What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (7 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I Still love the Dean Martin show. It is hard to get complete uncut versions. In fact I have a fondness for Variety type shows in general and I miss them. One great one was the Dorsey Brothers Stage Show. In one night you could see a juggler, a comedian, listen to big band, pop, and rock and roll. In fact contrary to popular opinion, Elvis first TV performance was there and not on Ed Sullivan.

ADDED actual performance

ADDED: You guys got me searching again and I ran across this site.
https://www.reruncentury.com/series/pd/?s=1309

It lists TV listings by year along with links to many shows in public domain and links to DVDs for others. FUN.

Back then I had little use for variety shows. Most featured music and acts I just didn't care for. Still, there were exceptions.

I loved The Smothers Brothers in its entirety. Dick and Tom's folk songs were splendid, the other musical acts were people I actually listened to, and the skits were just on the edge enough to be quite subversive. After one of Pat Paulsen's "commentaries" I asked if I could send for a copy (they said you could at the end of every one). Dad said "Sure, just don't expect to get anything." So I did. I still have the one they sent in the envelope it was mailed in.

As a teenager I actually used to go home from cruising for an hour on Saturday nights just to watch The Carol Burnett Show. Later I mostly enjoyed The Flip Wilson Show but it, or rather Flip, started to be the same old, same old every week and it grew tiresome.

In the 60s it seemed like summers were nothing but variety shows. I mostly didn't like TV in the summers (but that didn't stop me from watching) as the networks would suspend most of the regular programs for summer fill-in variety shows and other test shows, most of which never made the regular schedule. No endless reruns like today as most shows were 30-38 episode seasons with few, if any at all, reruns. As you guys know - they'd start in August/September, not air during holiday weeks, and end in May or June to be gone until the next Fall if they returned at all and you rarely knew if they'd return until the TV Guide Fall Preview showed up at your house.

Sometime in the 80s I noticed there weren't any variety shows on any more. It didn't bother me as they'd all somewhat degenerated into a very formulaic affair with the only differentiation being the host, and often they were so similar you could swap the host(s) around and few people would notice.

A few years ago I got a hankering to see some of them again when I discovered episodes of The Carol Burnett Show were available on DVD. I purchased one of the sets and enjoyed it so much, again, that I purchased several more. That lead to discovering the greatest hits releases for The Smothers Brothers Show so I picked those up (man... I wish they'd do that one in full season sets!). Then I snagged a 6 disc set for The Dean Martin Show (the one from Time-Life), found Deano's show was excellent, and I remembered more of it than I'd thought I'd seen. I think the show with the balsa piano is in that set (can't easily check as it's in storage right now). I'd purchase a few more of his show.

After getting on a huge Beatles nostalgia kick from watching Ron Howard's documentary I purchased discs of The Ed Sullivan Show which featured their appearances. Other than on clip shows and in documentaries I'd never seen those performances or shows in full before (we were at Church while Sullivan was on). I'd tried to be sick the night of those performances so I could stay home but it didn't work. Mom saw through the act. Sullivan *was* variety with such a huge range of acts on every show I've seen. Truly something for everyone. A feat few others pulled off.

Then... I purchased a set with some very early Johnny Carson that had a sit-com he'd starred in during the 50s (and discovered that it's a fun show). That lead to picking up a few of the "Vault" sets of The Tonight Show. While I never watched that one with any regularity, watching those shows on disc hit home as to how much I miss being able to watch him on occasion. The current crop of late night shows just don't hold a candle to Carson.

It's quite fun revisiting some of those old variety shows. Even so, I know I'd not bother watching if the format returned to the airwaves as I disconnected my TV from cable a couple of years ago in favor of 100% disc viewing and haven't looked back nor regretted the move. Every time I watch something with my wife or grandkids on her set (it's still on cable) I'm reminded of why I disconnected mine. It actually has little to do with the program content. There are some really good shows on and I purchase them on disc. It's the incessant commercial interruptions that drive me to distraction. It makes me appreciate my collection even more.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Knight Rider-K.I.T.T. vs. K.A.R.R. (November 4, 1984)

This was a very good episode that had an awesome voice actor as the evil K.A.R.R. Sinister intentions as KARR is unearthed by some unsuspecting young couple, and helped doing its bidding by dubious methods. The showdown was thrilling. I wonder who will win the war of good vs. evil?

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold

This was a very good episode that had an awesome voice actor as the evil K.A.R.R. Sinister intentions as KARR is unearthed by some unsuspecting young couple, and helped doing its bidding by dubious methods. The showdown was thrilling. I wonder who will win the war of good vs. evil?

This is the Blu-ray set?

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan

View attachment 59719
View attachment 59722

View attachment 59723

View attachment 59721

View attachment 59720

View attachment 59714

View attachment 59717

View attachment 59718

View attachment 59715

View attachment 59716

For some reason, this post has made me think that after 25 years, it's time I spend some time watching Knight Rider.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well for the first time I can remember I did a marathon not rooted in an actress but a theme. The "dual-role" appearance rooted in old-fashioned split screen technology of the 60s!

McHale's Navy, S1-"Alias Captain Binghamton" (Joe Flynn dual role)

Gilligan's Island, S2-"Will The Real Mr. Howell Stand Up?" (Jim Backus dual role)

Alfred Hitchcock Presents, S1
-"The Case Of Mr. Pelham" (Tom Ewell dual role)

Hogan's Heroes, S2-
"Heil, Klink" (John Banner dual role)

Sam Benedict-
"Seventeen Gypsies and a Sinner Named Charlie" (Edmond O'Brien dual role)

The Adventures Of Superman, S3-
"Jimmy The Kid" (Jack Larson dual role)

The Man From UNCLE, S3-
"The Galatea Affair" (Joan Collins dual role)

Get Smart, S1-"Too Many Chiefs" (Ed Platt dual role)

Obviously, a marathon like this could really last a long time even without resorting to the Patty Duke Show!

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Back then I had little use for variety shows. Most featured music and acts I just didn't care for. Still, there were exceptions.

I loved The Smothers Brothers in its entirety. Dick and Tom's folk songs were splendid, the other musical acts were people I actually listened to, and the skits were just on the edge enough to be quite subversive. After one of Pat Paulsen's "commentaries" I asked if I could send for a copy (they said you could at the end of every one). Dad said "Sure, just don't expect to get anything." So I did. I still have the one they sent in the envelope it was mailed in.

As a teenager I actually used to go home from cruising for an hour on Saturday nights just to watch The Carol Burnett Show. Later I mostly enjoyed The Flip Wilson Show but it, or rather Flip, started to be the same old, same old every week and it grew tiresome.

In the 60s it seemed like summers were nothing but variety shows. I mostly didn't like TV in the summers (but that didn't stop me from watching) as the networks would suspend most of the regular programs for summer fill-in variety shows and other test shows, most of which never made the regular schedule. No endless reruns like today as most shows were 30-38 episode seasons with few, if any at all, reruns. As you guys know - they'd start in August/September, not air during holiday weeks, and end in May or June to be gone until the next Fall if they returned at all and you rarely knew if they'd return until the TV Guide Fall Preview showed up at your house.

Sometime in the 80s I noticed there weren't any variety shows on any more. It didn't bother me as they'd all somewhat degenerated into a very formulaic affair with the only differentiation being the host, and often they were so similar you could swap the host(s) around and few people would notice.

A few years ago I got a hankering to see some of them again when I discovered episodes of The Carol Burnett Show were available on DVD. I purchased one of the sets and enjoyed it so much, again, that I purchased several more. That lead to discovering the greatest hits releases for The Smothers Brothers Show so I picked those up (man... I wish they'd do that one in full season sets!). Then I snagged a 6 disc set for The Dean Martin Show (the one from Time-Life), found Deano's show was excellent, and I remembered more of it than I'd thought I'd seen. I think the show with the balsa piano is in that set (can't easily check as it's in storage right now). I'd purchase a few more of his show.

After getting on a huge Beatles nostalgia kick from watching Ron Howard's documentary I purchased discs of The Ed Sullivan Show which featured their appearances. Other than on clip shows and in documentaries I'd never seen those performances or shows in full before (we were at Church while Sullivan was on). I'd tried to be sick the night of those performances so I could stay home but it didn't work. Mom saw through the act. Sullivan *was* variety with such a huge range of acts on every show I've seen. Truly something for everyone. A feat few others pulled off.

Then... I purchased a set with some very early Johnny Carson that had a sit-com he'd starred in during the 50s (and discovered that it's a fun show). That lead to picking up a few of the "Vault" sets of The Tonight Show. While I never watched that one with any regularity, watching those shows on disc hit home as to how much I miss being able to watch him on occasion. The current crop of late night shows just don't hold a candle to Carson.

It's quite fun revisiting some of those old variety shows. Even so, I know I'd not bother watching if the format returned to the airwaves as I disconnected my TV from cable a couple of years ago in favor of 100% disc viewing and haven't looked back nor regretted the move. Every time I watch something with my wife or grandkids on her set (it's still on cable) I'm reminded of why I disconnected mine. It actually has little to do with the program content. There are some really good shows on and I purchase them on disc. It's the incessant commercial interruptions that drive me to distraction. It makes me appreciate my collection even more.
Amen on the commercials.

The problem with variety shows is our constant bugaboo, music rights. Many of these series will never see the light of day and the form will be largely forgotten.

Like 77 Sunset Strip - our only hope it seems is that they will be shown on Retro TV broadcast.

We used to enjoy many of the obscure summer fill in variety shows as well - Mac Davis - Tony Orlando - John Gary - Johnny Cash.
images

dawn-yes.jpg

John+Gary+Ad+Chicago+TV+Guide+12+14+20+1968+001.jpg

the_johnny_cash_show.jpg

At least we can still get some from the Variety king - Hollywood Palace DVDs that was the closest to Ed Sullivan in sheer scope of programming variation.
the-hollywood-palace-3fd264b0-52b3-451f-9874-3dc866cfda8-resize-750.jpeg

SullivanWeb-e1503585852859.jpg

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Been on a bit of a Sci-Fi kick recently.

Doctor Who: Tom Baker: Complete Season 7 (Season 18) Blu-ray
The Keeper Of Traken (18.21, 18.22, 18.23, 18.24) Anthony Ainley, Sheila Ruskin, Denis Carey, Geoffrey Beevers. The Doctor is summoned to Traken after his return to N-Space. Adric is aboard. The Master is looking for a way to escape his imprisonment and take revenge just because. Excellent story and a fine segue into the end of an era for Tom Baker.

Oddly enough, this is the first complete story of Doctor Who I ever saw. I live in Georgia and GPTV was the only place to view this series. During pledge drives, the Whovians manned the phones every Saturday collecting pledges to keep this series on the air. JNT could be found in the studio at least once during each drive. Seems like they were held twice a year. I was aware of the show but never took the time to look it up (having a two year old probably had something to do with it). I remember the pitch of being a member as we were about to be introduced to the Fifth Doctor. They played the 90 minute versions every Saturday. This was the early 80's. I admit to being very lost but intrigued enough to tune in the following week (I didn't realize I had started at the end). I enjoyed what I saw enough to become a member of GPTV until the show ended.

Logopolis (18.25, 18.26, 18.27, 18.28) Anthony Ainley, Delore Whiteman, Tom Georgeson, John Fraser. A very busy, complicated story dealing with recursion (multiples of things like a living Escher painting-Spoiler for Castrovalva). Still intrigued especially after seeing that Nyssa was along as well as a pushy redhead (Tegan). Without much of any info other than what I could gather from Starlog, I tuned in and was surprised at the final scene. As I said, I fully supported this show with my dollars as I thought it was a great way to end the week. This series still hold up for me. I wasn't really invested in Tom Baker that much (very intrigued by The Doctor though) and never missed a Peter Davison episode. So my Doctor is number 5. I have really found these Blu-ray sets to be amazing and chock full of all types of info. I really like the "Behind The Sofa" segments; like watching a commentary.

So we go from grown up to childish.

Lost In Space: The Complete Classic Series (Blu-ray) Remastered Widescreen

All That Glitters (1.26) Werner Klemperer, Larry Ward. Penny encounters a prisoner who gives her a disc that will give her the greates treasure. Smith dreams of riches. He gets Penny to "partner" with him to uncover the treasure. Greed wins out and Smith develops a conscience after he loses Penny to his greed.

The Lost Civilization (1.27) Royal Dano, Kym Karath. A Will and Robot story. Will awakens a Princess with his kiss and unknowingly puts Earth in the path of conquerors. Nice reuse of Seaview props for this lost civilization.

A Change of Space (1.28) Will and Dr. Smith stumble upon a strange spaceship that looks like the Seaview diving bell. Will enters and takes a trip around the galaxy and becomes a super genius. Dr. Smith seeks the same upgrade but upon his return he is only an old man.

Follow The Leader (1.29) One of the best episodes of this season, possibly of this series. There is a reason that Guy Williams name is first in the credits and he reminds us all of his talent in this one. His physical and vocal changes while he is posessed truly sell the possession (I realize that Canto is played by a voice actor). Love of family and the father/son bond displayed in the final act touched me. i have never seen this episode and the emotional grounding was so different from the other episodes. I wish more episodes were of this caliber. Great episode.

For this season at least, Dr. Smith seems to have been held in check. I really liked most of these episodes. I realize color brings out the clownish nature of the next two seasons, sure hope I can find some good ones to come. Wish me luck :rolleyes:.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Completed third go on The A-Team; soon moving on to fourth (1985-86)

ateamfourthseasonfirstdisc.jpg

The fourth go will begin with what will be the last of the two-hour shows, "Judgment Day" (OAD Tues. Sept. 24, 1985 on NBC); this season will not only be the final full one on The A-Team (the fifth and final season in 1986 being a half-go), but also the last season for NBC's Proud N and 11-feathered peacock (being as NBC in 1986 would change to the peacock we know them for today [the last half-go being with today's 6-feathered bird]).

Here's NBC's promo video for the last of the Proud N seasons (1985-86):

And also (albeit I have not seen the fourth-season debut in full yet), here is what the Herman EICOP and Cannell copyright cards will look like this season:

ateameicopmatthewnhermanseason4.jpg

ateamfourthseasoncopyright1985.jpg

Basically, in that fourth-season copyright card formation (which would also be used for the fifth and final half-go in 1986), the IATSE bug is between the disclaimers and the Cannell copyright. Matthew N. Herman's EICOP credit will have his EICOP title in two lines above his name.

And here's the fourth-season opening (picture quality isn't the best, but the title track is apparently in stereo):

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
Switched it up quite a bit last night. First was two more episodes of Streets of SF. In my experience most shows usually take at least half of the first season getting things together. This show has been great right out of the gate. Well written scripts. Great scenery. Enjoying the early 70’s funky vibes.
Next was another episode of From the Earth to the Moon, halfway through this rewatch.
Then a season two episode of The A-Team.
Lastly I am halfway through season 6 of Mannix. While I am enjoying Mannix I don’t like it as much as shows which have more regular characters. Magnum P.I., Stargate SG-1, Star Trek (in its various incarnations), these all had a good 4 or more “main” characters and developed good backstories for them. Mannix has mainly just himself. Sure you have Peggy and whichever police lieutenant which is on duty but it is mainly just Mannix. Not sure if I’ll revisit Mannix after finishing up my first watch.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Switched it up quite a bit last night. First was two more episodes of Streets of SF. In my experience most shows usually take at least half of the first season getting things together. This show has been great right out of the gate. Well written scripts. Great scenery. Enjoying the early 70’s funky vibes.
Next was another episode of From the Earth to the Moon, halfway through this rewatch.
Then a season two episode of The A-Team.
Lastly I am halfway through season 6 of Mannix. While I am enjoying Mannix I don’t like it as much as shows which have more regular characters. Magnum P.I., Stargate SG-1, Star Trek (in its various incarnations), these all had a good 4 or more “main” characters and developed good backstories for them. Mannix has mainly just himself. Sure you have Peggy and whichever police lieutenant which is on duty but it is mainly just Mannix. Not sure if I’ll revisit Mannix after finishing up my first watch.
I watched Mannix on the original broadcast and enjoyed it but a little while back we tried a couple and just couldn't get into it again. Not bad, just not compelling. Perhaps you've discovered the reason or maybe it's just so many other better things to watch.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

I watched Mannix on the original broadcast and enjoyed it but a little while back we tried a couple and just couldn't get into it again. Not bad, just not compelling. Perhaps you've discovered the reason or maybe it's just so many other better things to watch.

I like Mannix quite a bit but think Harold makes a good point about not having that core team of supporting players to help add that "like family" vibe that many of the best comfort food TV shows offer. I thought they were trying for something similar when the show added Albie (Joe Mantell), Mannix's lower-rent P.I. buddy who helps him out for a handful of episodes in season 2. But that didn't last long.

That said, Mannix has a style and swagger I really enjoy, and Mike Connors is always a likeable anchor. Perhaps a show best not binged, but instead sprinkled throughout more regular programming...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks