What's new

What happened to Fanny and Alexander (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Didn't MGM announce Fanny and Alexander as scheduled for release late in 2001? Or do I just have the date wrong?

Does anyone have an update on this?

Not that I'm expecting great things from an MGM release of a foreign film, but it might be better than nothing.

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
I just hope that when they do release it, they do it properly by breaking the movie in 2 DVDs. I am afraid that trying to cram the movie in one single DVD would compromise the look of this beautiful film.

JC

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if it's any consolation, but it's coming out on R2 later this month (I have my copy on order). It's the full TV series (rather than the shortened cinema version) and it's split over two discs. I don't think there are many extras.

Incidentally, if you're a Bergman fan, it might be worth tracking down 'Faithless'. It's directed by Liv Ullman, but from a script by Bergman, and it's got a fair number of the old master's touches. For some reason this one seems to have slipped under a lot of film fans' radars.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
MGM has never announced its intentions for this film; all discussion of it has been the result of speculation by us fans.

The UK Region 2 edition was originally scheduled for late last year, but is now due later this month.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
This and Wings of Desire are the 2 Foreign films that I most want to see MGM put out. I have a feeling that Fanny might be in the next batch of their foreign film line.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
DonaldB, I'm almost 100% sure that a date was announced. I think I read it on The Digital Bits, but unfortunately they don't archive the upcoming title announcements.

However, I did find this from the MGM/HTF chat transcript:

Yes for both...pending some legal tangles.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Oops. Found at The Digital Bits:
Later this year look for...Wings of Desire...and Fanny and Alexander
No exact dates were given. Quite possibly they pulled this from the HTF chat transcript.

My mistake.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
MGM also has the rights to Persona and a few other Bergman's, presumably several would be released together.

But I think if they do release Fanny & Alexander it will be the shorter theatrical version.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Well, I bit and ordered the 5 hour R2 release. I figure that if MGM does a release it'll be the 188 min. version. If I'm wrong then I just wasted about $30 ;) (not that I consider F&A to be a waste mind you).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks