What kind of cell phone do YOU have?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by KyleK, Jan 10, 2005.

1. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Yes, I know there are quite a few members of this forum who have a certain distaste for cell phones due to their experiences with idiotic movie theater patrons. But I assure you, under the right circumstances, cell phones can be pretty cool! I know you tech-loving types can't resist these little gadgets.
    I got my first cell phone a few months ago. Its the LG VX6000 camera phone on Verizon. I really like it, my only beef is that it needs more storage space for data, you can only store 20 pictures at a time. I've figured out some pretty cool workarounds too, like how to make a voice memo into a ringtone. Imagine: "Hey bozo! Its so-and-so, answer your phone!"

Anyway here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

So, what kind of cell phone do you have and what do you like/dislike about it?

Also you can post the number of contacts you have and we can give whoever has the least number a hard time. [​IMG]

Contacts: 38

Kyle

2. Stacey

Stacey Stunt Coordinator

I don't have a cellphone myself Kyle but you might want to keep a close eye on the hinges on that VX6000 as they seem prone to cracking. (where I work I hear this complaint about the 6000 at least once a week). Otherwise I've heard it's a great phone. [​IMG]

3. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Currently I have a Samsung x426 and a Nokia 3120. I can't stand the Samsung. I do a lot of text msging, and the Sammy just isn't built for it. I also don't like flips

4. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I have a LG 5450. Its not a bad phone but is terrible at holding a signal.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

my wife and i just got the samsung a670. love it, love it, love it! nice 'n' small ... fits in my pocket nicely! [​IMG] takes pics and video ... kinda fun at times.

however, without doubt, the coolest thing is downloadable ringtones. [​IMG] downloading ringtones is my new hobby. i found an awesome site for 10 bucks a year w/unlimited downloads...now that's a good deal!

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Kyocera 2300.

[​IMG]

About as basic as it gets so obviously it was free with my plan. It's all I really need, though the bulkiness gets to me sometimes. Benefits are I can use it for days without having to recharge compared to the smaller color phones with 2 screens, and unlike my friends, I spend far less time tinkering with the settings & options (since mine are so limited). 26 contacts.

7. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Motorola e398 here. I use it as my only phone. I just can't see sending Verizon $30 per month, whether I make a call or not, just for the "priveledge" of having their phone service. I do believe I'm a rare breed though, my mobile phone is on vibrate 99% of the time and it does not go with me into places like movie theaters, churches, etc. I'm pretty sure that's why they put voice mail on mobile phones [​IMG]

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I have a very basic Nokia 3588i, free with my plan.

But it would be pretty cool to have one that could do real time video calls... or at least video messages.

/Mike

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    My company has Nextel, mine is the i60c. Can't say the service is great, but it's free.

10. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    [​IMG]

11. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I have the Motorola 120T that im probably going back to cause my Panasonic GU87 has been giving me shit lately.

I have AT&T/Cingular but will be switching to Verizon or someone lese in the Fall.

12. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I just got a LG VX 7000. It does photos and video, although I really haven't had time to play with it. I only have a few contacts on my phone. Not much of a cell phone user. Usually it's turned off.

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

sony ericson T610. It's Ok I guess.

14. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Blackberry 7290. Great for integrating e-mails for work. Not as many third-party programs available as the Treo, but superior for business-related activity. Has bluetooth capability but no GPS or camera phone. Also, does not have a speakerphone.

One annoying quirk is that it doesn't have a repeatable alarm, so if I miss a voicemail it doesn't keep ringing every few minutes like my old Nextel phone.

15. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Nextel 830. Love it. Plus I can go get it fixed or repaired if anything goes wrong instead of having to buy a new one and signing my life away on contracts and crap.

16. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Nokia GSM 3120..love it.

[​IMG]

17. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I've got an LG4600. Love it, especially downloadable ring-tones and wallpapers. (I've got a good digicam, so I didn't see the need for a low-res one on my phone.)

However, I *hate* my cell service company. They lock-down the phone so that you can only download ringtones/wallpapers from THEIR sites, thus allowing them to charge you for the new goodies. (Even tried emailing my phone a ringtone, didn't work.) There are a couple of rings I REALLY want, but can't get. Grrr.

18. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

btw...does anybody else (besides me) do this?

since my phone has a camera, and it allows me to set any picture as the desktop, i just go to the internet, find some cool desktops, then take a picture of it with my phone.

voila...instant mobile desktop!

my wife says that pretty much puts me into the uber-geek category. [​IMG]

19. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Hey-

Assuming your phone can recieve picture messages with sound, here's a great site to get ringtones if you can sort through all the junk: http://www.free-ringtones.eu.com. All you have to do (at least on Verizon) is send the file from an email app (no hotmail) to: [email protected]. I think you have to register for that email on Verizon's site though. Then when you receive the message you just save it in media and set it as a ringtone. Voila!

Current faves:
    Twilight Zone
    Mortal Kombat
    Imperial March
    The Reflex - Duran Duran

I have also emailed pictures to myself to use as backgrounds. My phone is currently Dune themed with this image:
    [​IMG]

Stacey, thanks for the tip, the open-close construction on the 6000 does seem a little flimsy but I take pretty good care of my stuff so I'm not too worried. What happens if they do crack, does the phone become unusable? And if you don't mind me asking, where exactly do you work?

Pamela, if you get a chance let me know how you like the 7000, I was thinking about upgrading to that model in the future since I like the 6000 but the new one seemingly corrects the 6000's deficiencies.

Kyle[​IMG]

20. Brett_E

Brett_E Agent

I have the Nokia 6620 and it does everything I want and far more than I need. Available 1GB MMC card, EDGE, Stereo mp3/movie playback, eMame emulator(for the nerds), email client, web bowser... Of course it will take pictures and record movie clips like the other phones as well.

You can buy a LOT of software for it as it uses the Symbian 7 OS. Word, excel, Powerpoint viewing and editing etc... It also syncs up to your PC and Outlook (Notes, Calendar, Contacts) with the included software and cable. Cool phone.