What is the best long distance plan or prepaid phone card for intrastate calls?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Bethel, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I'm using net2phone which is $.05 per minute but the line quality is crap. I saw an add for the MCI 575 which comes out to about $0.035 per minute - not sure if there are any hidden costs. Any suggestions would be great. [​IMG]

2. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I've used many of those MCI 575 minute cards. They're great and the only "hidden" charge is a 25 cent charge if you call from a pay phone.

3. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Thanks Julie. Where do you purchase your MCI 575 cards? I just happen to see them on the Cosco website which is about 30 miles from my house.

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    The AT&T cards from Sam's Club are the way to go. Just under $.035/min. They don't expire and you can recharge them over the phone with a credit card. Best part, no hidden charges and service fees. This is how I have been doing my long distance for about two years.

5. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Well, I just signed up with bigzoo.com for $.029 per minute...although there is a monthly $0.75 charge. I'll probably go with MCI or AT&T later. Thanks everyone.

6. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Yes, I get my cards at Costco. They've cut my montly phone bill from $120 to $20. I'm very happy with them.

7. Michael St. Clair

Wow, I direct dial for a nickel a minute (interstate and intrastate)...didn't realize it was so bad out there some places.

8. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I also get the MCI575 card from Costco. 3.5c/min without any real hassle. You can refill it easily with a credit card when you dial the access number.

I have 7c/min on direct dial, but hey, for half price, I'll dial the extra numbers.

Todd

9. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I go with Americom.com. They basically hook you up to another company. I pay 5c/minute for state-to-state calls, and I think 6.5c/min for intrastate calls. They also provide a free toll-free number, which is 5c/min. There is no monthly fee, and they have 6-second billing. Therefore, a 2 second hangup call costs about 0.5 cents, and a 61 second call costs about 5.5 cents. Most plans I've been on have full-minute billing, so a 2 second call costs 5-50 cents, and a 61 second call would cost 10 cents to a dollar. I've never had any problems with the quality or the service, and I've actually convinced long-distance salespeople who've called my house to switch their own service (although most just hang up when I tell them what I get).