What's new

What makes MICKEY MOUSE IN LIVING COLOR so valuable? (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I've always been under the presumption that in the Disneyverse a Dawg is not the same thing as a dog. A Dawg walks, talks and dresses like a person. A dog is, well, just a dog. But since Goofy hasn't been referred to as a Dawg for many decades that may just be a rationalization after the fact.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, Matthew -- if you thought my argument was a serious consideration of the Goof's genetic code and specific species, I'm afraid you missed my point, which was humor*.
I know - I misinterpreted what you were saying. I thought you were drawing on the difference between Goofy and Pluto to argue that the character Goofy is not supposed to be a dog, and I was trying to point out that he is.

Indeed, to be honest, it is a point that I have made to my friends in the past. I mean, not much makes sense in the cartoon world - a mouse walks on two feet and is as tall as a duck, both of which are only slightly shorter than a dog that walks on two feet, and the mouse and duck are both taller than another dog that walks on all fours. Does that make sense to anyone?

And when was the last time you saw a mouse that was big enough to carry a bucket and wear a hat usually worn by a human?

Ultimately, the truth is, they're damn good cartoons and I love watching them. ANd that's all that matters.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
In my last mailing from the disney dvd club they had an offer to buy all 4 of the origional tins for $30 each, but you had to buy all 4. since I did not have the Disneyland USA I took a chance and ordered. I got all 4 no dents, So I figure MMILC,SS,and Davey Crockett sets will make for good christmas gifts for my family.

You may want to try this route if you are looking to pick these up.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Has anybody ever noticed that Donald Duck is always running around bare-assed, but not when he goes swimming (check)? ;)

On-topic: I think lots of "traders" have bought (and will buy) multiple copies of most "Treasure Tins", so the supply of these is pretty high. Most copies of Mickey are probably in the hands of "true" fans, that bought it before the eBayers discoverd the money-making opportunities of these tins....

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
All right, about the "Dalmations" thing:

I'm certainly not going after every case of mis-spelling that I see on HTF. Since English is a foreign language to me, I would probably make myself an easy target sometimes.

:D

However, I would guess that this particular word "Dalmatians" is mis-spelt (BE) at least 50% of the times. That's what makes me react.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
There is a difference between the US tins and the Canadian tins.
Mickey says "I wonder who he was", to which Donald says "He wasn't a duck!", and then everyone else starts chiming in in defence of their own species.

Pinocchio "Or a little wooden boy" (LOL)
Woody "Ot a woodpecker"
Sylvester "Or a cat"
(etc...)

Anyway, this thread came to mind because Goofy says...
"Or a dog."
Which means, right from the mouth of the Goof himself, that Goofy is a dog.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Nope, it means the screenwriter(s) of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? thought "dog" would be funnier or more consistent with the existing joke structure than "goof" or "unspecified animated creature," and the current Disney management didn't mind. :) Goofy's ears flop, and his nose looks like a dog. Does he have a tail? I'm not sure. In every other conceivable way, he's a man (in his television show, The Goof Troop, he lives in a house, his son, not his "pup," goes to school ...). Here's the best part of all: there are no human beings in Goofy's world*. However, there are dogs (Bluto might show up when and if Goofy "works" with Mickey, etc.). In his short films, he's referred to as an "everyman." He plays human sports. He watches television. He drives a car. He speaks, and not with barks. Unlike other anthropomorphic Disney animals like Mickey or Donald (Mouse and Duck), Goofy's name is not Goofy Dog. Those who cite "Dippy Dog" are citing an earlier draft of Goofy. Was Dippy Dog (a character who no longer exists) a dog? Sure, it's right there in his name. Is Goofy? Someone mentioned earlier that Dippy Dog took the Goofy name in an audition as a stage name -- unfortunately, in the television show and most (or all?) of his starring shorts, Goofy is not, and has never been, an actor. Why would he use a stage name with his own family?

Goofy is a new character. He began as Dippy Dog (or Dawg), and progressed into what is, today, Goofy -- Disney's "everyman," vaguely dog-like but simply and bluntly not a dog.

There's no answer here, fellas. You can call him a monkey if you want to (he seems to get stuck in trees every now and then, after all). I can call him a man or, most accurately, a goof (and he refers to himself as a "goof," not the goof, from time to time, and of course the title The Goof Troop refers to he and his family, who would be a dog troop if he were a dog).

So ... "dog" isn't in his name, he behaves in every way like a human being, his television show is set in a world without humans* but in which creatures just like him behave in every way like humans, and the announcer on some of his shorts refers to him as an "everyman."

Maybe he's a dog in the same way the apes in Planet of the Apes are apes. Maybe. But that's as close as we can make it (goofy heads do adorn famous monuments from time to time, evoking Burton's version of the Apes film).

Sure, sure ... he's a dog. :) There's no true answer, unless Walt Disney himself, or the original animators, say "he's a dog." He's whatever we want him to be, and I'm not alone in thinking of him apart from the other Disney staple of manimals:

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...t/showid-8245/

Can you imagine calling Mickey "a man of the '90's"? I rest my case.

* I don't recall any humans in Goofy's world, but if I'm wrong, by all means please say so.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
Isn't Goofy's full name George "Goofy" Geece or something like that? I remember them saying it in one of the cartoons on the 2nd disc in the Gooy tin set.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Woo hoo.. I bought Mickey Color last year but never opened it. Cool cool, and it's numbered 4xx. I also have SS unopened and Mickey B&W unopened.

So the question for me is:

"Why the hell did I opened The Complete Goofy" :angry:?

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Woo hoo.. I bought Mickey Color last year but never opened it. Cool cool, and it's numbered 4xx. I also have SS unopened and Mickey B&W unopened.

So the question for me is:

"Why the hell did I opened The Complete Goofy" ?
Probably because it's a lot more fun to actually watch the DVDs than it is to look at a sealed up tin.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I sold mine the other day for $75 opened and without the blue band. To be honest, it's not selling for a great deal more than that new.

The other sets aren't selling for nearly as much as the first Mickey one though. I'd go ahead and open them up. They're tons of fun. I enjoyed the SS one a lot more than either Mickey set.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The sets are for your enjoyment, not an investment. Open them up and enjoy them. Trying to speculate on DVDs is a waste of time, blood pressure, and can ruin your appreciation. Whatever monetary gains may be gained just are not worth it.

Neil

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
The sets are for your enjoyment, not an investment. Open them up and enjoy them. Trying to speculate on DVDs is a waste of time, blood pressure, and can ruin your appreciation. Whatever monetary gains may be gained just are not worth it.
:emoji_thumbsup: ;)

I've never once regretted opening mine. Since I have no plans of ever selling it, it's worth exactly the same as everything else in my collection. I don't allow myself to dwell on the amount I could get for it.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Too bad they just dont air it on tv... I would just record it...

Dont really want to spend $100 for it... I will by buying the Mickey set 2 (for Mickeys Christmas Carol especially) and the Donald set...

To the person who wants to know if to sell it... Well, thats up to you... I would tell you if you are hard up for money to sell it... But, if you are fine with money and dont really need it, watch the set and enjoy it...

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Disney's website shows that you can purchase the DVD by calling a listed phone number. Other 'Treasures' discs are listed as 'no longer being sold'. Worth a shot if you want the disc...

Derek_McL

Second Unit
It looks like the first wave of Walt Disney Treasures may be coming out in the UK in November : Mickey Mouse In Living Colour and Silly Symphonies. Not sure whether these will be the same as the region 1s and no price finalised yet. If they are released from what I've read here they'll be an essential pre-Christmas purchase for me perhaps along with the forthcoming Donald Duck and War Years sets

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks