What happened to Fanny and Alexander

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rain, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Rain

Rain Producer

Didn't MGM announce Fanny and Alexander as scheduled for release late in 2001? Or do I just have the date wrong?

Does anyone have an update on this?

Not that I'm expecting great things from an MGM release of a foreign film, but it might be better than nothing.

2. Juan C Toro

Juan C Toro Stunt Coordinator

I just hope that when they do release it, they do it properly by breaking the movie in 2 DVDs. I am afraid that trying to cram the movie in one single DVD would compromise the look of this beautiful film.

JC

3. andrew markworthy

I don't know if it's any consolation, but it's coming out on R2 later this month (I have my copy on order). It's the full TV series (rather than the shortened cinema version) and it's split over two discs. I don't think there are many extras.

Incidentally, if you're a Bergman fan, it might be worth tracking down 'Faithless'. It's directed by Liv Ullman, but from a script by Bergman, and it's got a fair number of the old master's touches. For some reason this one seems to have slipped under a lot of film fans' radars.

4. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

MGM has never announced its intentions for this film; all discussion of it has been the result of speculation by us fans.

The UK Region 2 edition was originally scheduled for late last year, but is now due later this month.

5. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

This and Wings of Desire are the 2 Foreign films that I most want to see MGM put out. I have a feeling that Fanny might be in the next batch of their foreign film line.

6. Rain

Rain Producer

DonaldB, I'm almost 100% sure that a date was announced. I think I read it on The Digital Bits, but unfortunately they don't archive the upcoming title announcements.

However, I did find this from the MGM/HTF chat transcript:

7. Rain

Rain Producer

Oops. Found at The Digital Bits:

8. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

MGM also has the rights to Persona and a few other Bergman's, presumably several would be released together.

But I think if they do release Fanny & Alexander it will be the shorter theatrical version.

9. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

What's the difference between the TV version and the theatrical version? Cheers.

10. Thomas Edstrom

Thomas Edstrom Auditioning

Jeff: The cinema version is 124 minutes shorter than the "directors cut" as IMDB calles it.

11. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I would like to see the longer version of this film.

12. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

Well, I bit and ordered the 5 hour R2 release. I figure that if MGM does a release it'll be the 188 min. version. If I'm wrong then I just wasted about $30 [​IMG] (not that I consider F&A to be a waste mind you).