What's new

What do you think of these HDTVs? (1 Viewer)

Gil Jawetz

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking at these two models:
Samsung TXM3098WHF
Sony KV-34XBR800

I'm also open to any other suggestions. My hopes are to find a widescreen HDTV in the 30"-40" range (I don't need a monster) that will work with a little less tweaking than I've been reading some of the big sets require. I don't mind setting some settings but don't want to be fooling around constantly. Also, I don't care at all about sound since I'll use my own 5.1 DTS system. I'd like to find something that won't butcher cable TV too badly since I don't plan to sign up for a costlier service any time soon.

I'm hoping to find something in the $1000 to $1500 range but can stretch a bit. I'm not definitely doing any of this, by the way. Just tossing ideas around. Thanks in advance!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The Sony is very good, but I think that it’s selling for a little over $2,000. The out of the box settings (Pro mode) are not too bad. Many of these sets have considerable overscan, but YMMV on both counts.

The Samsung is also very good, though, imo, it does not have quite as good picture quality as the Sony. I needed to crank most of the settings down considerably, but its no big deal. You should be able to find this set for sale within your budget.

I own both sets and am pleased with them both. When I was comparing, the picture on the Sony was equaled by a similar Panasonic set. The only direct display that I found to be superior was one by Lowe—at a price that I did not consider competitive.

Gil Jawetz

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to check these out. The Sony is a bit expensive but if it blows me away maybe I can work it out.

Anyone else have any experience with these?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks