Screenwriter
lets say i have a job interview and being asked "what is your weakness?"

what kind of answer should i say?

thx

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Sir, my weakness is that I'm a workaholic. Others have been known to question why I'm so dedicated to my job and I tell them to leave me alone, I'm trying to pay my mortgage here.......

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Carl has hit it pretty much dead on. Whenever an interviewer asks you any question to specify your weaknesses, always turn it into a pseudo positive. Like "My main weakness is that I like to take on too many challenges at the same time sometimes." or..."Sometimes I have a hard time knowing when to differ some work onto a collegue as I am a take charge person by nature and have a tendency to overwhelm myself."

Never say stuff like "I'm such a big home theater fan that I sometimes watch movies late into the night, oversleep the next day and have to call in sick because of it."
:D

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I'm a perfectionist. It's a bad thing, and a good thing. Bad for my personal life (i.e. very picky when it comes to the women in my life), great for my work life (i.e. part of my job involves Quality Assurance, Testing, and Documentation, which I like to get done as perfectly as possible).

"It is my blessing, it is my curse". :D

Moe.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
"Kryptonite."

Seriously, I hate questions like this, because all it reveals is how well you can lie under pressure.

Check this link for my take on this and other stupid interview questions:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...04#post1274304

If you have an interview coming up, good luck. If you're asking just for the heck of it, then I hope you enjoy my tale of woe.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Vince's answer is a good one in many circumstances: it shows wit, different perspective, and quick thinking :) Of course, you may have to follow it up with a "real" answer.

During my interviews last Fall, I was not asked that question. But I was not interviewing for entry-level, fresh-out-of-college positions.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Vince, Blondes really are my weakness. I guess if your prospective boss was blonde, that would be a good answer.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I once answered that question without hesitation:
"Blondes"
That is hilarious! I never thought to answer that question in such a manner. Although I once answered it with, "I don't have any weaknesses. I'm absolutely perfect." The interviewer said, "No, really, what is your biggest weakness?" ... so I had to give the typical bullshit answer.

There's a comedian (I forget his name, he's been on the Bob & Tom show) who talks about this:

"Of course I told him my biggest weakness is that I just push myself too damn hard. I'm an eager beaver! Really, my biggest weakness? Oh, hey... punctuality. I just can't seem to get my ass out of bed in the morning. I hit the snooze button a dozen times... sometimes I dream I get up... I'm surprised I'm even here."

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
It's so weird this thread is here.

I was just asking someone about this on MSN, since I had a preliminary interview this morning.

(Oh, I think it went really well.)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Q: "What is your weakness?"

A: "Perhaps it's just me, but I really value semantics -- and find the term 'weakness' personally offensive. It's very difficult for me to see things in terms 'weakness.' I'd rather refer to them as 'challenges.' Subsequently, I relish the opportunity to encounter challenges. Without challenges, what is the use in continuing to do your best at a job?"

:D

~j

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Joeseph, I think that's the most brilliant answer I've ever seen to this question. You're smothering the interviewer in it, but he won't even see the need for a shovel!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Indeed- but I would imagine there is a fine line between being witty and being a creepy letch. I tried to go for witty, I would think this might be moving you closer to the latter...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks