What's new

What is the difference between the 2 Toshiba models? (1 Viewer)

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone explain the difference between the two Toshiba models (other than the chassis)? Also, I understand the RCA player is the same as one of the Toshiba models, but which model?

One final question: I have 7.1 speaker setup in my ht. Am I understanding correctly that 7.1 will not work on the HD players or did I misread that or am I just totally confused? I read the Toshiba brochures and it says only 5.1 output.

Pete T C

Second Unit

That is correct, the current players only support 5.1. IMO 7.1 is really a gimmick for home theater anyway, as the original reason it was developed was to provide surround fill for the center section of very wide/large commercial theaters without blasting out the side sections. Properly positioned 5.1 speakers are actually superior to 7.1 in a home theater IMO, because too many surround speakers can reduce ambience and localize the surround field - and no home theater is wide enough to actually benefit from 7.1. The only reason 6.1/7.1 got to the home theater market is because Dolby attempted to trump DTS5.1 with DD5.1EX and THX tried to get back into the HT gear business using it as a vehicle. Of course, DTS then trumped DD5.1EX with DTS ES 6.1. In the end though, for an HT you really don't want to go larger than properly positioned 5.1 for the best sound.

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. I forgot one other question. I have a projector in my setup and I have a cable box with an hdmi input and if I get the RCA or Toshiba that would be two with hdmi. Does anyone have an idea how I can run hdmi straight from the projector (attached to the ceiling) to both the cable box and the hd dvd player?

timNGY

Stunt Coordinator
Jay,

You're either gonna need an HDMI switcher, or a new receiver that has multiple HDMI inputs. Personally, I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi that has two HDMI inputs (1 for upconverting DVD player and 1 for DTV box). I then run a single HDMI cable from the receiver to the Panny 900 projector.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quick question....

Any resolution loss when adding an HDMI switcher?

And how about the loss in this type of connection...

How about HD-DVD to HDMI switcher to HDMI receiver input
to HDMI television input?

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

I go through my Denon 4806 to my Samsung LCD and notice no problems with the PQ. I also attached some vibrapods to my unit to reduce vibration.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

This may be true, but it is not the full story. I do not know if they have posted the firmware update. I do know that if you have a internet connection that you can use the setup menu to upgrade the firmware. It takes about 30 minutes and my RCA now says that it is running 1.4 (and it still thinks it is an RCA, FWIW). I did this last Friday.

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
I appreciate everyone's help. I'm about to buy this thing but before I do, I had one last question.

Does it matter that my projector is only 720p? Did I read correctly that unless I'm at 1080i that it may not be worth getting until I upgrade the projector?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
People are reporting good results with 720p; just make sure you don't make the mistake of setting the resolution of the Toshiba to 720p--it is supposed to match the media (i.e., 1080), not the display. If you set the Tosh to 720 it will look terrible, guaranteed, because it downconverts to 480 then back up to 720.

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to buy it mostly due to the peer pressure I feel from reading this website.

Mods,

Can we start a FAQ on this dvd player? Also, I noticed when I go to the main page and click on the pull-down box that this particular forum is not available from the pull-down menu. I thought you might want to add it. Thanks!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey everyone,

Here is my delema. I got tired of waiting for the Sony Blu-ray player to come out. So I decided to get a HD-DVD player till Sony gets there act together. I heard from a salesman at a local retailer that the HD-XA1 had better specs than the HD-A1 did. Am not sure how true that is?

So I want to find out if I should spend more money on the HD-XA1 or save money and buy the HD-A1? The HD-A1 is kinda ugly and the other player does look alot nicer. The most important thing is what model will peform the best? I am planing to buy a 1080p projector a few years down the line and maybe even a Faroudja scaler to kick up the video quality another notch.

This is my upgrade plan for the next 5 years.
Toshiba HD-DVD Player
Sony Blu-ray Player
Denon Reciever with 1080p hdmi switching and (DD+, D-HD and DTS-HD)
1080p projector with Stewert Film Screen 120" Screen
? Possible Faroudja Scaler ?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

You'll get many different replies here on this subject.

The cosmetics of the player should not be a factor.

The question is, do you want to pay $300 for a player that
will give you the same exact picture quality?

Or, do you want to pay $300 more for a better built system that
may or may not suit your needs?

Personally, with a format war going on and the prospect of having
to buy two separate players, I recommend spending as little as
possible on both players. Had there been ONE format I would have
easily bought the $799 Toshiba HD-AX1, though it doesn't suit my
needs. But with two formats? You will get the same picture quality
from both units.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thanks for the input Ronald, as it is much apreciated. I was not sure if this one salesman was blowing smoke or not. When he claimed the HD-AX1 had better specifications or not? I hate looking at the HD-A1 because it looks like an ugly cheap model from the 80's. But if it is behind a peice of smoked glass I most likely will not notice very much. :laugh:

I would rather spend more money on a Blu-ray player anyway. Am still thinking about weather I am buying the Sony or Pioneer Blu-ray player. I think I will take your advice Ronald and just buy the Toshiba HD-A1 and save some money. I do not have a Creston controler so I really do not need the RS232 port. The only thing that matters is a great picture and great sound.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

My advice is that if you are going for Blu-Ray, to wait for the
Sony to be released. Should be the same price and I am purely
speculating that it will be a better player than the Samsung.

However, I would advise more strongly that you not wait and
pick up the Toshiba HD-DVD, as it seems you have already decided
to do.

Let us know what you think of it, please.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Ronald,

Will let you know what I think of the Toshiba as soon as I get it. The only thing I have to do is save the money to buy it. I should have the player around September 1st no later than October. Everything I buy I have to save for so I will be putting the HD-DVD player to the test as soon as I get it home.

And I will also take your advise on the Blu-ray player and wait for the Sony to come out. :D

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I agree that its a matter of the digital signal getting there or not. But If there is a problem I feel it will be cause by another device being placed in the chain. Another words the hdmi hand shake getting messed up because there is yet another conection between the player and the tv. I can not say that it will but I am just wondering if this may end up being an issue or not ???

Don't mind me just thinking out loud :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks