What's new

What DVD player on your DLP?? (1 Viewer)

Artis Hall

Grip
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 56" Samsung DLP display and have been struggling to find a competent DVD player. Everything eventually shows some weakness on this thing. At first I thought it was the television but HDTV (hooked up via crappy cable company component cables) looks amazing so that can't be it. The Samsung HD-931 (hooked up through DVI input) was free of the motion artifacts other players showed but was grainy all the time and un-detailed in dark scenes (I hear this is common). The colors were rich and fairly accurate however in bright outdoor/daylight scenes. Long story short I can't keep it or the progressive Sony (bloomy red chroma issue and other PQ problems) from Tweeter cause both look bad in their own way. I am aware of the other DVI capable machines but would really prefer a "known" maker. I am looking at Denons (1200, 2200) and Pioneer Elites (DV-45a, DV-47ai) currently but really would prefer a DVI machine as I think the benefits will be realized in a better player. Can anyone either:

1. Tell me about a player coming down the line from a quality maker with DVI output that does not cost $1500 or..

2. Tell me what you are using on your own DLP Tv, or have seen look good on a DLP Tv in terms of players.

One last question, how far back do you sit from a 56". I have seen competing opinions but one was a THX distance of 7 feet! That is really close I think. The DVD players and even the digital cable looks a lot better from about 11 to 12 feet. HDTV is fine at 7. They say closer involves you in the action on the screen better. Thanks for reading and for replying!

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Is there an option to use an expanded black level on your DLP TV? The DVD-HD931 puts out a 0-255 signal, and most consumer TV's look for 16-235. That's why the visual problems.

I personally like sitting close to THX recommended, but you're absolutely right, the lower the quality of your video feed, the further you need to sit to compensate.

Artis Hall

Grip
Thank you for the reply Gabriel. I will try moving the seating position back. No there is no expanded black level option on this Tv. I have seen that on Elite and Denon players though. I just found out how to get into the service menu and have been advised to change gamma to 0. I also have them holding a Pio DV-45a as that did not look bad when I hooked it up to the same display as I have.

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator
I use an Arcam DV88 Plus with my Samsung HLM617W and it looks fantastic. I really love it. No graniness, rich colors, excellent black levels, great detail. I also use a very good quality component cable. Prior to that I used a Marantz DV7100, but it still showed a bit of graininess on many DVDs. I never notice that with the Arcam. The Arcam DV78 also has excellent quality video (same as DV88, which has better audio). The DV78 is $999 MSRP.

I'm unconvinced about the benefits of DVI. I used a DVI cable with my Sammy STB for about nine months. Then I switched to using a good quality component cable and have been much happier with the picture quailty, especially with standard definition content. My DVI cable sits in a closet now.

Dean

Artis Hall

Grip
Thanks for another good although slightly pricey :) suggestion. It's also not available locally. Keep those replies coming!! 80 views so far and only two people had any suggestion. Denon 1200 or 2200? Pioneer Dv-45a or 47ai? Video is the ULTIMATE concern here. Would only look at a DVD-a/SACD player because it had superior video not because of bass management or anything like that. I have done searches on all of the model numbers and looked at Secrets shootout.

Please help!

Artis Hall

Grip
Unbelievable. Look at the new Secrets DVD player reviews at the address below.

(www)hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=114

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Here is something to keep in mind:

Back in the days we used an antenna.

Then CATV came along and we loved the crystal-clear picture and lack of snow/noise/drop-outs

Then DVD's came along and made CATV and VHS look crappy.

Then HDTV came along and the up-conversion/progressive picture made standard-definition look crappy.

Now I go into a store and see 1 HDTV showing a DVD and the next one a HD feed and the DVD looks crappy by comparison.

Here is my point: you are comparing a 480 source to a 720/1080 source and finding the DVD player lacking. It may be that NO current DVD player will satisfy now that you have seen true HDTV.

A DVD is a modern implementation of a 1940's specification for video on a black-and-white television with a 9" tube. The backwards-compatability of the video is the limitation, not the make/model of DVD player. This might help put things in perspective.

Artis Hall

Grip
Very good point Bob. The first thing I connected though was my old sony DVD player and it looked terrible. I came from a 32" Toshiba so the bigger size I'm sure allows me to see more defects since I'm sitting just a foot further back at this time (mentioned above). HDTV came a week afther the display was delivered and YES it has spoiled me for all other picures.....I unfortunately can't stop comparing everything to HD....it's an addiction/obsession and to your point I did the exact same thing when DVD came out. :b

Artis Hall

Grip
Also a possibility since I have a P4 powered PC with an ATI 9600XT video card and Audigy 2zs THX sound card. The PC would probably put out better sound and picture than most DVD players. The trick is getting them close enough together or just running the cable all the way over there. I think I will disconnect it and pull it over there to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks