What's new

What happened to the NesterDC thread? (1 Viewer)

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if, and why, the NesterDC thread got pulled from the gaming section? Unless I missed something, I don't recall any discussions about pirating. Thanks

Steven K

Supporting Actor
That's funny... I was always under the assumption that as long as you owned the actual game, that owning the ROM was legal (and in my case, a huge benefit because many of my old NES games no longer work (along with my NES) but they aren't any more "legal" than the next guys...)
As such, I guess it's just best to leave it a dead issue :)
[Edited last by Steven K on October 10, 2001 at 03:26 PM]

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Its one big legal grey area that one. I believe its the case that its only legal if you rip the rom yourself, getting a copy is illegal even if you have the cartridge. Since no-one has ever contested it in a court though, its difficult to say.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Its one big legal grey area that one. I believe its the case that its only legal if you rip the rom yourself, getting a copy is illegal even if you have the cartridge. Since no-one has ever contested it in a court though, its difficult to say.
Yup - it's a nice huge legal blackhole as it's never really been tested in courts with regards to emulation & ROMs per se.
Nintendo are especially tough on ROMs... What platform was getting discussed again? :)
------------------
Nothing In Particular

James D S

Screenwriter
It's a shame really.
I've got a stack of NES carts sitting on a shelf, but with inputs being a premium on my HT wall, I don't have room for the system. Using EMUs is the only way to play them - So discussion on EMU (especially in a videogame forum) about systems that are a decade and a half old would be nice. It helps to answer questions that arise.
Legally, there is nothing wrong with EMUs using ROMs for carts you own. And the law is blurry at best about ROMs you don't.
EMU is the only viable way for anyone to retrogame, anymore.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Sorry guys. I deleted it because, like you said it is a legal black hole with lots of grey areas. Since we do not allow the discussion of any bootlegged or illegal copying of materials I deleted the thread. I appreciate the fact that you want to discuss this but I do not want this discussed on this forum.
I appreciate your understanding in this matter.
Parker

Steven K

Supporting Actor
No problem Parker... I understand that it's a gray area, and there are plenty of EMU boards out there to discuss emulation on. I just didn't know why the thread was closed. Usually one of the admins leaves a last post before locking the thread, but I guess there are reasons for just deleting it instead of locking it. Thanks for the explanation.

James D S

Screenwriter
We understand Parker.
...and there are plenty of EMU boards out there to discuss emulation on.
Have you been to any of these boards? Childish like you wouldn't believe.
icon13.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks