what dvd is best to watch after calibrating?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by shane_watson, Jun 13, 2002.

1. shane_watson

shane_watson Stunt Coordinator

im calibrating my set today and i want some opinions on which dvd will i be able to watch and see the changes made by calibration.

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Any DVD considered reference-quality will do. May I suggest a DVD that you are familiar with and that has vivid colors and a range of lighting. Although I don't have it, The Fifth Element seems like an excellent choice.

3. Robert Mayrand

Robert Mayrand Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if it's a reference dvd, but when i watch "Moulin Rouge" on any sytem i can tell if it's calibrated. Some nice dark scene, some really contrasted scene and some blue light red lignt play. To my taste This is one of those film that become quite unwatchable if the color aren't set properly or if there's a littlle bit too much redpush and the red are blooming. The scene where Nicole kidmand is on the top of the elephant with Christian is quite relevent just keep your eye on her lipstick......

Rob

4. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Even tho I have seen it 100xs, I still lvoe watching Fifth elemnt Superbit on my SAMMY TSL3294hf becasue it is sooo visually stunning. My favorite demo disk :)

5. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

If you can stomach watching the movie, "Starship Troopers" looks great. The scene early on when they're playing the footballish game is a fantastic test of any TV. This movie would be perfect if there was a dialogue filter of some sort...

6. ollie_k

ollie_k Stunt Coordinator

for picture I throw in either choice scenes from Phantom Menace or Fantasia 2000. Animation seems to show the clearest colors/contrasts/sharpness etc on my Panny 47 incher.
    For sound I use the opening battle of Saving Private Ryan, it has a nice range of stuff on there.

7. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

I'd place a second vote for the Phantom Menace. I just watched it after having my set calibrated and I was blown away. It was a night/day difference....unfortunately you just don't know what you were missing until afterward.

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I think Vertical Limit had a reference 1.85:1 image. Others include..

- Independence Day
    - The Fifth Element
    - Gladiator
    - Shrek
    - Tarzan
    - Toy Story 2

9. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

A movie I am sure you don't have but is also great with colors is "What Dreams May Come". Sappy movie but unbelievably vivid colors.

10. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    I had one attempt at calibrating my new RPTV (Tosh 50H72) but I need to go back and try the brightness adjustment again (using VE, it made it WAY too bright).

Anyway, to get back to your question, once I'm satisfied (or have given up) with the calibration, I plan on watching 'Barry Lyndon' (the second version, not the original DVD).

11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

12. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter