What's new

What is the best universal reomte for around $50 (1 Viewer)

Brook

Agent
I know their really isn't a lot of good ones for $50, but I want to find a universal(learning if possible) remote. Any suggestions?

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I bought a Sony something-or-the-other for $35 new on eBay. It's served me beautifully. Of course, these days my DVD player, CD player and TV are the only components that can be controlled by a remote, but in the past it's controlled an integrated amp and a receiver. If your requirements are more complex, this may not work out for you. It's got a lot of stuff already programmed, you can learn functions to almost all the buttons, and you can program macros. I think it has all the basic features of any learning remote, and I have no complaints with the ergonomics.
Having said all that, I don't remember the model # :)

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I have a couple of recommendations.
1st, the Sony RM-VL900. It lists for $50. It can learn, has a good built-in code base to get you going sooner and it supports macros (which can automate the common tasks of running your home theater.) Here is remotecentral's review. Sony RM-VL900 Review
My 2nd recommendation would be the One For All URC-8811 Learning Remote Control for around $25. These One For All series of remotes (which also includes the Radio Shack model noted above) are unique. They can literally create remote control codes by just entering a series of numbers. And even better, OFA users have found out how to link a PC to these models and program them via computer. This allows even more control (not to mention the ability to back up your configuration.) The 8811 can learn, has a HUGE built-in code base (technically unlimited if you use the PC) and supports macros.
The 8811 is a brand new model and is not yet widely available. I bought mine at http://surfremotecontrol.com/index.htm Their purchase link is at http://www.surfremotecontrol.com/Mer...egory_Code=OFA This link also mentions the PC link cable (JP1 interface cable) and has a link to the world of using this thing with a PC.
It is well worth pointing out that even if you don't want to try the JP1 interface, the 8811 is still a VERY VERY powerful remote. It can easily control up to 8 devices and can often do so without any learning necessary.
Good luck with your search!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Brook,

1st, the Sony RM-VL900. It lists for $50. It can learn, has a good built-in code base to get you going sooner and it supports macros (which can automate the common tasks of running your home theater.).
I whole heartedly agree with Chuck! This Sony is damn good for the money (I got mine for $44 on-line). It does everything I need and learned everything that it wasn't set up for. Versatile and flexible...that's what I'm looking for and it has it in spades!

Jon Duke

Stunt Coordinator
Do you think the One For All remote above would be a better option than the Onkyo learning remote that came with a 575X?

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I've never had any experience with the Onkyo remote. But the 8811 (and some of it's siblings) are unique. If you have a use for one, it can come in VERY handy. Even if you're happy with your Onkyo remote, the 8811 can make it even better (by teaching your Onkyo some commands you may not even have yet.)
One example...
Better Sony TVs have several video inputs to accomodate a variety of sources. But the one nasty thing is that Sony's TV remote only has a toggle command. You have to keep pressing the thing again and again to get to the input you want. Well, the 8811 can, with one button press, take you directly to say, Video input #5. Which is sweet!
Take a look here at Setup codes, Advanced codes and discrete codes. It's fairly simple and it works! http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/index.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks