What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (4 Viewers)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
This past week I viewed 2 episodes from my newly purchased DVD set of Ben Casey.

View attachment 64797
Episode 1 "To The Pure" Ben Casey jeopardizes his career in order to perform a delicate brain operation on a young boy. He also gets accidentally stabbed by a needle while administering a rabies vaccine and isn't sure if he contacted the fatal disease himself. He's unable to take then antidote due to an allergic reaction from similar medication and must wait 30 days to see if he's infected. A rare smile from Casey completes this episode.

View attachment 64798
Episode 2 "But Linda Only Smiled" Dr. Casey administers a blood transfusion on a critically ill child, despite the religious objections of her mother. Dr Casey also has to tell a head strong patient he's grown to admire, that she has Hodgkins Disease.

Thanks for these Ben Casey reviews, John! Very interested in this show, despite now being somewhat averse to medical shows (due to my son spending a lot of time in hospitals when he was a baby), and am contemplating picking this S1 set up at some point. If your screencaps are taken from the set, which I assume they are, then the transfers look quite good. I hope you continue to post your thoughts on the episodes here as you progress through the series.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
All this chatter about the spooky Wild Wild West and Thriller episodes is making me break out my DVD sets of both shows and give those episodes a spin again!

There is also a bit goofy but nonetheless enjoyable "haunted house" episode in the Daniel Boone series called "The Inheritance" from Season 4 with lots of screen time for the lovely Patricia Blair..

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Hi Jeff,

First of all, I hope your son is doing better as he matures, I always feel bad when I see small children suffering in hospitals. This isn't the way to start out life.
The Ben Casey photos I posted are indeed screen caps from the DVD set. The visual quality is good, but not awesome. These are the 16mm Worldvision 1 inch tape transfers from the early 80's. They are unedited from what I can see and not time sped. There are areas in certain episodes where some film dirt or splices are evident, but they don't take away from the enjoyment of the show. I'm a stickler for visual perfection, but I can accept these as they are as I've waited SO LONG for this series to be released. Visually, on a scale of 1-4, I'd give it a 3. The annoying Worldvision logo isn't present on any of the season one episodes.
The original mono audio sounds very good as I play these through my surround sound system, There is some occasional short lived audio muddiness in some episodes, but not annoyingly so. I'd give the audio a 3 also.
I think you will enjoy the writing in these episodes and also the early appearances of many famous stars.
Lets hope CBS releases all 5 seasons of Ben Casey.

John

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Hi Jeff,

First of all, I hope your son is doing better as he matures, I always feel bad when I see small children suffering in hospitals. This isn't the way to start out life.
The Ben Casey photos I posted are indeed screen caps from the DVD set. The visual quality is good, but not awesome. These are the 16mm Worldvision 1 inch tape transfers from the early 80's. They are unedited from what I can see and not time sped. There are areas in certain episodes where some film dirt or splices are evident, but they don't take away from the enjoyment of the show. I'm a stickler for visual perfection, but I can accept these as they are as I've waited SO LONG for this series to be released. Visually, on a scale of 1-4, I'd give it a 3. The annoying Worldvision logo isn't present on any of the season one episodes.
The original mono audio sounds very good as I play these through my surround sound system, There is some occasional short lived audio muddiness in some episodes, but not annoyingly so. I'd give the audio a 3 also.
I think you will enjoy the writing in these episodes and also the early appearances of many famous stars.
Lets hope CBS releases all 5 seasons of Ben Casey.

John

Thank you, John, for the well-wishes for my son (he's doing very well now), and for the further impressions of the Ben Casey S1 set. A transfer quality of "3" is good enough for me...I know some were disappointed that the prints used for Warner Archive's Mr. Novak set weren't remastered, for example, but that one looks pretty dang good to me, especially when watched on a 50" TV screen.

Mostly, I'm just pleased to see another older series like Ben Casey - a grail show for many, including yourself - be released. The fact that Vince Edwards' character is notoriously grumpy makes the series rather appealing to me, too... I hope we do indeed see the rest of it released sooner rather than later.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
The Big Valley
"Run of the Savage" (S3E25)

I could claim to be an absolute purist and declare that the only true classic TV are those shows filmed in black and white. But then, I'd incur the wrath of many in this thread. And rightly so. With that in mind, and to show my good faith and genial disposition, I'm doing this commentary on a perfectly colorful series. I'll also add that I sincerely believe that the theme song to The Big Valley is on par of that of The Virginian--both with that sweepingly majestic orchestration that lay the foundation that you're about to watch something of almost mystic quality. In color.

The Barkley Ranch has been missing stuff--stolen by an unknown someone. Nick Barkley (Peter Breck) has a theory that people with a lower ear line to that of their eyes are inherent criminals. He states they should be looking for someone of that ilk. Unlike brother Jarrod (Richard Long), Nick did not attend law school so we can assume a certain simpleton aspect to his views.

Nick runs into brash young Danny Wiggins (Michael Burns) in the town bar. Danny's decked out like a mini-me Paladin with a humility level similar to that of the Trump family. Nick, sort of a bad boy himself, takes a shining to the lad. The feeling isn't mutual. Seems that Danny is estranged from his half-Indian family and therefore has a chip on his shoulder the size of a fireplace log. He hates everyone.

upload_2019-11-6_9-43-35.jpeg
upload_2019-11-6_9-43-50.jpeg
upload_2019-11-6_9-45-9.jpeg

We're to believe this kid is half-Indian: Danny and Nick discuss cave menu selections; Jarrod gets a whiff of the cave's interior

A rash of thievery has been occurring in town, according to the sheriff. Low-eared criminals on the loose? It's the last straw for Nick when his favorite saddle is stolen right off his horse. Damn--it was perfectly butt broken-in, too. Going searching for it, he gets hoodwinked by Danny and ends tied-up in a musty, rickety cave. It's where Danny keeps all the stuff he's stolen from townsfolk and the Barkleys. Cave-bound, Danny and Nick share a nice cauldron of beans--not exactly the preferred entree when in such an enclosed space. Intestinal gas production could well bring down the already crumbling cave. Bits and pieces are already coming loose. Danny ransoms Nick for the astounding sum of $5,000. The Barkleys are going to have to cash in their 401K to choke up the money. Victoria (Barbara Stanwyck) is all for paying off the kidnapper, but Jarrod and Heath say no. By God, they're gonna find out who took Nick and beat the livin' snot out of them.

Meanwhile, the cave finally loses its tenuous grip on gravity, unleashing a voluminous dirt and timber shower on Nick and Danny-- trapping them. Jarrod, Heath and Victoria (who, for some reason, is dressed like a CHPs motorcycle cop) are roaming the countryside looking for Nick. Do they get to him on time? Does Danny come to his senses? Does Nick ever find his favorite saddle? It all takes place in living color, folks.

Notes:
I best remember Michael Burns as one of James Stewart's kids in 1962's Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation. Like most child actors, Burns left the craft and became a highly recognized PH.D. college history professor and published author. Well, maybe not like most...

I'm always taken aback by the interior of the Barkley Ranch mansion--which is remarkably similar to that of an 18th century Paris bordello. It makes me wonder if Victoria Barkley has some less-than-above-board plans for lovely Audra (Linda Evans). There's money to be made from all those horny ranch hands floating around Stockton, California...

upload_2019-11-6_10-10-6.jpeg

Pretty sure cowboys would pay for a shot at this

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm still stretching the boundaries of what constitutes "Classic TV" with Doc Martin so take your "true classic TV are those shows filmed in black and white" only trash off my lawn, Russ!! ;)

I'm on the last episode of S5 with this one. It's been a very good show so far with many interesting characters. Kind of like with programs like Murder She Wrote and Barnaby Jones you wonder just how many people *truly* get ill enough to visit the local doctor enough in a village this small to make his practice viable. His office is almost always full of patients, many of which have truly obscure illnesses. Yet Doc Martin *always* gets the diagnosis after observing them for a minute or two (or even less). People come and go, semi regular characters and one-offs, very organically.

While talking with a resident on the street someone walks by:
"You! Yes, you! You're walking with a limp and your left arm isn't swinging properly. Let me see your tongue! Just as I thought! You have (insert obscure illness name) and need to
A. come to my surgery tomorrow so I can examine you better
B. immediately go to hospital and tell them you have (obscure illness) and need a (fancy name) test"

The local chemist (pharmacist to us US folks) has a crush on him and always wears a neck brace (which is the main plot of one episode). You wonder why people would visit a restaurant run by the former plumber (who's had several money making schemes make the townsfolk sick). OK... maybe not - but just *who's* the plumber now? This is a community where many professions seem to have a single supplier with the business having gone from "father to son" for decades. The school appears to have 20-30 kids per grade (if that many). Tourists seem to come to town on Holiday (and you wonder why as there are no quality swimming beaches or high falutin' restaurants/stores). Oh... it's to add more odd illnesses!

And just how do they drive on those narrow roads? I mean, there's *no* room to pass - either direction - with the "road" only a few feet wider than most vehicles. The "street" in front of Doc Martin's practice/house has a wall on one side and shrubbery on the other. If two cars were to meet one would have to back up. And it's a hilly, curvy, street. I've yet to see any "one way" signs so have to think they're all two-way streets. At one point I wondered just how he could keep replacing the air bags in his car as he'd been run off the road and had them deploy so often - and he doesn't drive any old "cheap" car but a Mercedes (at least I think that's what it is - haven't really look *that* closely but know it's an expensive car). Just where do you go locally to get *that* repaired?

An event I was dreading (having seen photos on the disc cases) has occurred. They've added a baby. Something that's generally, at least in the US, a true show killer and a sign that the writers have run out of ideas. But wait! It actually works! How's that possible?!? So far the kid doesn't detract from the show at all and has created a couple of very good episodes based partially on the kid. In fact the kid plays into the base continuing story and looks to be rather pivotal in its resolution. And doesn't detract. I still can't quite get over that. I'm just hoping that as the kid ages it continues to be a non-issue.

And I'm about to run out of episodes as I've only purchased up through S6. S7+ haven't yet dropped to my sweet spot for price.

**EDIT**
No sooner had I typed the price bit and suddenly several copies of S7 at prices I'll take (~$8) popped up. Copy ordered...

My 16yo grandson came in last night while I was watching an episode - saw Clunes on the screen and said "Wow! Those are some spectacular ears!"

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I'm still stretching the boundaries of what constitutes "Classic TV" with Doc Martin so take your "true classic TV are those shows filmed in black and white" only trash off my lawn, Russ!! ;)

Very true-- a classic, to me, is any show that has had great acting, music, production values, the works (even if it's in color).

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Episode Commentary
The Big Valley
"Run of the Savage" (S3E25)

I could claim to be an absolute purist and declare that the only true classic TV are those shows filmed in black and white. But then, I'd incur the wrath of many in this thread. And rightly so. With that in mind, and to show my good faith and genial disposition, I'm doing this commentary on a perfectly colorful series. I'll also add that I sincerely believe that the theme song to The Big Valley is on par of that of The Virginian--both with that sweepingly majestic orchestration that lay the foundation that you're about to watch something of almost mystic quality. In color.

The Barkley Ranch has been missing stuff--stolen by an unknown someone. Nick Barkley (Peter Breck) has a theory that people with a lower ear line to that of their eyes are inherent criminals. He states they should be looking for someone of that ilk. Unlike brother Jarrod (Richard Long), Nick did not attend law school so we can assume a certain simpleton aspect to his views.

Nick runs into brash young Danny Wiggins (Michael Burns) in the town bar. Danny's decked out like a mini-me Paladin with a humility level similar to that of the Trump family. Nick, sort of a bad boy himself, takes a shining to the lad. The feeling isn't mutual. Seems that Danny is estranged from his half-Indian family and therefore has a chip on his shoulder the size of a fireplace log. He hates everyone.

View attachment 64826 View attachment 64827 View attachment 64828
We're to believe this kid is half-Indian: Danny and Nick discuss cave menu selections; Jarrod gets a whiff of the cave's interior

A rash of thievery has been occurring in town, according to the sheriff. Low-eared criminals on the loose? It's the last straw for Nick when his favorite saddle is stolen right off his horse. Damn--it was perfectly butt broken-in, too. Going searching for it, he gets hoodwinked by Danny and ends tied-up in a musty, rickety cave. It's where Danny keeps all the stuff he's stolen from townsfolk and the Barkleys. Cave-bound, Danny and Nick share a nice cauldron of beans--not exactly the preferred entree when in such an enclosed space. Intestinal gas production could well bring down the already crumbling cave. Bits and pieces are already coming loose. Danny ransoms Nick for the astounding sum of $5,000. The Barkleys are going to have to cash in their 401K to choke up the money. Victoria (Barbara Stanwyck) is all for paying off the kidnapper, but Jarrod and Heath say no. By God, they're gonna find out who took Nick and beat the livin' snot out of them.

Meanwhile, the cave finally loses its tenuous grip on gravity, unleashing a voluminous dirt and timber shower on Nick and Danny-- trapping them. Jarrod, Heath and Victoria (who, for some reason, is dressed like a CHPs motorcycle cop) are roaming the countryside looking for Nick. Do they get to him on time? Does Danny come to his senses? Does Nick ever find his favorite saddle? It all takes place in living color, folks.

Notes:
I best remember Michael Burns as one of James Stewart's kids in 1962's Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation. Like most child actors, Burns left the craft and became a highly recognized PH.D. college history professor and published author. Well, maybe not like most...

I'm always taken aback by the interior of the Barkley Ranch mansion--which is remarkably similar to that of an 18th century Paris bordello. It makes me wonder if Victoria Barkley has some less-than-above-board plans for lovely Audra (Linda Evans). There's money to be made from all those horny ranch hands floating around Stockton, California...

View attachment 64829
Pretty sure cowboys would pay for a shot at this

Nice review, Russ...and good to see you giving a color show a chance for a change...;) I was somewhat lukewarm to The Big Valley growing up, but I think it's a pretty terrific late period family western now. That said, this doesn't sound like one of the show's better episodes. Hopefully Nick beats the snot out of that thieving punk kid at some point...

And yes, Linda Evans was at her cutest on the show.

Big_Valley_190906_11_g6q2a5ufqn

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
My 16yo grandson came in last night while I was watching an episode - saw Clunes on the screen and said "Wow! Those are some spectacular ears!"

Glad you've been enjoying Doc Martin, Howie! And I agree with your grandson...Martin Clunes' ears are quite a sight to behold...somewhat akin to Karl Malden's schnozz. Saw Clunes recently host the long-running comedy quiz show Have I Got News For You. He was very funny and sharp.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Yeah Howie, I hear you. I knew when I wrote that line about "black & white TV being the real classics, I'd catch hell. Which is why I did a commentary on The Big Valley--a color episode that aired in 1968 when I was practically on Medicare. Well, not really. But I understand that "classic" is in the nostalgic eye of the watcher. If you have great memories of a show, who cares when it aired?

I'm unfortunately unfamiliar with many of the shows that are rolled out on this thread. In the 1980's, I was running an ad agency and had no time for current TV at that time. I was dealing with CEOs who thought that a "successful" ad could only be one that their wife liked. Creativity or effectiveness by damned--dispiriting to say the least. My only solace was old TV shows that reminded me of simpler times in my life. Just hearing the opening refrain from the syndicated Jeff's Collie made me sink happily into my chair and forget about deadlines, market research and focus groups. A martini or two helped. Okay, maybe three.

Nice review, Russ...and good to see you giving a color show a chance for a change...;)
Oh, I'll run a color episode of something later than the 18th century up the flagpole every now and again, but mostly still stay within my comfort zone of monochromatic stuff that my grown kids refer to as "Dad's old crap".

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Leave It To Beaver
"Teacher Comes To Dinner" (S3E9)

As the family enjoys breakfast one morning (yeah, families actually practiced that in the old days), Beaver extols the virtues of his new teacher, Miss Landers (Sue Randall). "She's the neatest teacher in the whole school", burbles Beaver excitedly. As a result, June (Barbara Billingsley) gets a bee in her bonnet to invite the teacher to dinner. This affords Ward an off-the-wall memory of his own mother inviting his math teacher to dinner who, afterwards, sang "I'm Just Wild About Harry". Ward obviously came from a progressive family.

Beaver is blissfully unaware that June has extended an invitation Miss Landers, and although he likes his teacher--having her over to dinner is just creepy. Why, it's written in the "Parents Are Stupid" Handbook for Dummies, for gosh sakes. Once Beaver is apprised of the upcoming event, he desperately needs to keep this a secret from his friends. Although Miss Landers is a pretty, even-keeled young lady with unlimited patience for a classroom populated by snotty spoiled suburban kids, having dinner with one of their families is just verboten. As for Miss Landers, an offer to dinner out is the high point of her week, not to mention that she probably earns about $312 a year.

upload_2019-11-8_9-53-36.jpeg
upload_2019-11-8_9-57-33.jpeg
images

Ward accidently farts and draws attention; The boys concoct a spying plan; June explains condom usage to the guys

Meanwhile, Beaver's chums Larry (Rusty Stevens), Whitey (Stanley Fafara) and Gilbert (Stephen Talbot) learn of the impending dinner. Spying on the event is right up there with catching a glimpse of dad's current issue of Playboy. A plan is hatched.
Nervous Beaver checks June's food prep, making sure the beet and sour cream salad is properly chilled so that Miss Randall doesn't get "toenail poisoning".
Ward (Hugh Beaumont) is in charge of grilling. Beaver beseeches him not to use "those bad words" if he burns something, and avoid wearing the BBQ apron that depicts a cow being chased by a crazed cleaver-wielding butcher.

Dinner is finally served on the patio. I didn't see any cocktails being offered beforehand, so I imagine dinner conversation was going to be fairly pedestrian. "Isn't it true that Andrew Johnson was the only President to get impeached?" Wally bravely asks Miss Landers, just to get things started. As dinner is being cleared away afterwards, Beaver and Miss Landers spot Larry, Gilbert and Whitey hiding in a tree overlooking the patio. The boys were hoping to get a peek at Miss Landers perhaps firing up a stinky cigarette after dessert. She calls the boys down from the tree, but like a swell person refrains from tattling on them to the rest of the family. The boys are overjoyed, mainly because she's wearing open-toed shoes--which is being practically naked in their innocent eyes.

Notes:
After his stint as Whitey on the series, Stanely Fafara's prospects had dwindled and he began hanging around with the band Paul Revere and the Raiders, eventually getting hooked on heroine. Fafara had been living in a single-room occupancy building in Portland’s skid row, paying $153 a month for his 12-by-12 room out of his Social Security disability check of $475 a month.
“My life was a blessing and a curse,” Fafara said in an interview. “At one time I had money...there were times when I’d walk around with $16,000 in my pocket. Drugs, money, women. I got all of them because I was Whitey.”

upload_2019-11-8_10-10-37.jpeg

Stanley died in 2003 at age 54 from hernia operation complications

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Sue Randall (aka Miss Landers) - another good reason to watch Leave it to Beaver.

Seen here with Edd Byrnes (aka Kookie from 77 Sunset Strip):

"Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)" (OK... she didn't sing the song but that's got to be going through her head)

Edd_Byrnes_Kookie_Sue_Randall_77_Sunset_Strip_1964.JPG

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I've been splitting my time between S2 of I Dream of Jeannie and the complete series of Hogan's Heroes. Jeannie in the afternoon on Vudu, streaming free with ads, and my DVD's of Hogan in the evening that I bought several years ago.

This is the first time in a while that I've watched IDOJ in depth. I have S1 on DVD, but for some odd reason, I bought it colorized and, frankly, I have a hard time watching it. Vudu was streaming S3 a while back, but I never finished watching it and got caught up with other stuff. It's still hilarious. The hair-brained schemes that Jeannie cooks up are beyond ridiculous. Poor Dr. Bellows and poor Major Nelson. Roger, on the other hand, wants so bad to just borrow Jeannie so he can get a wish. I'll keep it G rated, but I have to wonder what Roger is wishing for with his wish! We know that Major Nelson lost his mind due to Jeannie's continuous mayhem, wandered off to Texas, and somehow struck it big in oil, but he sure had a personality change! If only Dr. Bellows could have found him...

On to the lovable POW's! I just started S5 last night. Perhaps it picks back up, but it seems to have started "going south" towards the tail end of S4. Mind you, I'd still rather watch it than most anything "new," and the "worst" episode will beat out anything on TV today for me. The one thing I noticed is how the same guest stars keep coming back. Noam Pitlik has been in 3 episodes so far. Once in the black and white pilot as a spy, then again as an airman who was shot down and was quickly brought in by our boys, and then as German soldier who wanted to defect. Gavin MacLeod has been on, I think, 3 episodes so far. He is a great actor in almost anything, but his portrayal of German officers is a bit over the top. John Denher pops up 2 or 3 times. You see quite a few actors playing bit parts that appeared in other 60's series as well. It's one of those shows that, as an adult, you have to take with a grain of salt. I know the point was to make the Nazis look stupid and buffoonish, and they do that quite well, but you also know that anyone with a modicum of sense would know Hogan and crew were behind all of these acts of sabotage.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've been splitting my time between S2 of I Dream of Jeannie and the complete series of Hogan's Heroes. Jeannie in the afternoon on Vudu, streaming free with ads, and my DVD's of Hogan in the evening that I bought several years ago.

This is the first time in a while that I've watched IDOJ in depth. I have S1 on DVD, but for some odd reason, I bought it colorized and, frankly, I have a hard time watching it. Vudu was streaming S3 a while back, but I never finished watching it and got caught up with other stuff. It's still hilarious. The hair-brained schemes that Jeannie cooks up are beyond ridiculous. Poor Dr. Bellows and poor Major Nelson. Roger, on the other hand, wants so bad to just borrow Jeannie so he can get a wish. I'll keep it G rated, but I have to wonder what Roger is wishing for with his wish! We know that Major Nelson lost his mind due to Jeannie's continuous mayhem, wandered off to Texas, and somehow struck it big in oil, but he sure had a personality change! If only Dr. Bellows could have found him...

On to the lovable POW's! I just started S5 last night. Perhaps it picks back up, but it seems to have started "going south" towards the tail end of S4. Mind you, I'd still rather watch it than most anything "new," and the "worst" episode will beat out anything on TV today for me. The one thing I noticed is how the same guest stars keep coming back. Noam Pitlik has been in 3 episodes so far. Once in the black and white pilot as a spy, then again as an airman who was shot down and was quickly brought in by our boys, and then as German soldier who wanted to defect. Gavin MacLeod has been on, I think, 3 episodes so far. He is a great actor in almost anything, but his portrayal of German officers is a bit over the top. John Denher pops up 2 or 3 times. You see quite a few actors playing bit parts that appeared in other 60's series as well. It's one of those shows that, as an adult, you have to take with a grain of salt. I know the point was to make the Nazis look stupid and buffoonish, and they do that quite well, but you also know that anyone with a modicum of sense would know Hogan and crew were behind all of these acts of sabotage.
When I purchased IDOJ and Bewitched I agonized over getting the colorized (which I typically do not like) or BW versions of those BW seasons. I opted for the colorized with the thinking that I'd just turn the color off to watch and still had the colorized for anyone who just absolutely refused to watch a BW program. That turned out to be such a pain to implement that I'd just watch the colorized version and stew about how bad it looks. A couple of years back I fixed that by finally replacing those colorized seasons with the BW so I can watch and enjoy the programs.

*Love* Hogan's Heroes!

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
When I purchased IDOJ and Bewitched I agonized over getting the colorized (which I typically do not like) or BW versions of those BW seasons. I opted for the colorized with the thinking that I'd just turn the color off to watch and still had the colorized for anyone who just absolutely refused to watch a BW program. That turned out to be such a pain to implement that I'd just watch the colorized version and stew about how bad it looks. A couple of years back I fixed that by finally replacing those colorized seasons with the BW so I can watch and enjoy the programs.

Why was it so difficult to turn off the color on those colorized Jeannie and Bewitched releases?

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Sue Randall (aka Miss Landers) - another good reason to watch Leave it to Beaver.

Seen here with Edd Byrnes (aka Kookie from 77 Sunset Strip):

"Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)" (OK... she didn't sing the song but that's got to be going through her head)

Edd_Byrnes_Kookie_Sue_Randall_77_Sunset_Strip_1964.JPG
Ahhh, Howie! You're starting to play in my sandbox now! Love it!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Why was it so difficult to turn off the color on those colorized Jeannie and Bewitched releases?
Not difficult - just a pain. Go into the TV menu, select the color controls, select color saturation, run the color all the way down, press exit/exit/exit. Watch a few eps. Want to watch a color show/movie? Back into the menu, select the color controls, select color saturation, restore the color to the correct setting, press exit/exit/exit. The TV I had at the time had no option to save custom settings so this had to be done every time. It also had no numerical indicators - just a segmented bar so I had to remember exactly where on the bar I had the color saturation set. I had the player connected with component cables so could have just disconnected the color signals but the way things were in the cabinet that was more of a pain than using the menu method.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
They say that laughter is the best medicine and Dr. Norman Cousins did some groundbreaking work that supported that claim. It's easy to get caught up in the accumulation side of this hobby so when I realized that there were a lot of older comedy shows (50's-70's) that I hadn't watched for six months or longer I decided to methodically go through and watch an episode of each show. Along the way one thing became apparent, overall the older comedies were more enjoyable than newer ones. The combination of a nostalgic connection, strong moral themes, and total lack sleaziness and raunchiness added up to a totally enjoyable experience that always put me in a good mood. After every single episode I said to myself I need to watch that show more often. Every single show on this list was a treat to watch but The Patty Duke show was probably my favorite which I wouldn't have guessed ahead of time.

Get Smart 1.8 The Day Smart Turned Chicken IMDB rating 8.1
This show was a must have for me and was an early purchase in my collection. Like all of the shows on this list watching this show after a six month pause really made it seem fresh again. I've read some comments by people that say this show doesn't hold up well but I don't agree, the combination of physical comedy, one liners, and the espionage theme add up to a very enjoyable way to spend 25 minutes and the Cone of Silence is one of my all time favorite scenes from a sitcom.
Quotes:
Mrs. Dawson: Do you know what time it is, Mr. Smart?
Maxwell Smart: [thinking she has a sprained ankle] Yes, but I knew that you'd still be up with your ankle.
Mrs. Dawson: I'm rarely up without it.
Maxwell Smart: Now eh, I hope you didn't have to walk all the way to the door.
Mrs. Dawson: No, I took a bus from the living room.
Plot from IMDB Because Smart is a witness at a trial, KAOS is trying to prove that he is crazy.

The Doris Day Show 1.16 The Clock IMDB 5.8
One word to describe Doris Day would be Wholesome. Definitely no sleaziness or raunchiness in this episode which also included some great physical comedy.
Plot from IMDB Doris is losing sleep over a gift from LeRoy.

SCTV Volume 2 CCCP chapters 1-9
This is one show that consistently makes me laugh out loud. Sometimes I'll start laughing just thinking about a skit from the show. The DVD sets for this show are 90 minute episodes so to make it like a sit com I decided to stop at the chapter stop closest to the 22 minute mark. With the DVD sets that I own that makes about 87 episodes to watch. The Great White North and Tony Bennett "I'm Still Alive tour" were hilarious.

Welcome Back Kotter 2.2 Inherit the Halibut IMDB 7.1
For some reason the exterior opening and closing scenes of this show remind me of growing up, similar to the original opening scene of The Bob Newhart Show. The Sweathogs were quite talented and make this show very fun to watch. In this episode when the money from the class fund disappears they learn that someone is innocent until proven guilty.
Quotes:
Kotter as Washington's defense attorney: "when you walk through the cow pasture of facts, you're bound to step in some truth!"
Plot from IMDB When the Sweathogs' treasury money is stolen, all fingers point to Washington who has just purchased a new bike.

Happy Days 2.8 Not with My Sister You Don't IMDB rating 8.0
The combination of a great cast, great writing, and great concept make this show a winner. It always makes me smile and leaves me feeling good by the end and sometimes makes me laugh pretty hard. This episode spotlights Joanie played by Erin Moran as she goes on her first date and I was struck by how adorable she was in the early seasons. The Funniest scene of this episode was when Marion Gives Joanie the talk before her big date with Spike.
Quotes
Arthur 'Fonzie' Fonzarelli: You know what your problem is, Richie?
Richie Cunningham: I'd like to know, Fonzie.
Arthur 'Fonzie' Fonzarelli: You're a nice guy.
Richie Cunningham: And nice guys finish last.
Arthur 'Fonzie' Fonzarelli: Hey, hey, not necessarily, huh? You just gotta work your tail off to get up there in the top three, that's all.
Plot from IMDB When 12-year-old Joanie Cunningham is invited by Fonzie's leather-clad nephew, Spike, to go to a movie on her first real date, her parents and big brother Richie do what they do best ...worry!

The Munsters 1.3 A Walk on the Mild Side IMDB rating 7.7
A great show to watch on Halloween. Herman's facial expressions and the way he walks crack me up. It's always funny how from their perspective the Munsters think they're the normal ones. In this episode it never occurs to Herman that he's the monster in the park.
Quotes:
Herman Munster: By the way, what time is it?
The Raven: [shrieks] At the tone, it will be later than you think, ne'er more.
Herman Munster: I had no idea it was that late.
Plot from IMDB
Herman is taking short walks at the park during the night, as a remedy to his stress and insomnia. When other walkers see him, they are scared, telling the police that a monster is free at the park, along with a dangerous thief.

Here's Lucy 1.15 Lucy and the Ex-Con IMDB 7,2
I took some heat for listing The Lucy Show as one of my top five comedies of the sixties but there's no accounting for personal taste and really there's no wrong answer. Here's Lucy is one of my top 5 comedies from the 70's and this episode was hilarious. MPI has done an outstanding job with these DVDs with excellent picture and sound quality and intros by actual cast members. I enjoy watching all of the famous guest stars that appear on this show and Wally Cox (Underdog) guest stars in this episode. He and Lucy do really well together especially when they go undercover in the bar scene.
Plot from IMDB Lucy goes undercover as an old lady to catch the crook of a robbery she may have caused.

Gomer Pyle 2.9 The Grudge Match IMDB 7.3
This show was a mainstay growing up and it still holds up very well in a timeless sort of way. I like how Gomer always tries to do the right thing but in this episode he has to bend that rule a little to try and keep Sgt. Carter from getting mauled in a boxing match.
Plot from IMDB Part 3 of Sea Maneuvers, has Carter challenging the Petty Chief Officer to a boxing match not knowing the Chief was the Fleet Champ with 37 knockouts.

The Patty Duke Show 1.25 The Perfect Teenager IMDB 8.2

The thing that I like to focus on when watching this show is Patty Duke's youthful enthusiasm and how she never gives up. It's fun to see how she get's out of impossible situations. This episode also featured some scenes that had me laughing out loud.
Plot from IMDB Patty takes a test in a magazine to see how good of a teenager she is. Her self-confidence plummets when she fails the test, so she decides to take a modeling class to try to regain her confidence.

Mister Ed 1.20 A Man for Velma IMDB 7.8
A talking horse is kind of a far out concept but the show is done so well that I really enjoy watching it. They make it easy to suspend disbelief that a horse could talk and just settle in and watch what always turns out to be a very entertaining episode. In this one they didn't show Ed dialing the phone to call the interim cook to act like her boyfriend and it took me completely by surprise.
Plot from IMDB Carol has sprained her wrist, so Wilbur hires Velma, a fantastic cook. She even serves carrot pizzas to Ed. When Velma announces that she's leaving to find a boyfriend, Ed calls her on the phone and pretends to be a local secret admirer.

Green Acres 1.9 You Can't Plug in a 2 with a 6 IMDB 7.9
This show mirrors my own situation in some ways so it's easy to relate to. Watching it on Antenna TV just isn't the same as watching the DVD, it's almost like watching two different shows. I usually try to focus on different things with each show and with Green Acres I try to look past the zaniness and think about how the characters are a lot like people in rural areas only amplified.
Quotes: Fred Ziffel: [advising Oliver what to plant] Mr. Douglas, take the advice of a man who's been farming for 40 years. Don't fly in the face of Doris' lumbago.
Plot from IMDB Oliver plants crops using a bizarre country formula. Lisa can't grasp the principal of electricity.

Hazel 2.3 We've Been So Happy Till Now IMDB 7.8
It was exciting to finally get all five seasons of this early 60's gem. Shirley Booth seems perfectly cast as Hazel whose boundless enthusiasm and down to earth approach to solving life's problems make this this show endearing. Even though she's just a maid she never backs down even winning over George's wealthy clients.
Plot from IMDB George & Dorothy get into a squabble, and Hazel helps patch things up.

I Dream of Jeannie 1.7 Anybody Here Seen Jeannie? IMDB 7.6

Two things that make this show so good are the on screen chemistry between Larry Hagman and Barbara Eden and it's complete unpredictability. You never know what Jeannie is going to do next, sometimes her antics works to Major Nelson's benefit and sometimes it really puts him in a jam. Quite often your not quite sure right up to the end if things will turn out OK or not. In this episode it was pretty comical when Jeannie was messing up the results of Major Nelson's physical exam being given by Dr. Bellows.
Plot from IMDB Jeannie sabotages Tony's tests prior to his launch because she doesn't want him breaking his tether on a spacewalk and being lost in space.

Family Affair 1.5 Marmalade IMDB 8.1
This show was one of two family oriented shows produced by Don Fedderson in the sixties. Both featuring prominent actors from the silver screen playing single fathers that are engineers by profession. This episode spotlights Mr. French played by the talented Sabastian Cabot who shows us in the end that it's better to maintain your integrity than sell out.
Plot from IMDB An acquaintance of Bill's hires Mr. French to appear in an ad for marmalade that her advertising company is promoting.

The Phil Silvers Show 1.5 A.W.O.L. IMDB 7.9
When talking about comedies from the 50's most non-enthusiasts are usually familiar with shows like I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, Leave it to Beaver, and Father Knows Best but I sometimes think that this great show doesn't get the credit it deserves. I always look forward to this show because you never know what's going to happen. Bilko, the consummate con man, always commands my undivided attention waiting to see how he talks his way out of his current predicament. The highlight of this episode was watching Bilko dancing and mixing it up with the family of his AWOL private just like he had known them his whole life.
Plot from IMDB Sgt Bilko is sent to Chicago to bring back one of his AWOL privates who has gone home to take care of urgent family business. Bilko becomes embroiled in a feud between two Hungarian families and needs all his guile and personal skills to save the situation

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
They say that laughter is the best medicine and Dr. Norman Cousins did some groundbreaking work that supported that claim. It's easy to get caught up in the accumulation side of this hobby so when I realized that there were a lot of older comedy shows (50's-70's) that I hadn't watched for six months or longer I decided to methodically go through and watch an episode of each show. Along the way one thing became apparent, overall the older comedies were more enjoyable than newer ones. The combination of a nostalgic connection, strong moral themes, and total lack sleaziness and raunchiness added up to a totally enjoyable experience that always put me in a good mood. After every single episode I said to myself I need to watch that show more often. Every single show on this list was a treat to watch but The Patty Duke show was probably my favorite which I wouldn't have guessed ahead of time.

That's a great run of sitcoms, Steve! Good to see you back posting in this thread...keep it up! I plan on picking up season 1 of The Patty Duke Show at some point, and possibly the complete series of Bilko (I have the 50th Anniversary set, but that only has 18 episodes). I snagged Mill Creek's complete series set of I Dream of Jeannie this past summer, and look forward to slowly working my way through that. I also got The Best of Mr. Ed Volume 2 (Volume 1 is OOP and overpriced) and the first two seasons of Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. Slowly but surely, my classic sitcom collection is growing...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks