What's new

What Is Your Favorite "Comfort Food" TV Show? (1 Viewer)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Star Trek (TOS and TNG); less often, Voyager and Enterprise (not DS9, since I'm planning to tackle the entire series one of these days). Thanks to Netflix, I can call up any episode in a matter of seconds.

And if I'm channel surfing, and Friends is on... yeah, I stop and watch it. I do love me some Chandler Bing (Chanandler Bong?). :D

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
LOL. My two top ones have already been mentioned: Ozzie & Harriet and TAGS. Those two shows really are ones I can watch again and again. They have the ability to really put me in a good mood no matter what. So as to add another that's yet to be mentioned, I'd say my third pick would be Leave it to Beaver. Not quite at the level of the first two, but very good at getting the job done (comfort and enjoyment).

Gary "great topic, Glen" O.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Gary OS said:
LOL. My two top ones have already been mentioned: Ozzie & Harriet and TAGS. Those two shows really are ones I can watch again and again. They have the ability to really put me in a good mood no matter what. So as to add another that's yet to be mentioned, I'd say my third pick would be Leave it to Beaver. Not quite at the level of the first two, but very good at getting the job done (comfort and enjoyment). Gary "great topic, Glen" O.
Couldn't agree more.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
There are so many, but I'll go with two: "Twin Peaks" and "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.". And I love "Thriller", too, but not even "Hannibal" in 2014 can match that level of network show creepiness, so I'd call it my "Discomfort Food" choice.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
34r63xj.jpg
Glen

I have 2 answers to this one.

Bionic Woman S1 For "rewatchability" factor. I lost count how many times I've seen this season's episodes.

It's hard to pick only one:

LITB For overall series choice. I'd pick TAGS except I'm only interested in S1-5.

If I was picking by category:

Western: Big Valley

Action: Combat!

Family: Lassie

SciFi: Time Tunnel I have to pick a Holy Grail. If not, I'd have picked what's a surprise to me since the other 2 shows are later-era shows:

Earth 2
Firefly I'm still surprised at how this one's a re-watch series. My nephew gets the credit for this one.

Police/Law: Sue Thomas, F.B.EYE This one is one of the best shows I've seen. I'd never heard of it until Gary convinced me to try it out
2elv0vc.jpg

Good luck Sun night Glen
nv5dvm.jpg

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Great topic.

It depends on my mood. For comedies, either Frasier or Hot in Cleveland (the TV Land series) will work for color series. B&W would be Andy Griffith or Dick Van Dyke. For drama, Perry Mason fits the bill.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Both the original "Star Trek" and "Star Trek: The Next Generation" remain shows I can pretty much watch anytime, anywhere, no matter if it's the best or the worst episode.

I can also do "The Twilight Zone" and "The Honeymooners" just about anytime.

In terms of more "junk food" than "comfort food", I'd put "Married With Children" near or at the top of that list. I'm pretty much over the whole sitcom format and the canned laugh tracks, but that show still does it for me.

It's kinda weirdly amazing to me that I can watch an episode of "Honeymooners" or "I Love Lucy" or "Married With Children" and the laugh track doesn't bother me, but if I'm channel surfing and I catch a moment of a new sitcom and I hear it, I reflexively reach for the remote. I don't know why it works for me on vintage material but not on new stuff.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
The Beverly Hillbillies hands down. I know already what's going to happen and I've watched every episode multiple times over but it's still the "go to" show for me. Hogan's Heroes is quickly becoming that as well since I've started delving into my DVD collection. I need to pick up S3 as I just finished S2.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Jeff Willis said:
LITB For overall series choice. I'd pick TAGS except I'm only interested in S1-5.

It's hard to pick only one:
TAGS only has 5 seasons as far as I'm concerned.

I'm wataching LITB right now with my two daughters. Prior to this I had only seen a handful or so of episodes in my youth. We are on the last half of season 4 right now. Typically with a show like this I would tend to prefer the early seasons more when the kids are youngest. However, with LITB I'm starting to think it gets even better as the seasons progress. I think i will add LITB as my honorary mention in this category.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ron1973 said:
The Beverly Hillbillies hands down. I know already what's going to happen and I've watched every episode multiple times over but it's still the "go to" show for me. Hogan's Heroes is quickly becoming that as well since I've started delving into my DVD collection. I need to pick up S3 as I just finished S2.
You and me both are ready to play bouncy ball with this show anytime.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
smithbrad said:
TAGS only has 5 seasons as far as I'm concerned.

I'm wataching LITB right now with my two daughters. Prior to this I had only seen a handful or so of episodes in my youth. We are on the last half of season 4 right now. Typically with a show like this I would tend to prefer the early seasons more when the kids are youngest. However, with LITB I'm starting to think it gets even better as the seasons progress. I think i will add LITB as my honorary mention in this category.
Welcome to the club, my friend. Jeff and I feel the same way about LITB. The later seasons are definitely the best for us. What I really enjoy with the 60's portion of the show is the Eddie/Lumpy combo. When you add those two into the mix I find the show jumps up a notch in terms of enjoyment for me. This is most on display in S5 and S6, so get ready for some great stuff as you move forward.

Gary "I'm normally an early seasons guy too, but not with this show" O.

P.S. I agree with you about TAGS as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.