Need possible satellite advice

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rick_N, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Rick_N

Rick_N Extra

Ok guys could use opinions and options. I am moving into a brand new house from my apartment in Nashville. I just found out today, less than 2 weeks away, that Comcast cable is not in my area. My builder told me yes, boy was I stupid to believe that. So I am doublechecking with a rep of theirs tomorrow to see when they will be there or if the info of Comcast support is wrong. But if not, I will need satelite for TV. I have an HDTV and would prefer not to give up the HD signal but price is important and I don't have a limitless supply of money so getting the best deal is important. I do not have a telephone line near where the TV is going and if I understand right, I need that for Tivo access, is that correct? I would like Tivo but not a requirement. I guess the main question is what are my options and what equipment would be best? At Best Buy locally, there is a 2 room DirectTV for 99.99 minus a 100 dollar mail-in rebate. I know this is standard but is that an ok deal. Does anyone know if they will do the installation for free if I upgrade to a better receiver? What is a better receiver? Is there such a thing as a better receiver? I just need help guys? [​IMG] I'm lost now and have no idea what to do. I guess also, can I get this stuff online and save money as well? I guess so but no idea where to shop. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

2. MikeMeehan

MikeMeehan Stunt Coordinator

DBSforum and DBStalk are two good places to find info (this forum has some knowledgeable satellite members). Expert Satellite is a great online place to buy. good luck.

3. Tommy T

Tommy T Stunt Coordinator

Rick,
    I can't really comment on Tivo but if you are wanting to get HD I would shy away from the Best Buy package and go with one of the HD/DirecTV packages. You'll need to get one of these receivers to get HD anyway. You'll also need an over the air antenna to receive your local stations in HD, if they are available. The last time I checked, I saw some old RCA HD/DirecTV receivers for about $250. I saw packages from about $400 and up.
    As far as subscription prices, I probably have one of the cheaper ones in that I have Total Choice plus, with locals and the HD package for about $60/month. Just watching Discovery Theater in HD makes it worth every penny, I mean, isn't that why we bought an HD display in the first place?

Tommy

4. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

You might also consider the DISH network instead of DirecTV if HDTV is your main interest for a couple of reasons.
    • DISH has just upgraded its HDTV offerings to take the lead again with the addition of HDNET, ESPNHD and HDNETMovies to its other offerings. The HD lead switches back and forth between DISH and DirecTV so this could change again. The viewer wins since competition breeds additional channels.
    • By the end of the year DISH will be introducing its Model 921 HD PVR (two tuners) which is state of the art for PVR. While there are some TiVo features that it doesn't have, it will be the only HD PVR out there for time shifting (unless you go the D-VHS or HDPC route). Also, no phone line required for Dish PVR operation. Not inexpensive though.
    • By Nov/Dec of this year Dish will be offering its Superdish which is positioned to take advantage of some new satellites just launched. What is currently on the 61.5 and 148 "birds" will soon be on the new satellite, which will result in a greater capacity for HDTV offerings via DISH (Echostar.)
    Just some more things to mull over if HD is the priority. Lots of other things to consider, which I'm sure others will share with you.

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

DISH does not authorize the home owner to make changes themselves, DIRECTV will allow you to make changes.
    Just make sure you get the Oval dish with 3 lnbs
    good luck!