1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 28, 2015.

1. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

Channel 9 was home to Bill Kennedy, a small-time Hollywood actor who became a fixture on Detroit tv hosting movies. It was a job he was born for, even if his answers to the phoned-in questions weren't always exactly accurate. He starred in a serial once, but is probably best remembered for the 'faster than a speeding bullet' narration on Adventures of Superman. I'm old enough to also have fond memories of the Popeye cartoons CKLW would run, hosted by Captain Jolly or Poopdeck Paul. Another kid's show was Jingles, a court jester type fellow who had several sidekicks including puppet Cecil B Rabbit (whose speaking voice was patterned after Paul Harvey). They threw in occasional jokes and bits that went over my head but kept the adults amused.

Mysto, Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  2. Jasper70

Jasper70 Stunt Coordinator

Harold

I just broke out my DVD sets of this. I have the earliest releases as I bought them as they came out. It’s been five years or so since I watched them. Watched two episodes from season one tonight. These sets are 1:78 widescreen. I thought for sure they were the OAR. Getting older...can’t remember things anymore lol.
    Great show. Now I’ll have to watch the entire series.

Flashgear and mark-edk like this.
  3. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

I'm midway through Season 7 now, though it's frustrating watching it on streaming services. For some reason most of season 7 on Amazon Prime is in two-channel mono. It's in stereo on Hulu, but they use the 4:3 transfers. I did check out a sample on iTunes and they have both widescreen and stereo...but they don't have a streaming service yet. So I'm putting up with mono for now as I know the Amazon episodes return to stereo before the season ends. Still enjoying the show but the reduction in RDA's screen time is starting to become obvious.

Jeff Flugel and Jasper70 like this.
  4. Jasper70

Jasper70 Stunt Coordinator

Harold
    Honestly I didn’t like it as much after RDA basically left.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  5. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Thanks a bunch for those Wagon Train screen grabs, Randall! They look about on a par with A Man Called Shenandoah or The Loner...which is good enough for me!

Flashgear likes this.
  6. Message #2146 of 2346 Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    This was up there with your all-time best rants, Russ...Good stuff!

I don't think I've watched more than a minute or two at a time of Charlie's Angels in decades. Am actually curious to see some of the early seasons now. Such is my love for '70s TV, that maybe - just maybe - I'll find them more entertaining now.

Must confess, I'm not the biggest Jaclyn Smith fan; she always struck me as a cold fish. I'll take Farrah over her all day long. But Cheryl Ladd - now there's a real stunner.

[​IMG]

IMO, none of the Angels, with the exception of the matronly but competent Kate Jackson, could act their way out of a paper bag...but then, thespic ability was probably surplus to requirements on this particular show.

Rustifer, BobO'Link, Jasper70 and 5 others like this.
  7. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Coincidentally, I also watched an episode of Blake's 7 (S2 episode 13, "Star One") in honor of the late, great Paul Darrow. His character Kerr Avon is one of the coolest anti-hero characters of all time, in my opinion. I also have the Region 2 DVDs, which look pretty good to me, but I agree that a Region 1 set would be a swell thing. Will have more to say on Paul Darrow, the show and on this particular episode, later, in my "Recently Watched" wrap-up.

JohnHopper likes this.
  8. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Supporting Actor

John Hopper

Lovely deep blue eyes.

9. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Supporting Actor

John Hopper
    Jackson was first a regular character on the 1972 The Rookies.
    Charlie's Angels recycled the footages from the police academy from that show, by the way.

10. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Supporting Actor

Benjamin
    Both were Spelling-Goldberg productions, hence the similarities between the two.

~Ben

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  11. Jack P

Jack P Producer

And Jackson ended up on Charlie's Angels because she had some contractual deal to be in the next series Spelling did when Rookies ended.

Jeff Flugel and BobO'Link like this.
  12. Message #2152 of 2346 Jun 19, 2019
    Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Bryan:

Any additional screencaps of the actress in the black outfit would be most welcome in this forum :rolleyes:

The actress' name is Laura Kamins by the way.

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Bryan^H like this.
  13. Message #2153 of 2346 Jun 19, 2019
    Purple Wig

Purple Wig Agent

Alan
    Most of the 1980's shows I watched were the ones still in the classic vein, or with leads from that era. I haven't seen them since then and don't know how they'd hold up. Some examples: House Calls (Wayne Rogers), Check It Out (Don Adams), programs with Richard Crenna, McLean Stevenson, Norman Fell. I was a teenager then and the shows like Full House, Charles in Charge, Family Ties, etc didn't appeal. I did like the Fast Times series.

I won't hold my breath waiting for a DVD release of the extremely short-lived "America", a McLean Stevenson/Sarah Purcell hosted talk show that I did watch and recall some sort of "Batman" reunion on.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  14. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I stumbled into a Stefanie Powers marathon because recently I saw on YT a 1978 TV movie with David Janssen called "Nowhere to Run" in which Stefanie unfortunately was cast against type as a shrewish wife and badly served in a film that I ended up hating for other reasons. I decided to go through some other 70s guest shots of hers just to get the memory of that out!

Harry O, S1-"Second Sight"
    -At least in this one, she and Janssen get along with each other! Stefanie plays a blind woman with apparent psychic ability.

Barnaby Jones, S2-"Echo Of A Murder"
    -Stefanie and Wayne Rogers (already appearing on MASH, so he must have done this before MASH, S2 started filming) conspire to fake a death to scam the insurance company. It's easier for me to see Stefanie playing "bad girl" than shrew like she was in that TV flick.

The FBI, S7-"The Buyer"
    -Stefanie, Tim O'Connor and David Hedison have stolen a fortune in platinum ingots and are trying to unload them on a buyer in San Francisco that Erskine poses as. A lot of SF location shooting in the episode, just before the debut of "Streets Of San Francisco."

Cannon, S2-"The Rip Off"
    -The only time I've ever seen Stefanie play a mother of a young child. Her ex-husband, crooked businessman George Maharis is terrorizing her to get custody of their son, and he's even gone to the trouble of stealing all of Cannon's furniture just to get his file cabinet! Early role for Max Gail ("Barney Miller") as one of Maharis's hoods.

The Streets Of San Francisco, S1-"Tower Beyond Tragedy"
    -Edward Mulhare in a very chilling psycho role first kills Stefanie playing one role, and then he fixates on Stefanie in another role trying to make her over into his murder victim.

The Rockford Files, S2-"The Real Easy Red Dog"
    -Stefanie plays a rival PI who tricks Rockford into a case that she thinks can be a decoy from her own case, but unintentionally lets Rockford discover a murder that the police have overlooked.

McCloud, S2-"Top Of The World, Ma"
    -Big lug from Dayton, Bo Svensson attempts to get money he thinks is owed him by numbers boss Robert Webber. Stefanie plays a brassy photo model/ex-hooker he encounters along the way (She's basically playing a Barbara Rhoades type part).

[​IMG]

15. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    Most of you know that I am a push over for mysteries. In fact I started a thread for 30's and 40's mystery and crime movie series. (Proudly we have done a short blurb on every series) Over the last few weeks I have been slowly working on watching as many different TV series mysteries of long past as I can. I have been using this list:
    http://www.thrillingdetective.com/trivia/tvchron.html

My problem is that many of these are public domain and a lot of them are not available on commercial DVD so I have been reluctant to review them here. For example last night we watched Johnny Midnight with Edmund O'Brien - Actor turned detective. My watch came from youtube as the only copies I find for sale are gray market. I am pretty sure these are pd.

Should I write about them here? Should I start a new thread? Should I just watch in silence?

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  16. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Silence in not in your vocabulary, Marv.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  17. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    Sure it is Russ - it's right next to salubrious.:P
    You would have a field day with some of these series.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  18. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    How come?

19. Message #2159 of 2346 Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    Early TV frequently comes with a large order of Cheese. Your loverly sarcastic style would do some of these proud. Lots of fodder for the scribe.

ADDED: And you are baiting me not to be silent aren't you?:laugh:

Jeff Flugel and Rustifer like this.
  20. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Ahh...now you're talking my cup of tea. I'm a pig for fodder.

Jeff Flugel and Mysto like this.