happen, which is why I bought two extra copies. I work at Disney, so I got them for about $16 a piece.

The reason I figured they'd appreciate is because Mickey was the first of the initial four tins to sell out. But I think I'll wait till they go up even more before selling them. I also bought 3 copies of 101 Dalmations, which seemed to be in short supply. Wonder what that's going for now?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks