What's new

What is audio upsampling? (1 Viewer)

GregBe

Second Unit
I just bought a HK DPR 2005 and it has this feature that I am unfamiliar with. Here is how the owners manual describes it. "When this feature is turned off, digital sources are processed at their native sampling rate. For example, a 48kHz digital source will be processed at 48kHz. However, the DPR 2005 allows you to upsample the incoming 48kHz signals to 96kHz for added resolution...Note that this feature is only available for the Dolby Pro Logic II Movie and Music modes"

Greg

John S

Senior HTF Member
Interesting.. I'm not a big fan of dithering audio. But intersting. I would be curious as to the results if tried?

GregBe

Second Unit
I just set it up late last night, and have not had time to play with it yet, but I will let you know what differences in sound that I hear.
In the meantime, if anyone can tell me what I should be listening for, I would appreciate it.

Greg

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same option on my H/K AVR430. It only works when DPLII or DPLIIx processing is used.
I have tested this option on PCM 48K signals and the sound seems to be richer (wider soundstage) when upsampling is on. It is true that the improvement is quite subtile, but I always keep the upsampling feature turned on.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
It certainly won't add more resolution,it is more of a "upconversion" to the DSP chip's native processing rate which is probably 24/96,so it can work easier,so no other conversion is required.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks