What's new

What is a "5 Tool Player?" (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I have heard baseball players referred to as a "5 Tool Player" but have yet to hear what the 5 tools are. Can someone enlighten me?

Phil L

Supporting Actor
1. Hit for average 2. Hit for power 3. Field their position 4. run well, steal bases 5. Throw.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
It's

1. Fielding

2. Arm strength

3. Batting for power

4. Batting for average

5. Running ability.

Also known as A-Rod

Cam S

Screenwriter
Wow, sounds like you guys are describing Cecil Fielder to a T! :D

Ken Griffey Jr. and Bonds would be considered 5 tool players as well.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
I don't think Griffey will be trying to steal bases anymore after all the leg injuries he's had. Especially not if it only opens 1st base for a team to put Dunn on.

Bonds doesn't really have the arm or speed he used to.

Jeter is a 5-tool guy, although with considerably less power than A-Rod or Vlad.

Soriano could be one if his fielding picks up.

Other 5-tool guys

Magglio Ordonez, Miguel Tejada, Nomar- None of these guys run much but they're on teams that don't steal bases

Phil L

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Jeter's fielding is at best average, although he fields to his right as well as any shortstop currently playing. I still think his fielding is good enough to make him a marginal five tool player.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Jeter's fielding in the post season is second to none but the man doesn't have great power.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Jose Cruz jr? The guy with a career .251 average and .467 slugging percentage? He's not exactly what I'd call 5 tool. He's not a waste of a roster space, mind you...but still, at 28yrs old he needs to do something quick to be considered among the leagues top 25.

Up until about 2yrs ago you could make a case for Bagwell. Now he's really just 4 tool since he doesn't run much, but he does at least run wisely.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Soriano?

39 HR, 102 RBI, 41 SB and .300avg last year; has above average arm strength and is coming around in his fielding (though he has to work on it still).

(Just noticed Phil L's comment on this.) :b

However, there's much less emphasis on stolen bases nowadays, hence it's harder and harder to find such players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks