1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 28, 2015.

1. morasp

morasp Second Unit

steve
    All of the shows you mention are highly recommended, I don't think you'll be disappointed. On the surface comedies don't seem like as good of value per episode as a drama, 25 minutes compared to 44-50 minutes, but a lot of times I don't want to sit down for a full hour but I usually always have a half hour.

2. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I remember long ago seeing Doris Day on the Johnny Carson show. She was an eye-opener, as one can see....

[​IMG]

Somehow this pointedly stuck in my mind. I have no idea why...

3. Message #3063 of 3198 Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    morasp

morasp Second Unit

steve
    The Brady Bunch 1.4 Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. IMDB 7.0
    Quotes:

Bobby Brady: [as Alice is packing] If you're going to miss us why are you going
    Alice Nelson: Because I have to.
    Cindy Brady: Who says?
    Greg Brady: Mom told you, dummy! She has to go to Seattle.
    Cindy Brady: Do you like Attle better than us?
    Alice Nelson: What?
    Cindy Brady: They said you were going to see Attle
    Greg Brady: No! Seattle's a *place*. Like Mississippi.
    Cindy Brady: Mrs. who?
    [Greg rolls his eyes]
    Plot from IMDB Alice doesn't think the boys need her as much anymore now that Carol is in the house--so she announces that she is leaving.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  4. John*Wells

John*Wells Screenwriter

John
    Murder One. Season 1

Jeff Flugel and morasp like this.
  5. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I just want to know how Carson is keeping his eyes elevated...

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  6. Message #3066 of 3198 Nov 11, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Probably not the only thing elevated.
    When this aired, Doris had achieved that perfect "cougar" age in life. Voluptuous maturity and confidence in her attractiveness.

Jeff Flugel and BobO'Link like this.
  7. Message #3067 of 3198 Nov 11, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    That entire interview with Day is on youtube - and Amazon (right now it's free to purchase) has an edited show version (~30 minutes) where you'll also see Rodney Dangerfield and Carol Wayne (who appears to be filling in for Ed). Unfortunately, the Doris Day segment was cut. There's about another 10 minutes after a commercial break that's been removed. Carol Wayne looks somewhat jealous of Day (and she should as Day is the better looking one here - and shows it more) with only gratuitous applause and somewhat condescending type comments (when she's allowed to talk).

In the unedited show (on youtube) Wayne is briefly part of the Day interview. Day had just finished describing how much she loves animals when Wayne interrupts to say she doesn't care for animals. Carson asks her why and she responds: "I don't want anything to lick me that's not going to marry me." The look Day gives her is priceless. Something of a "Who let this tramp on the show with me?" kind of look.

The video quality is much better at Amazon but the entire interview is worth watching - especially if you're a Doris Day fan. She also happens to have been in Les Paul's band with one of the Tonight Show band members, says his name, recognizes he's in the band, and they have a brief chat of sorts.

**EDIT**
    She was 52 at the time of this interview. Think about that as you watch her and the way she keeps adjusting her top (and appears to know how she looks - watch the first 30 seconds - she's looking at a monitor while apparently adjusting her top for maximum exposure).

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  8. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Yeah, Doris knew EXACTLY how good she looked. And so did we.

Ron1973, Flashgear and BobO'Link like this.
  9. Message #3069 of 3198 Nov 11, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    He's a professional! ;) Always found Doris a very attractive lady, despite her sometimes unflattering hairdo and supposedly "perpetual virgin" image. She rips it up in Love Me or Leave Me as more of a "bad girl" type.

[​IMG]

bmasters9, Flashgear and BobO'Link like this.
  10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I liked how just before the commercial break she asks Carson "What are you looking at?" as she's obviously noticed he's not paying good attention to her and looking off a bit. Of course she wasn't referring to her top (and I never caught his eyes wavering that direction even for a split second). I also liked her reaction when he showed her what was going on with the cues he was receiving.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  11. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    upload_2019-11-11_17-0-26.

started the first season on Thursday and working my way through, very cerebral in the first 10 or so episodes

12. Message #3072 of 3198 Nov 11, 2019
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    A ways back in my review of Boris Karloff Thriller, Hay Fork and Bill Hook, I made mention of discovering some very interesting info about character actor Allan Caillou, and seeing that it is November 11th, I thought I would post it today...I hope you guys find it as delightfully interesting as I did in discovering it...

Alan Caillou with Audrey Dalton and Kenneth Haigh as seen in Thriller season one, Hay Fork and Bill Hook...
    Hay Fork 16.JPG

From a number of sources, I discovered that Caillou (French for pebble), was not just his stage name, but a fabled Nom de Guerre (an alias taken during wartime), he was born Allan Lyle-Smythe in 1914 at Surrey England. He graduated Oxford and enlisted in the Palestine Police Force in 1936, learning fluent Arabic and rising to a senior rank, being awarded the coveted M.B.E. He enlisted in the British Army in 1940, and because of his Arabic fluency, he was assigned to the Intelligence Corps...being sent into the Western Desert of the Libyan and Egyptian frontier to masquerade as an Arab and spy on the Italian and German army commanded by General Rommel, who by September 1942 were only 80 miles from Cairo...the Battle of El Alamein was in the near future...on the dark night of September 12th, the elite British troops of the S.A.S. (Special Air Service) and LRDG (Long Range Desert Group) were in the Sahara just south of Benghazi and Tobruk, about to mount raids on both targets (The Rock Hudson, George Peppard 1967 war film Tobruk is based on this operation)...both raids would end in bloody chaos, as described in previous histories and the recent best selling book by Ben MacIntyre Rogue Heroes...
    [​IMG]

Just by chance I have this book...on page 176 you read this:
    Quote Pleydell (SAS surgeon and chief medic) returned to his jeep to get more supplies and was astonished to see a complete stranger rise up out of the darkness, a man dressed in the costume of a rural gentleman out for a ramble in the English countryside. The figure was wearing a checked tweed jacket and plus fours (formal golfing attire, short pants 4 inches below the knee, worn with high socks), and carrying a knobby walking stick. His face was adorned with a magnificent jutting beard and mustache. The tweedy apparition addressed Pleydell in a very superior Oxford accent if he had seen SAS commander Colonel David Stirling around here recently...Pleydell was momentarily stunned by the sheer weirdness of the situation. They were standing on the edge of a desert cliff, in the middle of the night, with a major battle about to take place a few miles away, and a man who looked uncannily like George Bernard Shaw and spoke like King George VI had suddenly materialized from nowhere. Who are you Pleydell demanded, the stranger replying that his name was Farmer and that he worked around here...he needed to warn Colonel Stirling and the SAS that the Germans were waiting in ambush!

Farmers real name was Alan Lyle-Smythe, alias Caillou, policeman, actor, writer, and, at the moment, secret agent of the British Intelligence Corps! He was responsible for the very dangerous job of gathering information behind enemy lines...Lyle-Smythe was remarkably fearless, and wildly eccentric. A few months after bumping into Pleydell with his warning in the desert, he would be captured, sentenced to death by firing squad, and incarcerated in a POW camp, from which he then escaped!

On the evening of September 13 1942, Allan Lyle-Smythe, alias Caillou, alias Farmer, had set out in his tweeds to warn Stirling that he had received a reliable report from an informant in Benghazi that the attack was fatally compromised and that the enemy was lying in wait to ambush the SAS...Unquote

...but he was too late in delivering his warning...the SAS commandos were already upon the target and under fire by the German Afrika Korps in what became a bloody disaster...despite the courageous warning given by Caillou...

Author Ben MacIntyre, one of the foremost younger historians of WW2 and spy operations, goes on to describing Caillou on page 350 as...

Quote the eccentric tweed wearing intelligence agent encountered by Malcolm Pleydell in the Jebel mountains, became a big game hunter in Ethiopia,
    (Doug, it would appear that Alan Caillou playing a big game hunter on Tarzan was not far off the mark for him in his real life!)

Caillou founded a Shakespearean company in Tanganyika, wrote under the pen name Alan Caillou, and finally evolved into a successful Hollywood actor. He penned 52 mildly saucy novels with titles like The Love Hungry Girl at the Billion Dollar Oasis, and appeared in numerous television series in the 1960s and 1970s, including The Man From UNCLE, Daktari, and The Six Million Dollar Man. His most alarming role was in Quark, a short lived 1978 science fiction series in which he played the master of the galactic government and appeared only as a gigantic disembodied head! Unquote.

Allan Caillou as seen in Quark, as the Head (of Galactic Government)...ha, ha...this real life WW2 hero had a sense of humor as well...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Allan Caillou wrote his wartime memoir of his undercover spy work and escape from a POW camp in Italy, and his later adventures serving with Yugoslavian partisans in his 1953 bestselling book The World is Six Feet Square...after the war, he served again as chief of police in colonial Ethiopia and wrote another best selling memoir that is highly regarded as one of the most affectionate and hilarious accounts of British colonial life in Africa, Sheba Slept Here...as Ben MacIntyre said, Alan Caillou also penned over 50 very successful genre thrillers that sold hundreds of thousands of copies...he also wrote the book upon which the screenplay for the 1965 Charlton Heston and Sir Laurence Olivier movie Khartoum was based...he also wrote many of the episodes that he appeared in as an actor on Thriller, Man From UNCLE, Daktari, It Takes a Thief and The Six Million Dollar Man...he also has over 80 acting credits on IMDB...

A couple of the saucy thrillers written by Allan Caillou...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Allan Caillou immigrated to Canada before finding his way to Hollywood...he appeared as himself on You Bet Your Life with Graucho Marx in 1954, as the Bearded Traveller...this episode is in very nice shape on Youtube...

Here are some screen caps I took from Maverick season two Passage to Fort Doom (Mar. 8, 1959), featuring Allan Caillou with Jack Kelly, Arlene Howell and Diane McBain...
    Caillou 1.JPG
    Caillou 2.JPG
    Caillou 4.JPG
    Caillou 5.JPG
    Caillou 6.JPG
    Caillou 7.JPG
    Caillou 10.JPG
    Caillou 9.JPG

And in Jericho The Four Oclock Bomb to London (Dec.1, 1966)...screencaps from WAC set...Allan Caillou with Michael Rennie...
    Caillou 13.JPG
    Caillou 11.JPG

Allan Caillou also appeared in Rat Patrol season two The Hide and Go Seek Raid...I would love to know if the cast on that show knew that the guest actor guy playing a British General was the kind of real life Hero who actually did the daring-do of WW2 desert warfare and hit and run commando raids that they only played as actors...

Allan Caillou passed away at age 91 in 2006 at his retirement home in Sedona Arizona...married to the love of his life since 1939...some 67 years together...

On another interesting coincidence, one of my high school teachers was another storied and very famous commando in the SAS in WW2...Major Roy Farran, his Nom de Guerre being Paddy McGinty...true story!...and Roy Farran is also featured prominently in author Ben MacIntyres book Rogue Heroes...I am absolutely sure that my teacher Roy Farran personally knew Allan Caillou from their many daring and desperate adventures in Libya, Egypt and Italy...and from which they escaped with their lives, both to be highly decorated for heroism in combat with the Military Cross and DSO (Distinguished Service Order)...Roy Farran as a captain in WW2...
    [​IMG]

And looking more like the much loved high school teacher that I knew as a teenager...here wearing his many medals for Remembrance Day, our November 11th in Canada...Rest in Peace for all of them...
    [​IMG]

13. Message #3073 of 3198 Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    I own the Network BD edition of Space: 1999: season 1 only.
    That first season was fabulous and it was like watching 2001 on the small screen.
    Furthermore, it had a great guest cast: Peter Bowles, Joan Collins, Peter Cushing, Judy Geeson, Julian Glover, Christopher Lee.

morasp and Jeff Flugel like this.
  14. Message #3074 of 3198 Nov 12, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Fascinating recounting of this actor / writer, Randy! I must admit before this, I had no knowledge of this person (there are so many things in life of which I have no knowledge) and now I'm motivated to learn more. Such an interesting juxtaposition of his appearance on Rat Patrol and his real life.
    I will also add that your teacher, Roy Farran, far surpasses any of my high school teachers in terms of being engrossing, except maybe for my French teacher who was the first in our school to wear a mini skirt. Sacré bleu!

15. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Wow, what a fascinating post on a fascinating man, Randall - thanks so much for sharing all those details about the amazing life and times of Allan Caillou! And as a veteran yourself, I'd like to personally thank you for your past service.

As an odd coincidence...I had planned to watch that very episode of Maverick ("Passage to Fort Doom), without realizing that Caillou was in it...but damned if I couldn't track down the particular disc in question (S2, disc 6)...somehow, the stinking disc has gone walkabout...all other 5 S2 discs were there, but no disc 6! Aargh! I've been tearing my hair out trying to track the rogue disc down, but so far to no avail...it's got to be here somewhere, though! I think I must have left it in another DVD carry case a year or so ago, likely with plans to watch more episodes on that disc...hopefully I'll be able to find the sucker at some future point. I make it a point to return things to their proper place more promptly after viewing now.

Anyway, that looks like a great episode, with quite a stellar female guest cast. I did manage to watch an earlier S1 Maverick episode, to cap off a week of Warner westerns watching (which I shall discuss in greater depth anon).

morasp, Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  16. Message #3076 of 3198 Nov 12, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Yeah...most of the "cheesecake" photos of Doris occurred in her earlier career when she sported an unflattering hairdo and a less voluptuous figure. I think she looked her best when coiffed more like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Okay, high time to leave my adolescent-like fetish of Doris Day behind. Move on, Russ.

BobO'Link, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  17. Message #3077 of 3198 Nov 12, 2019
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Thanks, Russ! My God, had I have seen one of my younger teachers in a miniskirt, it would have blown all my circuit breakers...I must say that the discovery of who Allan Caillou had been in his previous lives was like peeling back the many layers of an onion, delightful and rewarding in every respect. He was the kind of guy that you wish you could have had a lengthy conversation with. It started with a few surprising revelations in his bio on IMDB (always worth reading for various actors, famous and otherwise), and then onto his Wikipedia bio, then a search on Google images and the Internet Archive...but having Ben MacIntyres book Rogue Heroes led me to that wild and incredible story of his night time encounter with some of Britains most famous warriors in the middle of the Sahara desert, in his heroic bid to warn them away from the German ambush...the description of Caillou wearing tweed golfing formal wear is only remarked upon as being surreal by Doctor Pleydell (a very famous surgeon in postwar Britain), as Caillou usually wore traditional Arab robes and headress while undercover, I can only surmise that he chose to appear as British as possible in approaching these deadly commandos in the dark...probably fearing being shot in an unfortunate friendly fire incident! Now, I want to read his two books of memoirs, and perhaps some of his spy thrillers as well...the revelation that he later played the floating and disembodied Head (of Galactic Government) on the weird and ridiculous short lived series Quark was a mind blower...and something that likely amazed and delighted his former wartime comrades in the late 70s...

Roy Farran was a great man, incredible soldier and a much loved teacher at my high school...later, he was a very successful politician as well...among other things, he taught electronics, and was very good at that...I once had the misfortune of startling him, clumsily dropping and breaking a power amplifier tube behind his back, the tube shattering with a loud pop...whereupon Farran whirled about, digging his fingers into my forearm in what I could only describe as a death grip...for a brief moment, I imagine he thought I was some pimply faced Hun with a grenade trying to attack him...I dropped to my knees in agony, at which point Farran realized he had really hurt this stupid and delicate idiot teenager...I remember the look of horror on his face...even in those days, you couldnt just kill a student and get away with it, ha, ha...he was worried that I might make a big deal about it and cause trouble for him...but I definitely would never have done that, feeling badly about breaking that expensive vacuum tube in the first place with my stupid fumblefingers...I did make a big deal about supposedly engaging in hand to hand combat with a famous SAS commando, though...and living to tell the tale, ha, ha...I got a kick in researching the life of Alan Caillou and discovering that there are, indeed, six degrees of separation in my having known one of his likely wartime comrades just by chance...

Jeff, thank you! That is another amazing coincidence! I hope you can find that wayward disc as soon as possible, as I know how crazy I can get when encountering such mysterious missing discs myself. I thought if I revisited that particular episode of Maverick just to get a few screen caps of Alan Caillou, that simply would not do if I neglected the young lovelies on display in that episode...thus, they are included for our edification, ha, ha...Arleen Howell (19 at the time) has an eye popping bathing-in-the-river scene and Diane McBain has a more wholesome role as she was only 17 at the time! Both girls have extensive WB TV credits of course, and Allan Caillou was also in a Surfside 6 episode with Diane McBain a few years later...Caillou wrote the 77 Sunset Strip season one episode A Check Will Do Nicely, and appeared in episodes of Cheyenne and Bronco too.

With Boris Karloffs Thriller, he wrote 3 great episodes...Hay Fork and Bill Hook, The Terror in Teakwood and La Strega...

Bert Greene, Rustifer and morasp like this.
  18. Message #3078 of 3198 Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Well, it was a week of Warner Bros' westerns here at rancho Flugel, and mighty fine viewing it was, too, spanning 1955 to 1962. Maverick was top of the heap, no surprise there, but all were consistently good shoot-'em-ups. Watched this close together, it was plain to see some common themes (several cavalry stories, recurring appearances by Warner stock players, etc.) and production styles (though the later-airing The Dakotas was slicker than snot as a purely physical production). It's just a pity that we have no Colt .45 or The Alaskans on DVD to complete the Warner westerns lineup.

Bronco
    2.12 "Every Man a Hero"
    Bronco escorts an officer’s wife (Patricia Barry) to a Comanche-besieged fort, manned by a skeleton crew of surviving prisoners from the stockade, presided over by a duplicitous sergeant (Simon Oakland). Most of the tension derives from the interactions between Bronco and the motley gang of ne’er-do-well soldiers, helped by a good guest cast, including Mike Road (voice of Race Bannon!) and Warren Oates. Not the best of the Broncos I've seen, but solid stuff.

Cheyenne
    - 1.10 "West of the River"
    Acting as a scout for the U.S. Army, Cheyenne is commandeered into leading a small group of soldiers fresh out of the guardhouse (and armed with brand spanking new repeating rifles) on a daring mission to rescue two sisters (Lois Collier and Stephanie Griffin) who have spent 5 years as captives of a Kiowa tribe. Freeing the women goes smoothly enough, but getting them back to the fort safely is a much harder proposition – not helped by the fact that neither sister welcomes their liberation. Man-mountain Clint Walker towers over his female co-stars; Walker’s an amiable screen presence, but can also bring a believable authority of command when necessary. Some good action and dramatics make this one an exciting watch, though I always roll my eyes a little at these older cowboys vs. Indians scenes, when it seems like 50 Indians bite the dust for every 1 or 2 cowboys. I remember Ms. Collier chiefly from her role in the excellent Delmer Daves' film The Last Wagon, where she played a similarly unlikable, petulant minx. Also with Trevor Bardette (as the girls' father) and Lane Bradford, both of whom will show up again later...

[​IMG]
    Lois Collier

[​IMG]
    Stephanie Griffin, barely up to Clint Walker's belly button.

Sugarfoot - 1.18 "Short Range"
    "Sugarfoot" Tom Brewster (Will Hutchins) takes a job as a puppeteer assisting a sultry young traveling carny (Erin O’Brien), in this story by busy writer/ director Montgomery Pittman. When a little girl tells him her uncle plans to kill her, Tom is nonplussed…but soon realizes there's truth to the girl's story, which is tied in to a plot to sell guns to the Apache. Hutchins is an ingratiating screen presence, and has fun providing a variety of puppet voices, romancing both female guest stars (the foxy Ms. O'Brien and Olive Sturgess), and also showing he’s no slouch in the action department, pulling off a couple of smooth moves to take down the lead baddy in the climax. I must confess, though, to not quite getting the episode title.

The Dakotas
    - 1.11 "A Walk Through the Badlands"
    Marshal Regan (Larry Ward) and his three trusty deputies (including Chad Everett, Michael Greene and scene stealer extraordinaire Jack Elam) get caught up in a desperate cat-and-mouse campaign between rival cavalry factions, rapidly running out of water as they traverse pitiless desert terrain. Ed Nelson plays a real creep here, as the martinet lieutenant of a dwindling cavalry troop with ulterior motives of his own. He’s a right proper weasel, and he dominates this grim episode over Ward, who is believably hard-bitten and has a great gravelly voice, but otherwise remains a rather charmless lead. In all other respects, this is an admirably tough and uncompromisingly gritty hour of classic television, impressively filmed almost completely in harsh exterior locations. Lane Bradford returns as yet another no-nonsense sergeant, and good ol' Strother Martin shows up as a wounded soldier with claustrophobia.

Lawman - 1.16 "The Encounter"
    Marshal Dan Troop (lean and laconic John Russell) rides out to track down a pair of ruthless outlaws (one of them played by the Professor himself, Russell Johnson). On the way, Troop is attacked by a (rather cuddly-looking) bear, is seriously wounded and is then reluctantly cared for by one of the outlaws' sister (a very young and actually, rather attractive, Louise Fletcher, miles away from Nurse Ratched and Kai Winn). The woman gradually thaws toward the stoic marshal, but what will she do when her outlaw brother returns? This is a taut episode (written by Claire Huffaker) with zero fat on the bone, and features some good terse dialogue and an excellent guest turn by Ms. Fletcher. As is often the case with classic TV shows, characters fall in love far too quickly for realism's sake, but overall, this is a sharp little slice of half-hour western drama.

[​IMG]

Maverick
    - 1.8 "Hostage!"
    As mentioned above, I had planned to watch the S2 episode, "Passage to Fort Doom," but couldn't track down the errant disc, so instead watched this one, featuring Jack Kelly's debut as brother Bart. Right off the bat, Kelly and James Garner share an easy camaraderie, as the pair try to finagle passage on the launch of a new riverboat, loaded with wealthy New Orleans clientele, ripe for the gambling pickings. When the daughter of the haughty French owner (Stephen Bekassy) of the riverboat is kidnapped, the Maverick boys - both in desperate need of cash - get involved. Bret remains with the girl as a hostage, while Bart tries to persuade her father to go along with his rescue plan, despite attempts by a local police inspector (Trevor Bardette, again) to beat the location of the kidnapper's hideout out of him.

This was the standout of this particular batch of Warner western episodes...not a shocker, as this series is the undeniable high point of the studio's TV output, thanks to clever scripting, canny casting and a fresh perspective on the genre. Plus, it's always a treat to see both Maverick brothers in action. Guest villain Don Durant (who resembles a less scary-looking Henry Silva) would go on to star in his own short-lived western series, Johnny Ringo.

19. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    Two western series I discovered lately thanks to DVD and both are really good to follow.
    Wonderful leading cast and guest cast all the way.
    Lawman was the Gunsmoke of Warner Bros, as a reminder.

morasp and Jeff Flugel like this.
  20. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Yes, Arlene Howell in the last of her appearances as Cindy Lou Brown. Quite the pair of gams on that gal!

[​IMG]

Flashgear likes this.