1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

AV Receiver: time for an upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Scott DeToffol, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Message #1 of 14 Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

Scott DeToffol
    After 17 years, I think I'm due for an AV receiver upgrade. I've been happy with the 5.1 performance of my trusty Nakamichi AV-10, but I want something new and fun. Here's what I'm looking for:
    • Ample power to drive my B&W 603 S2s and Velodyne FSX-12 sub.
    • I plan on running 5.1.2 by adding front up-firing ATMOS speakers, placed on top of my fronts
    • Ability to add more speakers later
    • Future proof support for movie audio codecs (Atmos, DTS:X)
    • Good sounding 2-channel music (mostly streaming at this point)
    • Auto calibration
    • 4K HDR pass-through to my LG OLED B6
    • Works well with XBOX S for UHD Blu-Ray

Nice to have:
    • Chromecast support
    • 1080p --> 4K upsampling

Here is my consideration set at the moment.
    • Sony STR-DN1080
    • Pioneer VSX LX303
    • Pioneer VSX LX503
    • Onkyo TX-NR787
    • Denon AVR-X3500H
    • Yamaha RX-V685
    • Marantz SR5013

Suggestions?

2. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

Scott DeToffol
    I made the call and got the Pioneer VSX-LX503. After a few hours of setup, I'm very impressed. I think I waited too long to upgrade :)

3. Type A

Type A HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Ty
    Congrats, 17 years is a long run. I average 5-6 years, seems to be the sweet spot to upgrade to the latest codecs and formats that will be utterly obsolete in 5-6 years <_<

4. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I would go with the Marantz SR-6013, second choice a Denon then the Sony but I would step up to the STR-DN1100 as it is the same price as the SR-5013. But those are the three I would go with with Marantz being my top pick! I know you list has the 5013 but not only do I not see speaker terminals for Atmos channels but no ability to use power amps for Atmos channels. I would also seriously reconsider using the reflecting Atmos modules. They honestly will not give you the real immersive environment you think they will. Reflecting sound is also a bad idea as you loose definition and introduce distortion from the sound bouncing off a solid object. You may also want to research and see if your XBox will actually pass Atmos to your receiver or it will just be 5.1 even though you would have 5.1.2 capability. I know the Marantz SR-5013 and all models above it give you dual sub out. I how ever am not sure if the 5013 or the 6013 gives you separate eq and cross overs for each subwoofer. But I would wait a bit longer and pick up the 6013 that will be a great trade off from going with the flagship and give you more flexibility for the future so you do not have to replace the receiver to soon. It is my honest opinion that Audyssey is the best way to go. Oh nice choice on the 4K OLED!

I myself am considering upgrading my bedroom receiver which is a Pioneer Elite SC-05 to a Marantz SR5013, Denon AVR-X3500H or Sony SRT-DN1100. Will be upgrading my Samsung 4K player soon and the Samsung will go to the bedroom system.

This system is set up as 7.1.4 but is capable of 7.2.4 (Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, Auro 3D, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, Dolby Vision, HDR, Imax Enhanced, Three zone audio, Three 4K HDMI Outs, Toridal Transformer, dual subwoofer crossover, 4K upconversion from 480p and 1080p sources) This is the receiver that replace my Pioneer Elite SC-05 and the one that beat out the Denon, Yamaha and Sony to win the spot in my home theater! IMG_2519a.
    IMG_2353a.
    20190101_150852a.
    20190414_122111a.

DAVZWAY likes this.
  5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Marantz tells me that that was never implemented! The email stated that it was not implemented but if Dolby asked them to do it then it would be in an update.

6. DAVZWAY

DAVZWAY Auditioning

David Willis
    Like your AV room setup.. The Altec speakers caught my eye ,, "A-7" ?? in the late 1960's Altec called them 'Voice of Theater' speakers. ONLY available in Black painted plywood cabinet (NOT suitable to the 'better half', spent more than 11 HOURS building the two cabinets to Altec Lansing specs (did glue, caulk and real careful with insulation, using walnut veneer and expensive cloth screen front, Voice of Theater measured at 24" D x 60" H x 36" W,,, using a 20" woofer and 17" CAST aluminum horn if memory serves). The 110 hours was worth it when placed side by side with Altec factory VoT with McIntosh amp (tube) and Dual turntable sounded far BETTER on my version of Altec Voice of Theater than factory speakers. Sound has yet to be beat, though B&O Penta 2 speakers (c. 1992) come close. davzway

7. DAVZWAY

DAVZWAY Auditioning

David Willis
    was 110 HOURS, not 11.. not sure why reply wasn't liked.. Altec A-7 used to be 'Voice of Theater' speakers,, provided the lower section has 17" cast aluminum horn and upper section where only narrow vertical slot for woofer can be seen is covering the 20" overall dimension of woofer. The St Peterburg Bay Front Center used these speakers up in ceiling overhead mounted to steel girder beams to provide sound for the entire theater.

8. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Thanks Davzway, I purchased mine from my father in the 90's so I have had them for awhile. Back in the late early 80's my father had these Altec A-7's which where gray and he had a second pair that where black. Before I knew he was selling off everything he had sold the black pair, a pair of 18" subs and three Yamaha 300 watts/channel stereo power amplifiers.

Altec speakers 1995 01.

9. English Invader

English Invader Stunt Coordinator

Simon
    One thing I'm curious about is why you have such an elaborate sound system and only a modestly sized TV - it doesn't look like it's much bigger than 40" (and even that might be a bit on the generous side)?

10. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    It might be hard to believe but my tv is a 55" and it is most likely the size of the A-7's that make the tv look small. And it is a Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K HDR/Dolby Vision/IMAX Enhanced TV which was the biggest OLED I could afford from Sony. The TV may be on the small side by todays standards but the picture is amazing.

IMG_2321a.

11. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    To each his own. My good audio system is what most people would consider rather elaborate, in a dedicated room, and I have a 42" plasma. Personally, I think most people get TVs that are uncomfortably big.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I don't quite understand that logic about being uncomfortably big?

13. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I don't have a problem with the gigantic speakers or the size of the TV. But what would drive me absolutely nuts is not having the screen and center speaker centered perfectly between those monstrous mains.:D

Peter Apruzzese likes this.
  14. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Who ever said logic was involved with anything I say? :blink: