What's new

What is DVNR? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
What exactly is dvnr and what do dvnr artifacts look like??? I was watching episode 4 of The Mary Tyler Moore Show and it looks like it is riddled with what I think people call dvnr artifacts...I could see it on shiny items that shimmered and then got dark for a second and then light again...it was very distracting....would it have looked this way when originally broadcast?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
DVNR: Digital Video Noise Reduction. DVNR typically looks like smearing because it sacrifices detail to get rid of the noise

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
This thread on dvdfile compares the picture quality of the Elite edition of Evil dead with the most recent Anchor bay release.
Of course the AB one has been cropped for a 16:9 frame, but I believe it has also been subjected to DVNR, which introduces a softer look.
Other factors may be at work here as well, the picture on the AB release also looks darker to me, I don't know if that is the result of DVNR as well, but anyway the picture quality of the AB release is a bit soft in comparison.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
DVNR results in a loss of detail in most examples...

Check out the Betty Boop laserdiscs released by Republic (the "complete" set). The animation looks like it has been erased of detail on lines!

There's a much better alternative to DVNR (besides the optimal decision to RESTORE film) which is to either use Lowry Digital Image's NASA-developed software or use Mathematical Technologies' digital restoration software (used by Criterion) for minor stuff.

Gone With The Wind (Region 1, not R2) is FULL of DVNR and it looks awful. While the color is generally good, it's probably the only classic transfer I've seen that I avoid because of the poor quality!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks