What's new

what else can i do? (1 Viewer)

tommy_E

Agent
how u doin everyone..

im running my athena's through the yammie HTR-5790..sounds good but not as good as i thought or assumed? i dunno..is there anyway i can get the best out of my stereo? im pretty knowledgeable with this stuff but i just want to know how to get "more" out of it. i put heavy marble tiles under the recevier because it sits on my dvd player, it stopped the vibrations and the sound wasnt too "bright" as all yamahas sound, but wut else? if anyone can help id really appreciate it..

ciao

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I think you need to give us more info. It might be that your receiver just doesn't do what you expected. It may be that you haven't calibrated your system. Maybe the speakers are just bright sounding and not a great match for the receiver. The receiver on top of the dvd player with marble tiles under it to stop vibrations aspect of this is unclear to me. Did that change the sound? The sound of your system or just an external buz that bothered you? What type of connections/components, are you using? Do you use specific surround sound modes to listen to your music? I think if you ask a more specific question, it might be easier for us to try and help out. I personally would not put my receiver on top of my dvd player, even if I could. I also would check that I was sending the right signal to my receiver via my dvd player through a digital connection. I would calibrate my system using a home theater tune-up disk. Are you using a sub? Is the crossover on the receiver properly set up for your particular speakers/sub? The primer on this forum gives a lot of good tips- you might want to check that out. Also, if you do a search using the word set up or calibration, I'm sure you will get a lot of info.

tommy_E

Agent
how u doin jose g...thanks for the feedback..

sry that i didnt get into detail bout it..but the tiles under my receiver worked, the added-weight stops vibrations{like the ones u buy for 300 dollars..the platforms}$took me nothing, had some left of tiles and put em under. my yammie has the YPAO which is an automatic calibration..
i dont know..but like u said that you wuldnt put your receiver ontop of ur dvd player, ive heard its good, ive heard its not..but for my room theres no other place to put it and the audio rack i want is 399$..im only 16 lol so its not like i can go out and buy all the crap i need
thanks..
ciao

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Given my experience with your current setup which is good for a 16 yr old I have to say I'm betting its a case of 2 things:

1. The Athenas are just not what you want. Consider that they are budget speakers. You do get what you pay for with speakers. Personally I found them pretty meh sounding and overly shrill(bright). This however might not be true if we dig deeper into part 2.

2. Speaker setup. How do you have your speakers setup? How far apart? Are they toed in? Do you have an entertainment center or something in between them? How far from the wall are they? I also assume you are using a sufficient gauage of wire such as good old 12 guage?

Is it just stereo you are not impressed/dissapointed with or Home Theater or both?

Can you post a picture of how your room looks?

First things first I would work on #2 and see what we can do. If you continue to be dissapointed then I bet #1 is in play basically meaning the Athena have lost their luster for you. If this is the case, then I would suggest you go out listening with your favorite cds and determine what you like. If it costs more than you are currently willing to spend or planning on spending then perhaps you should just buy 2 speakers(assuming you have a 5.1 setup now..) and work from there.

I would also do search on a flexy rack and try to do one. Putting each component on its own shelf is a great thing. I don't recommend stacking them on top of another. Components need air to breath.

And yes I would work on the grammar a bit. I'm willing to bet it annoys a few folks and won't get you helped out much.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The tile should make no difference at all, and amps would be the last thing you'd need to keep vibration out of (if at all). The added weight did nothing for the receiver, it will still be vibrating, it's just vibrating on tile now since it's your DVD player that's causing the vibration. The extra weight may have helped your DVD player by keeping it from vibrating as much.

I'm in the group that says NEVER put a receiver on top of a DVD player, period. It is, however, better than the DVD player on top, because it will block the air vents, so I guess it's OK for now.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Tommy,

You said " [I'm] running my athena's through the yammie HTR-5790..sounds good but not as good as thought or assumed?"

What are you comparing the sound to? I ask because sometimes when you upgrade a receiver and keep the same speakers, the sound can change drastically. Many folks think that the sound will not change b/c the speakers have not changed, but this is not always true. In fact, many receivers add a quality of their own to the sound, thus the description of "warm" or "bass heavy" for some receivers. I think Shane's point of placement may also be an issue, but the brightness issue of those speakers combined with that receiver may, in fact, be the culprit here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks