What's new

HD and special effects (1 Viewer)

davidgraham1

Auditioning
Real Name
davidgraham1
What effect do you think HD on DVD will have on special effects.

I'm watching Spiderman 2 on HBO HD which is a very good HD broadcast of the movie.

The stunning special effects in the movie theater, and even on DVD are of good quality.

But in HD...its so easy to tell and they lose all of their effectiveness. Its almost like they look like cardboard cutouts.

Even some very good DVD transfers still are 'bad' enough to hide all the little stuff but not a good HD transfer.

How much better will the technology get to fool people in HD?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
A: ...."HD on DVD"?

B: Visual effects tech has basically brickwalled at this point. If its not fooling anybody in theaters anymore then its not going to at home.

C: Seriously...."HD on DVD"? I had to make sure this was from today just to make sure I hadn't fallen into a time warp to 2005. O_O

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
What effect do you think HD on DVD will have on special effects.

I'm watching Spiderman 2 on HBO HD which is a very good HD broadcast of the movie.

The stunning special effects in the movie theater, and even on DVD are of good quality.

But in HD...its so easy to tell and they lose all of their effectiveness. Its almost like they look like cardboard cutouts.

Even some very good DVD transfers still are 'bad' enough to hide all the little stuff but not a good HD transfer.

How much better will the technology get to fool people in HD?

You’re first line aside, special efx, once taken to a higher resolution than intended, generally begin to fall apart.

Same thing with costumes, makeup, hairpieces.

If one is going to release on a more highly resolved platform, the image must be massaged at a minimum.

Many fx films are best left at 1920, and not go higher.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
It will be interesting when War of the Worlds (1953) gets released on Blu-ray and how much more you will see the wires suspending the Martian war machines in certain scenes.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
HD has had profound effects on the detail required in sets and on the technicality of makeup, as well. Used to be you could use pancake, but that's long gone and the base now has to be delicately sprayed on. And it still looks too obvious in many HD presentations. And all the non-digital spacecraft in films like Star Wars looked less plastic and cheap on DVD.

One of the reasons I'm staying at Blu-ray is exactly because there is a level by which HD makes the films, sets and props look even more fake. Especially for the films we grew up with. It's like looking behind the curtain where the last veneer of magic is swept away by the ultra-realism.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
It will be interesting when War of the Worlds (1953) gets released on Blu-ray and how much more you will see the wires suspending the Martian war machines in certain scenes.

I would like them to give us both options, with or without wires. Not sure if the audiences back in '53 saw the wires or how much.

The CAV LD the wires were somewhat visible. The first DVD they were somewhat visible too, the second edition they stuck out like a sore thumb.

Either way, as long as they do some work in restoration, and bring out that Technicolor...I'll be happy.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Resolution is part of it, but I find with digital, it's the stability of the image that makes it so much more revealing. Projected film, even 70mm, is constantly shifting, which tends to blend things together. Digital is rock solid. For example, while watching 2001 in 70mm recently, I couldn't help but notice how much better the front projected backgrounds in the Dawn of Man sequence look on film. On blu-ray, they stand apart much more, even though that's 1080p on a 60" display, versus a higher resolution 70mm print on a 50' screen.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How do special effects from 15 years ago compare to today? Not necessarily great. It depends on how they did them, particularly if they were relying on rapidly evolving CG which is only recently doing human animation convincingly.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I would like them to give us both options, with or without wires. Not sure if the audiences back in '53 saw the wires or how much.

The CAV LD the wires were somewhat visible. The first DVD they were somewhat visible too, the second edition they stuck out like a sore thumb.

Either way, as long as they do some work in restoration, and bring out that Technicolor...I'll be happy.

It was doubtful that wires would have been seen.

Dye transfer prints were extremely soft.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I am assuming your referring to 2004 Spiderman 2 and not the recent Amazing Spiderman 2. When you saw Spiderman 2 was it on 35mm or a 2K DCP or 4K DCP?

So on a movie released in 2004 that looked stunning on a commercial projection screen I am just puzzled how it can look good on a 720 X 480 dvd then loose realism and look bad/fake at 1920 X 1080 or blu-ray?

I am just wondering because I have viewed my blu-ray on a Sony 3 chip lcd rear projection HDTV, Samsung 9000 series 55" 4K UHD TV and a LG 43" 4K UHD TV. And I never thought the video quality or special effects looked fake or cardboard cut out.

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0194a.jpg

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Well, I don't know what to say to all of that you speak, but if the DVD is well authored, it looks great upscaled to 4K. The same goes for BB upscaled to 4K.

Some of my DVDs upscaled look super, some look like crap. I.E., ALLIGATOR PEOPLE look super...ABOMINIBLE SNOWMAN looks likes crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thebox
Recent bookmarks