What's new

What does he 3803 do that the H/K 525 can't? (1 Viewer)

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
I went over budget on my speakers :b And I figured I could shave 300 bucks off the the receiver by going with the H/K 525 over the Denon 3803. I understand that the Denon has component switching at 100mh but the Harmon Kardon will also support High definition switching. Other than that what would I be missing, or should I look at a 2803? My system is Axiom M22's, VP150 and 3-QS8's.

Thanks!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The 3803 will convert incoming composite and S-video signals to component video for output to the tv, so you only need to run one video connection between the receiver and the set--not a major advantage unless your set is short on input options.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I don't know if the HK offers DTS 96/24 but the Denon definitely does. Also the Denon will remember individual channel settings including SW settings for different audio sources which is terrific IMO.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I think the H/K remembers channel settings. I know it can have different crossover settings for each input.

Denon 3803 advantages

Burr Brown DACS and Hammerhead SHARC DSP. = better pre-amp section
Lots more inputs
Video upconversion
100mhz component switching
Video for Zone 2
Pure Direct analog bypass
Learning remote

H/K 525
Better amps
Better looks
Front A/V jacks with optical and coaxial (In or out)

I you want the best sound, I think most people would agree that the H/K has a slight advantage. But the Denon has a lot more features that might be needed. Like, I use all 7 video inputs, the H/K only have 4 on the back (and 1 on the front which I don't count for perminant a solution)

I have not seen power number for both of them, but the H/K will meet the rated 70 watts/all channels or exceed it. The Denon might be over-rated at 110, but it is very strong. The 2803 rated at 90 watts achieved 75 watts per channel/all channels driven. So expect the 3803 to do better than that.

The 2803 is a good contendor, and is very close to the 3803, but loses some of the features listed that the 3803 has over the 525. Unless you need the extra inputs I would get the 525.

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you guys I think that I am going to go ahead and get the H/K, I just can't choke paying the extra 300 bucks for the Denon.

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
Another question before I pull the trigger, what is dts 96/24? 6ave has a Denon for 815 shipped.....decisions decision!

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
DTS 96/24 is support for DVD Audio encoded at 96kbps/24bits. Normal CDs are encoded at 44.1kbps/16bit. What that basically means is that when recording it takes 24 bits (things) of information 96k times a second, versus only 16 bits 44k times a second. What that means to you is super high quality sound. On the current DVD format you can only get about 60 minutes of stereo per disc, which tells you how much room it takes up on the disc. There are verrry few titles that support 96/24, but it gives you more flexibility down the road.

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator
$815 shipped sounds like a sweet deal. Do you have to call them to get that price? Is there someone special to ask for?

I'm in the same boat as you. I spent way too much on my speakers. I actually have to expand my receiver budget now to make sure I get decent enough power to drive those power hungry beasts.

For me there are too many features to pass up on the Denon, especially for that price.

Gus Smith

Grip
I'm not sure I'd list the remote as an 'advantage' for the 3803.
The 525 has a learning/macro capable remote as well.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
^^^ I did not know that. Thank you.

I am happy with the Denon remote. I know some people don't like it, but it is not that bad. I can feel my way to any button in the dark, and if not every button has a backlight.

GeorgeTed

Auditioning
Hi all,

I'm also looking at the 3803. Since my equipment is relatively far from my TV, the video switching to a single component cable is up my alley.

Has anybody noticed any degradation in the video signal? The clarity of HD component is important to me and if I have to take some signal quality lose, I'd rather run all my video directly to the TV.

thanks

g

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
You shouldn't see any degradition when switching component inputs on the 3803. It uses mechanical relays capable of 100 mhz, which is far more than you need. The upconversion is also very well executed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks