What's new

What do "Lo/Ro" and "Lt/Rt" stand for? (1 Viewer)

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
I understand that "Lo/Ro" is un-matrixed and "Lt/Rt" is Dolby Surround matrixed. (My DVD player can downmix Dolby Digital to them.)

Assuming "L" stands for left and "R" stands for right, what do "o" and "t" stand for?

I could guess nOn-matrixed and maTrixed, but I'd rather know for sure. ;-)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
LT/RT stands for Left Total / Right Total. As you surmised, this is the term for a two channel mix that contains a matrixed multichannel mix.

Though I see LT/RT all the time in post production, I haven't heard the term LO/RO before, though.

-greg

J

John Morris

Marc: where are you seeing this nomenclature? Edit: Err... I wonder where you are seeing this in consumer gear? Is this a setting on some Receiver or Preamp/Processor?

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I know what Marc is talking about but I have no idea what it is. This is a setting on my dvd player for audio. I have never messed with it and just leave it in "off" mode.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
It's on the DVD setup menu, under "Downmix." It refers to how I want a Dolby Digital source (e.g., a DVD with no other soundtrack) downmixed to the analog stereo outputs. (I'm using coaxial for the digital output.) My choices, as noted are OFF, meaning I get very screwed up sound, Lo/Ro, meaning plain sterero, or Lt/Rt, meaning Dolby Surround matrix.

It's important if you're sending the DVD sound to an analog device. I could tell you more, but it would violate the forum rules...

The terminology I think comes straight from Dolby, as I saw references to this notation in some of their technical papers.

Incidentally, I thought all DVDs had a Dolby Surround track until I got The Nightmare Before Christmas. Dolby Digital only! Maybe this is common, but I never noticed before.

J

John Morris

Ah Haaaa! Now I get you! And in fact, I wonder if my DVD player has the same settings that I overlooked. I primarily use my DVD player audio via the digital output also. However, sometimes, I also like to alter the color compositions of my DVD output and process it through my Sima SCC for fun. In that situation, I do usually use only my analog stereo outputs of my DVD player at the same time to avoid audio mis-syncing. Maybe I need to look and see if in fact my RP91 has those same settings for its' stereo analog outputs???

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I saw the same thing when setting up my new JVC XV-S62SL DVD player last night...

BTW, I was thoroughly impressed by it's performance. I was considering this player before I purchased the RP91. Just yesterday, I was offered a deal that I couldn't refuse ($100)...I couldn't pass it up, so I bought it for the bedroom. I pretty much just "eyed" the settings on my TV (it's used primarily to view sat TV) and it put out a great looking picture. Not bad, JVC!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks