What's new

what is the quality of HBO HD (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If you're genuinely interested, I suggest you do a search for "HBO HD". There have been many comments and reports over the last year or so. A lot depends on where you are and how you receive your programming (cable, DirecTV, etc.).

For example, I've stopped watching HBO HD, because the signal in Manhattan is too prone to major dropouts affecting both sound and picture. The image on The Sopranos is superior on HBO HD, but I'm not willing to trade it for missing chunks of the dialogue.

M.

I suspect it's as good, but I get HBO HD on DirecTV (satellite). One of 2 HD channels available on that system. The on screen display on my monitor indicates 1080i. The movies are definately better and little videotape I've seen (such as NFL highlights), is indicative of HD quality (like HDNet).
v/r,
John K
www.y2kfam.com

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
I get HBO HD via Cox of Fairfax and the quality is superb on true HD, clearly better than DVD. A film like "A Knight's Tale" looks almost three-dimensional in contrast to the already-excellent DVD.

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
Thanks for all the replies I will take all responses into account. I am just jonesing to use the capabilities of my tv after a year of owning it. :)

-B

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I have owned my hdtv for 2.5 years and have not watched one hd program. I feel your pain. I am at the point now where I am not going to get an hdtv set top box until I get a new tv. I just don't feel like taking apart my system to hook it up. Plus I don't know how much hdtv programs I can actually get. Directv can never answer my questions.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

I just upgraded my dishnet receiver to the model 6000 and put a second dish up for hi-def. All I have right now for programming is their demo channel and the hi-def CBS from New York. It is a great improvement on my CRT projector from standard satellite. I haven't noticed a glaring difference between the HD programming and an excellent DVD transfer like Star Wars AOTC, however. If any improvement, it is subtle at best. The demo channel displays gorgeous color fidelity and clarity. I am assuming the HD Discovery channel is similar in quality, although I haven't decided if it's worth paying extra per month to add the channel. I mean, how often can I watch insects and sharks?

I just added CBS today, so I'll let you know my opinions on their picture quality after I've seen some programming. I'm anxious for ESPN to become available on dishnet in HD so I can watch the NBA!! (Love those Celtics)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks