What's new

What is the best deal for DirectTV & Tivo? (1 Viewer)

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I live in Houston, and have decided to switch from digital cable to DirecTV and Tivo. I am looking for the best deal for my entire system.
I will want a Direct/Tivo unit for for my living room. The Sony SAT-T60 seems like the best deal for $299 after rebate.
If I should be considering another Tivo machine please let me know.
My main question is where can I get the best deal for the dish and other receiver(s)?
I have two other rooms besides my living room, that I would like to be able to receive the satellite broadcast in. I could live with one receiver providing the signal for the other two rooms, since there are only two of us living here.
I would assume that a machine with a RF remote would be cheaper than having a receiver with a IR remote in each of the other rooms.
Can anyone tell me where to go to get the best deal (hardware plus installation) on this equipment? Also please tell me which model dish and receivers I should buy and why.
Thanks
Shade

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Dish Depot
http://www.dishdepot.com
gets high marks from people here. At least this will give you some basis of comparison for pricing since they appear to be quite competetive with others. You can then choose to purchase over the internet or from local sources.
Happy hunting.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Jeff_N

Agent
It looks like Dish Depot is only for Dish Network.
I just got the Philips DSR3000 from American Satelite. It's a DirecTivo unit. I was lucky. I got the DSR3000, multi-satelite dish, installation and a $100 rebate for $439. ($339 after rebate) I was even an existing customer. This expired in July, but I suggest that you just look around, and you will find some deals. One thing about the DirecTiVo: You cannot record cable stations with it like you can with a normal TiVo.
My unit also came with a 4-receiver splitter. It was quite a deal!
Just keep looking...

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
What are the differences between the different types of Direct TV dishes?
What is the Multi-Satellite dish, listed on the American Satellite web site?

Shade,
The multiple-satellite is the 18x24 dish used with DirecTV and is required for HDTV and local channels in certain markets. It picks up multiple satellites at 119,101 and 110 (110 kits are optional and used for Local channels in select locations in NC). I had to switch to the Multi-sat dish myself because I live in Pittsburgh and the locals are broadcast on the 119 satellite. Hope this helps.

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
What is the difference between a single LNB and a dual LNB?
What hardware do I need to be able meet my following needs?:
1) Direct Tivo machine in living room.
2) Ability to receive HDTV broadcasts in future without having to change out my dish. Having to add another machine in the future to receive or decode the HDTV signal is acceptable.
3) Ability to receive local channels.
4) Ability to watch Direct TV on the TV's in the bedroom and office.
5) Only two different channels will ever need to be watched at the same time, and one of the two channels will always be in the living room. I guess what I am trying to say here is that the Bedroom and Office could share a receiver if that is the more cost effective or practical way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks