What's new

Amazon 48-Hour Sale in HDTVs & Video (1 Viewer)

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
Thank you for posting this Mr. Collins.. even though I'm late to viewing it lol.

Found the Samsung on the same site for $1678.99 or $2297.99 elsewhere.. think it was Dell.. but you get a 3D Bluray player and 2 Active 3D shades however that's still a bad deal as the glasses can be bought for 25 bucks each online and the player is only 200.00 if that for the models they are offering.

Panny's are so good and yet so cheap. I don't get it. I was about to buy a new 3D Plasma TV and then I backed off and still looking. I didn't expect to see any BFriday deals for sets of this size or specs but there are some out there. Not sure what I wanna do now.

Also, I don't get why some companies wait till Friday to post BFriday deals. Why wait to get the word out at the last minute and risk losing business. People get worried they will miss out and buy up early if possible.

Was wondering if anyone has still encountered the brightness fluctuation issue with the Panny. I read on Amazon under a review that this was at first a tech/appointment only type fix and that the sets from the factory as of August '11.. I think.. come with the fix already. Anyone confirm this?

I'm looking to decide between this Samsung model above and the Panny listed today hopefully. Not only is it my bday today but Thanksgiving week and Black Friday coming up!

update: I called Panny's concierge number and was told that the brightness fluctuation issue was fixed by the engineers so any new sets coming from the factory will not have this problem but she could not tell me as of when. I know it had to of been between July and Sept, 2011.

I would also check with the seller you choose on Amazon for instance to see how old their sets are. The turnaround for my particular company I chose is very fast and models are less than month old so the fix will be there. Hopefully they are being truthful..

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My Sisters family might be interested in the 60" Samsung package for $2500, will have to see what the Costco equivalent is first, thanks!

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
Gonna wait till Friday as well as some specials will not go into effect until Friday like Dell and some other sites out there. I'm all over Monoprice and Amazon though this year so ty again Kevin for the heads up.

Might wanna check this out as well about the Samsung pops and peeling issues:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57318845-221/reports-of-pops-peeling-on-samsung-plasmas-explored/?tag=mncol;rvwBody

I am coming to realize as I explore these BFriday specials for a new set that it seems every TV has an issue one way or another. What makes a difference is how fast the companies remedy those issues. I do not like the idea of spending my cash for something like this and it's basically a toss up whether you get a clean, non defective set or not. The pop, peeling and black issues are hard to overlook but how common is this stuff and I assume you can always send it back but what a pain.

Also seems from reviews that Panny is a little faster on taking care of matters with customers but I can't be for sure. Meh.. I guess like anything else if it has issues I can just send it back and get a new one or get my money back and buy a different set. Not too happy about the main plasma 3d companies.. Panny and Samsung.. having issues with their latest models.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by lvicious

Might wanna check this out as well about the Samsung pops and peeling issues:

[url=http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57318845-221/reports-of-pops-peeling-on-samsung-plasmas-explored/?tag=mncol;rvwBody]http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57318845-221/reports-of-pops-peeling-on-samsung-plasmas-explored/?tag=mncol;rvwBody

I hear ya about the QC problems with display manufacturers these days. VERY FRUSTRATING. The 2011 Panasonic plasma lineup is a perfect example. The fluctuating brightness on early 2011 build dates was a biggie, but at least the company addressed it. The real deal-breaker for me was a problem with panel uniformity. I went through three 50" GT30 panels (ordered from Amazon - all March 2011build dates) that had a "green blob" discoloration just below dead center and areas of magenta discoloration near the edges. It was very noticeable when viewing B&W content or images comprised of large, light colored monochromatic areas such as snowfields. This is a widespread defect that has been reported by numerous customers worldwide. Search over at AVS or High Def Junkies for information before you decide to roll the dice on a 2011 Panasonic.

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
Yep Doug that was definitely something that caught my eye as well. Mentioned in a Cnet review. I think as much as I would love the blacks in the Panny I am rolling with the Samsung 8000. I've had a smaller Samsung for several years and no severe tech issues. Thank you for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks